WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've waited months to post these pictures...but still, I cannot find the words to convey my feelings.

In a tiny corner of a marketplace in Beijing's Tuanjiehu, I found a man...

IMG_0117.jpg

IMG_0118.jpg

He's been overhauling my watch ever since. The watch in the picture is a Olma, with a broken mainspring, which he replaced a new one in 30 minutes. After he replaced the mainspring, he regulated to within +30 seconds/day.

IMG_0128.jpg

IMG_0130.jpg

All for less around $12.

This is China.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Wait...what? I stared at this picture for a good 10 seconds trying to figure out exactly what I was looking at. He's doing this with his feet? And he replaced your broken mainspring AND regulated the movement...with his feet? I can't even fathom how this is possible.

Is there any particular reason he does this? Also, as amazing as that is, I think I'd be washing my watch before I put it back on.

·
Registered
9,059 Posts
Is there any particular reason he does this? Also, as amazing as that is, I think I'd be washing my watch before I put it back on.

I'm sure it's not by choice. Hey, for that feat (ha) you can muster up the energy to wash your watch afterwards.

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It is not by choice, and he keeps his feet fairly clean. But I noticed that toe nails are essential for pulling the crown sometimes. :)
Many watchmakers in Beijing's Panjiayuan (a famous second-hand market) wouldn't believe when I told them about this guy, that's why I took the pictures to show them. And in some areas, he is well heard-of.

I am almost proud to have my watches overhauled by him, it's always a marvel to watch him work, the admission to his performance itself is priceless.

·
Registered
9,059 Posts
I am almost proud to have my watches overhauled by him, it's always a marvel to watch him work, the admission to his performance itself is priceless.

I bet. Incredible story, thanks for sharing it.

·
Registered
7,751 Posts
Really amazing! That's determination for you!

·
Registered
2,866 Posts
Astonishing.

·
Registered
9,059 Posts

·
Registered
676 Posts
That is indeed incredibly inspirational. Amazing, just amazing.

·
Registered
575 Posts
There are so many folks out there in the world that inspire us by overcoming enormous tragedy; this man is obviously one. I have a hard time doing that with my hands; thanks to GOD that I have them is what this makes me feel.

And, good for you for spreading the word and helping him with more people to serve.

·
Registered
4,427 Posts
Wow! I missed this thread first time around; that is one inspirational gentleman! Very humbling, thanks for posting it.

~Sherry.

·
Registered
3,467 Posts
This is truly amazing! Can you PM me his contact? I am going to beijing next week.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts