WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
614 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
it just can't be something I've flipped in the past. Doesn't matter if I get a newer vintage or a different dial color. If the watch is X Brand Y Model and I've owned it before and got rid of it, I can't get it again.

Seems pretty sensible now that I think about it, not sure why I didn't just implement this rule myself, would have saved me some needless flipping.

·
Registered
2,232 Posts
RUN! IT'S A TRAP!!! :-d

It's not a bad idea, but tastes change and some times change back. Getting what you're excited about now is the important part, I think.

Anyhow, if you're like me and you made an agreement you'd stick to it just on principle, but I'd still wonder if she'd notice what you got one way or the other. ;-)

·
Registered
14,924 Posts
You complaining or bragging? . . .;-)

Reactions: antiga and mleok

·
Registered
2,470 Posts
My wife also says "You can buy whatever watch you want, BUT..." and her caveat is "It has to be a reasonable price" but she refuses to reveal an exact upper limit dollar value. So I recently tested the waters with a watch purchase for around $700 and it didn't trip any alarms with her. I'm considering using the flipping option next. I've surveyed eBay for a couple of months and I have one automatic I don't like much anymore that's regularly being offered used on eBay at around $1000. But, of course, I don't know the actual selling prices. I'm thinking maybe I could capture a bid for $800-$900 for my old watch in an eBay flip, add what is "reasonable" for a watch in my wife's mind and end up with a little more expensive watch!

·
Registered
29,181 Posts
If I had a dime for every time I heard that, I would be hip deep in Patek's now........

·
Registered
7,749 Posts
quick ....hit the Rolex AD

·
Registered
10,872 Posts
Have you ever owned a Patek Philippe?...Now you can....:-!

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
Since she's letting you pick a different model from the same brand, you could always opt for the strap version (if you've owned the bracelet before) or vice versa.
With many brands (e.g. Omega) the strap versions are a different model number than the bracelet numbers. ;-)

·
Registered
922 Posts
The Dark Knight;7816820]it just can't be something I'v

e flipped in the past. Doesn't matter if I get a newer vintage or a different dial color. If the watch is X Brand Y Model and I've owned it before and got rid of it, I can't get it again.

Seems pretty sensible now that I think about it, not sure why I didn't just implement this rule myself, would have saved me some needless flipping.[/QUOTE]

44816132.jpg

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
Have you ever owned a Patek Philippe?...Now you can....:-!
This might be a scenario in which he gains a Patek but loses a wife...

8 replies until somebody suggested a Patek, I thought it would have been sooner...

·
Registered
614 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Since she's letting you pick a different model from the same brand, you could always opt for the strap version (if you've owned the bracelet before) or vice versa.
With many brands (e.g. Omega) the strap versions are a different model number than the bracelet numbers. ;-)
LOL, she picked up on that during my Omega flipping phase.

She actually doesn't have an issue with my WIS-ness as long as it doesn't put us in financial harm (it doesn't, I have more sense than that), and as long as I don't go crazy with quantity (I've never really wanted much more than 5 watches or so anyways, and these days I just want two).

I found out what she's had a MAJOR problem with is why I buy a watch just to sell it in 1 month, or why I had 2 2531.80s and 2 2220.80s and don't have any of them anymore, and still think about getting an SMPc. She thinks that's just stupid.

·
Registered
13,853 Posts
I found out what she's had a MAJOR problem with is why I buy a watch just to sell it in 1 month, or why I had 2 2531.80s and 2 2220.80s and don't have any of them anymore, and still think about getting an SMPc. She thinks that's just stupid.
What if you had a major problem with her owning more than one pair of black shoes? :-d

·
Registered
561 Posts
If your wife is anything like my gf, she won't notice even if you bought back the exact same watch.

Worst case, if she says it looks familiar, i'll say "Didn't you say all my watches looked the same?"

·
Registered
389 Posts
Sell the house, buy a Patek, live in a cardboard box.

Sent from teh interweb thingy

·
Registered
3,256 Posts

It's a trap!! get out of there..whenever my wife says that...... is about to happen..

1 - 18 of 18 Posts