WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
101 - 120 of 179 Posts

·
Registered
839 Posts
Submariner - I respect it because it is well designed and good quality watch, has the best mass produced automatic movement inside, but I don’t want to own one, mainly because i found it boring, widely copied, overhyped and overpriced (even at MSRP).
That’s kind of where I am, and why Rolexes in general, but Subs in particular, are my pick for this. They’re just so cliché, and I tend to run the other way. It’s the same reason I don’t really watch blockbuster movies or follow fashion trends. But at the same time, I can’t say that without acknowledging that they are superb examples of mechanics as well as build quality.

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
PP Nautilus for me. I respect it and recognize that a PP movement is probably as amazing and refined as it comes. But, the Nautilus just looks like a half-as*ed, art-deco-ish 70's design to me.

I respect its quality and place in the Big Three so much that were someone to gift me one, I would not turn it down, nor flip it. I'd probably keep it just to say I had one in my collection, because, damn, it's a Patek. But even endowed with limitless funds, I wouldn't buy one myself. It does nothing for me.

·
Registered
866 Posts
Grand Seiko: Fabulous case finishing and dials. The designs and bracelets, however, are as appealing to me as toyota family cars.

IWC: I like the looks of IWC pilots (esp. big pilots), portofinos and portugiesers, have expressed my desires to buy any of em many times on the forum, but more I see them, for some indescribable reason, I am having difficulty justifying my wallet to buy one, esp. a new one AT MSRP...

Breitling: Except for NAvitimers and SOH, the designs just not my cup of tea...quality i think is quite good, if not stunning, for what you pay for, esp. used or significantly under MSRP. Same for Sinn, Blancpain, chopard, Doxa, zodiacs and Zenith.

Actually, my comments for IWC also applies to Panerais and speedmasters as well, though I may consider speedy for a chronograph, as i feel like chronograph market is limited, esp. taking 7750 ETA out of the equation...

Rolex: I love Rolex's quality, esp. the details like the bracelet, chromalight, laser etched crystal and the rehaut. However, I started to question if the likes of steel submariners and GMT's are really worth more than 10k in MSRP and I think I am going to "lose it", if i see that a steel dome-bezel datejust reaches the 10k mark. Granted price adjust, per inflation is reasonable, but I think rolex milks this regards a bit too much. Furthermore, the ADs, even the ones I have relationships with, are turning me off now. granted, If my AD does give me a call for a steel GMT or a Polar, I will not deny it. However, I think I can say I am starting to move away form them and start moving away form them.

Ming: I think I found that "hidden date wheel" and tesla-like "deposit service" to be a bit too much...Also, not sure if I follow the design.

Just realized I have lots of watch brands I respect, but am not willing to spend my money on. I guess I am screwed...

·
Registered
429 Posts
I'm a Rolex fan boy except for the Daytona. Give me the Speedmaster any day and for far less money. I know I know. The Daytona is a legend but not for me. I'd pay twenty five or thirty grand if I had it for the Snoopy or Ed White but not the Daytona. Seventeen and a half million for Paul Newman's beat up Cosmograph? Paul must laughing his ass off somewhere out there.

·
Registered
Hamilton Intra-Matic Auto Chronograph - Blue Dial
252 Posts
Anything Sinn or Damasko. Why are all your offerings so damn boring and ugly looking. Hands are too small, too short. Indices are way too damn big. Where is the refinement in all of your offerings. Looks so damn rough looking. Tool watches can look "rugged" but also refined looking.

Having said that, I think the refinement in the movement at the back is good - both Sinn and Damasko. Finishing and bracelet looks good too. I respect the specs of the offerings but why can't you have better dial work or use other hands. The Sinn hands are always too damn small and short and Damasko looks all the same to me. Just my opinion and I know maybe some people like this look, but I respect what they are doing, but I cannot justify spending any money on that hands/indices on the dial. :(

·
Premium Member
1,603 Posts
Grand Seiko, in general. If I had an unlimited budget, I’d have a huge watch winder with a bunch of GS just so I can admire their dress watch dial colors, textures, and the spring drive movements in action. To me…they’re works of art.

That being said, I tend to favor dive watches and theirs run larger than I prefer, I don’t like the look of their second hand (they too closely resemble base Seiko dive watch second hands, which I’m not a fan of), and I can’t say that I’ve ever read a positive thing about the bracelet clasps, adjustability wise.

101 - 120 of 179 Posts