WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I found this interesting pocket watch, protruding from a dirty envelope, while scouring a junk shop in West Virginia.
Could not find it listed in my watches guide, but online search did turn up a few auction results for "Bautte" pocket watches.
Close, but no cigar? Am hesitant to attempt opening it myself to view the movement.
Perhaps someone can help me determine whether this intriguing item is worth the cost of restoration...
Thanx for your attention!

Attachments

·
Registered
7,777 Posts
"Am hesitant to open it..." Then don't be. No movement pics, no watch ID, same rules apply.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanx for inspiring me to take knife-prier in hand; was much easier than I envisioned.
Here are shots of the movement which, to my totally untrained eye, appears unremarkable.
No fancy engraving, etc. as I'd hoped. (What do you want for 20 bucks...)
Does this provide any clues to its origin?

Attachments

·
Zenith Forum Co-moderator
18,016 Posts
The movement is a fairly standard, though higher grade, Lepine V style calibre from around the third quarter of the 19th century or a little later. I am not sure where you can see "Baulle" since I can see "Bautte". Bautte (originally Moulinie & Bautte) were later bought up by Girard Perregaux who founded their lengthy history, going back to the 1790s, on Bautte (they themselves are rather more recent).

Hartmut Richter

·
Registered
7,777 Posts
The movement appears to be on the upper end of the "budget" sort of the Lepine V. It's nowhere near as crude as the most basic ones could get, but then again, it's pretty far from the best of Lepine V (chronometers with the pivoted detent escapement - that sort of thing).

Frankly, I'd be far more concerned about the condition of this movement, than I would care about how collectible it is.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Not really concerned about collectibility, but I do have some appealing pocket watches (bought so my wife can make me wear a - gaah! - vest).
Thought it'd be fun to resurrect this timepiece for similar purpose, if the movement is salvageable - and refurbishing's not toooo expensive.
(Am reminded of a beat-up 60s vintage Breitling chrono I bought for 50 bucks, brought back to stunning appearance for $250.)
So in a way I AM curious about collectible value because, since the timepiece & I enjoy no emotional connection, I must glimpse a balance sheet.
Incidentally, I have examined the name every which way, and much as I wanted it to be "BAUTTE", it still looks like "BAULLE"!
Which in its own way is kinda cool, since I love nothing so much as a mystery...

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Still uncertain about ersatz "T" (looks to me like a minor scratch) because why would the company miss that among such fine engraving?
Nevertheless, I really appreciate your assessments on vintage & relative quality. I nudged a gear wheel and everything moves freely.
Crystal is intact; major restorative task is likely to be reattaching/replacing hinge to front cover, then a thorough cleaning & lubrication.
I'll show it to a watch repair person. Downside is that my wife may be so pleased she'll buy me yet another (gahh!) vest to go with it...

·
Premium Member
6,666 Posts
Still uncertain about ersatz "T" (looks to me like a minor scratch) because why would the company miss that among such fine engraving?
Hmmm ... you're still uncertain. Consider this.

Bautte = famous Geneva-based maker of pocket watches from the era of this watch
Baulle = no known watches with this name

·
Registered
422 Posts
Let's make it more "suspicious". New player in the game, Boutte
" Schweizer Uhrenfirma gegründet 1895

Qualite Boutte, (Invicta SA/Seeland Inc./ (Les Fils de) Raphael Picard/ Eno Watch Co. in La Chaux de Fonds, Le Locle und Biel, Schweiz "
ref185-07.jpg

·
Premium Member
6,666 Posts
Let's make it more "suspicious". New player in the game, Boutte
" Schweizer Uhrenfirma gegründet 1895

Qualite Boutte, (Invicta SA/Seeland Inc./ (Les Fils de) Raphael Picard/ Eno Watch Co. in La Chaux de Fonds, Le Locle und Biel, Schweiz "
The OP's watch does clearly say "GENEVA".

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
Bautte were outstanding makers of quality pieces for which this watch just doesn't compare, although the brand lost momentum after the founder's son sold in 1855. Here is an example from Antiquorum of their "simple" ladies pendant watch circa 1850, #73552.

Bautte.jpg

From the same era, #72428 below features a detent chronometer escapement and montre a tact time indication on the back cover - simply outstanding!

Screen Shot 2018-03-04 at 6.58.17 PM.jpg

I have an interest in Bautte as it was he who trained Francois Constantin in the business of watchmaking before he joined with Vacheron in 1819 to create their watchmaking dynasty.
While Constantin, as their salesman, travelled throughout Europe, he was particularly focused on Italy. And it would seem his old master Bautte, who introduced him to the Italian market, wasn’t too pleased, as revealed in this letter from Constantin to Vacheron at Turin in February of 1821:

“…Bautte coming through here, was somewhat discomforted to see the amount of business that we do and to hear from every watchmaker that more is purchased from us than from anybody else. I know that he intends to do everything possible to get a slice of the cake…It is not on me that you should count, but on yourselves. It is the goods that speak, the traveller (salesman) has almost to be silent”

What a difference compared with today's preference for hype over substance!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts