WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Knowing my interest in watches, a friend brought one of his watches to show me a couple of weeks ago. It apparently belonged to his grandfather, and my friend believes it may date from the 1920s or 1930s.

I didn't take any measurements, but would guess the diameter is around 35mm. It's quite a heavy watch for its size and as you can see, has a very narrow strap width. There are no words or numbers on the face and the case back is completely plain and smooth.

I know this is a long shot, but do any of you have any ideas about the watch manufacturer please, or any suggestions as to who I can ask next? Thanks.

Before you ask, we haven't reached the stage of trying to remove the back yet to see the movement. That will be a last resort.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,024 Posts
Well I'm afraid to tell you...You're gonna have to remove the back. It's impossible to tell you anything just from the photos you've provided.

Just from the general style, I suspect 1920s more than 30s though. That looks like a pocketwatch-style dial so it's PROBABLY a repurposed pocketwatch movement and dial seated in a wristwatch case. Such things were common during the 1910s and 1920s, when wristatches for men started coming into fashion during and after WWI.

But other than that, I can't tell you anything.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That's interesting, many thanks for replying. We did wonder if it had pocket watch connections, but for the wrong reason. It seemed as if those small strap lugs could have been added afterwards to a very small pocket watch case (to turn it into a wrist watch) but thinking about it now I guess a pocket watch wouldn't have the winder at the three o'clock position.

Although I've done so many times with modern watches, I'd be worried about scratching the case when trying to remove the back of this one so perhaps I'll suggest that my friend takes it to a watchmaker to remove the back and have a look inside.

Thanks again for your comments.

·
Registered
7,743 Posts
Just check whether the back screws off. If so, easy to remove without risking any damage.

·
Registered
5,315 Posts
A pocketwatch <would> have the winder at 3:00 ... if it was a hunter type (with a metal "cover" over the front glass). This case doesn't look like it ever had that, so more likely it was recased. That happens a lot with old hunter movements when (for various reasons) the original case wears out or is sold for its gold value. There was a pretty big market for conversion cases back in the 20's (not unlike the trend to convert wristwatchs to quartz back in the 70s/80s).

·
Zenith Forum Co-moderator
19,158 Posts
Looks more like a snap-on back. You should see a small notch between the back and the rest of the case around 9:00.

Hartmut Richter

·
Registered
3,383 Posts
I think Marrick will be proved correct on this one, this type of three piece
case with the knurled screw on bezel usualy has a screw on back. I have one
very similar to this which does and it contains a small 30mm Tavanes pkt watch movement.

·
Registered
2,024 Posts
If it's a threaded caseback, then it should be pretty easy to remove, with a bit of persistence and care.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for all your interesting comments and information. I'll pass this onto my friend and if he decides to carefully remove the back to have a look inside I'll be sure to take a photo and post on here! Many thanks.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts