WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
81 - 100 of 179 Posts

·
Registered
297 Posts
More specifically, the Longines Zulu Time in all it's forms, but particularly the green Fauxsimile version - amazing specs, checks all the boxes, great price, almost available, I'd love a true GMT, but, no...
They’d suck me in with a no date, white dial version of the Zulu Time that sports a black bezel and an orange or red tipped GMT hand.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Pretty much anything by Seiko. I know it’s a broad brush to sweep, but their design language just doesn’t bond with me. I’ve owned a fair few (Tuna, SKX, Flightmaster and countless others) but in general I’ve been left cold.

but I have to respect them.

·
Registered
1,782 Posts
The MT5612 movement intrigues me, I appreciate their adjustable clasps, but everything else about them is uninspiring, and the snowflake hand is a deal-breaker.

There's a reason they're readily available at ADs.
I feel the same way about that snowflake hour hand.

Otherwise though, I reckon Tudor watches are excellent value.

·
Registered
3,089 Posts
Invicta.

Because anybody that can take an old brand name, design a bunch of oversized gaudy CRAP and sell $100+ million worth of the CRAP deserves some respect.

Reactions: SigDigit

·
Registered
5,820 Posts
Just like the title states, let's hear about watches you don't care for, but still respect. As an example, if someone else had the watch, you'd give them the nod, give the watch a pass, but it's not for you.

I love Grand Seiko, love what they offer but I absolutely can't go for their chronographs (SBGC001 pictured). I still respect them, as a Spring Drive column wheel chronograph with GMT is pretty cool in my book, but they aren't lookers with those pushers. Also, the dial seems amiss, like when they were designing it the motto was "As long as it fits on the dial, anywhere is fine!". Just can't warm up to them personally.
View attachment 16809297
I actually like that and saw it on the wrist of a fellow WIS at a gathering a few years ago. Its stunning in person.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Smart watches. I get their appeal, but, for me, they are simply too large; technologically redundant (to other mobile, handheld devices); aesthetically "meh;" energetically consumptive; feeble; and with an intrinsic, "buy the latest-greatest model" obsolescence.

Newer "luxury" watches. Design and engineering language has drifted towards the overbuilt; solidity, heft, and outsized wrist presence have replaced comfortable, everyday wearability. (This is also in part due to "luxury" watches becoming a legacy technology with decreased total annual production; increased per unit price; and that shifted toward connoisseurship consumption.)

·
Registered
467 Posts
Discussion Starter · #92 ·
I actually like that and saw it on the wrist of a fellow WIS at a gathering a few years ago. Its stunning in person.
I'd have to check it out in person for sure. I just struggle with the pusher and dial design over Swiss chronograph offerings. Love plenty of other GS models though. :)

·
Registered
699 Posts
Anything old-timey for me. Cathedral hands, roman numerals, cursive script numbers, especially in a white dial/gold case combo. I can respect that these are on some amazing watches, but not my boat at all. Though I used to dislike divers, stainless steel, and bracelets -- those are among my favorites now -- so tastes can change.

·
Registered
613 Posts
1: Any modern Rolex

2: IWC Big Pilot

3: Grand Seiko

4: Doxa
Does the modern Rolex Sub look much different than a vintage? To me, they are like Porsche. Same stale style, but with some tweaks over the decades. I felt the same way about Corvettes, until they upped their game and came out with the new Stingray, after decades of stagnating design.

Reactions: JSnipes
81 - 100 of 179 Posts