WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 20 of 179 Posts

·
Registered
467 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just like the title states, let's hear about watches you don't care for, but still respect. As an example, if someone else had the watch, you'd give them the nod, give the watch a pass, but it's not for you.

I love Grand Seiko, love what they offer but I absolutely can't go for their chronographs (SBGC001 pictured). I still respect them, as a Spring Drive column wheel chronograph with GMT is pretty cool in my book, but they aren't lookers with those pushers. Also, the dial seems amiss, like when they were designing it the motto was "As long as it fits on the dial, anywhere is fine!". Just can't warm up to them personally.
Watch Hand Analog watch Arm Product

·
Registered
45,511 Posts
Omega Speedmaster (Shock horror my god man it’s a forum favourite) love the look of it on other people, but on my wrist it left me cold.

·
Premium Member
4,627 Posts
Anything from brands like MB&F. It takes a lot of technical expertise and artistry, but nowhere near appealing to wear.

Watch Analog watch Silver Clock Font

·
Registered
623 Posts
I'm not a huge fan of the Rolex/Speedmaster/GS trifecta that gets published all over reddit. They are all very nice watches, but it's a combo that seems played to me. Also, Rolex is so highly counterfeited, I really see the brand as ruined in my eyes. For example, my 19 year old cell phone sales associate was wearing a Hulk, I went to dinner with a guy wearing a fake Sub a few months ago and an ex business associate who is perpetually broke returned from Asia wearing a suspiciously off colored Rose Gold Yachtmaster he claims he bought off the shelf from an AD in Texas. With all that said, my next watch will probably be a Rolex Thunderbird or two tone DJ from the 70s because I have a nostalgic association with that unpopular model.

·
Registered
467 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'm not a huge fan of the Rolex/Speedmaster/GS trifecta that gets published all over reddit. They are all very nice watches, but it's a combo that seems played to me. Also, Rolex is so highly counterfeited, I really see the brand as ruined in my eyes. For example, my 19 year old cell phone sales associate was wearing a Hulk, I went to dinner with a guy wearing a fake Sub a few months ago and an ex business associate who is perpetually broke returned from Asia wearing a suspiciously off colored Rose Gold Yachtmaster he claims he bought off the shelf from an AD in Texas. With all that said, my next watch will probably be a Rolex Thunderbird or two tone DJ from the 70s because I have a nostalgic association with that unpopular model.
Heh, I've noticed that pattern browsing r/Watches as well. It'll be a Sub, Speedmaster, and a GS Spring or Snowflake. A Thunderbird gets the nod from me, though. Don't see those in the hype collections at all.

·
Registered
623 Posts
Heh, I've noticed that pattern browsing r/Watches as well. It'll be a Sub, Speedmaster, and a GS Spring or Snowflake. A Thunderbird gets the nod from me, though. Don't see those in the hype collections at all.
@Russ1965 has a Thunderbird that just blows me away. I've got two slots left in the box and I'm probably out of the hobby for a while, but it will likely be one of them.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Just like the title states, let's hear about watches you don't care for, but still respect. As an example, if someone else had the watch, you'd give them the nod, give the watch a pass, but it's not for you.

I love Grand Seiko, love what they offer but I absolutely can't go for their chronographs (SBGC001 pictured). I still respect them, as a Spring Drive column wheel chronograph with GMT is pretty cool in my book, but they aren't lookers with those pushers. Also, the dial seems amiss, like when they were designing it the motto was "As long as it fits on the dial, anywhere is fine!". Just can't warm up to them personally.
View attachment 16809297
Rolex

·
Registered
623 Posts
Breitling Emergency. They're huge, ridiculously expensive and for the most part not even necessary. When I held a valid pilots license every plane I ever flew had an ELT. I never saw the need to strap one to my wrist.
I came very close to buying one of these when I first got into this. Thank God I never did. Even then I suspected it might not wear well, lol.

·
Registered
2,263 Posts
Blancpain FF in either guise. As a diver watch fan, impossible not to respect the hell out of that watch and what it represents. I've been tempted to pull the trigger on several occasions but couldn't, and in my most recent attempt I walked out with a GO SeaQ Panorama Date instead.

The FF just wore too big and was too blingy and eye catching. And I can't get into the Bathy's design. Small nipple indices leaving way too much empty dial space and the hands look odd to me as well. Weird because the original 1956 design is the best designed diver I've ever seen, wish that look was brought back as regular production. Well for now I have one of the better "homages" to it in the Seiko SLA043.

·
Registered
58 Posts
When the Emergency was first released they would only sell them to licensed pilots. I was at an AD shortly after they came out and noticed one in the display case. I asked the salesman if I could see it and he hesitated and was clearly searching for the right way to tell me no. I quickly fished my pilots license out of my wallet and placed it on the counter. Immediately his tone changed and he pulled the watch out of the display case.

·
Registered
274 Posts
I will second Sinn, and add in Doxa. I will also agree with Grand Seiko, I respect the tech just doesn’t equate with my idea of mechanical. If there is a circuit board it just ain’t purely mechanical, I would buy one of their HAQ though.

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
Omega Speedmaster (Shock horror my god man it’s a forum favourite) love the look of it on other people, but on my wrist it left me cold.
Me too. I thought I was the only one. Something about the case and crystal proportions and look just doesn't meld on my wrist.
Analogy is like admiring a Norman Rockwell painting but then trying to tie it around my wrist. Just doesn't work.

1 - 20 of 179 Posts