WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
643 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've read a mention of NASA-approved watches in one of the threads here.
Does anybody happen to konw the URL where the list of NASA-approved watches can be found?

Thanks,
Michael

·
Registered
643 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
For my knowledge there's no any actual list, than the above mentioned.
The web site I've made include a research made in the books, web, and other source, specially viewing the picture about the Casio's.
So collecting all this info you can assume that there's more watches approved for use inside the orbiter, they are NOT certified, in some way, by NASA or other governement dept., but only a personal choice of the astronuats and cosmonauts.
The only approved by NASA are the DW5600C/E, the X-33, the Timex, The Speedmaster (that is th only one approved for EVA) the Russina RKA e ROSKOSMOS have approved the Fortis for the EVA and for the use inside the orbiter.

But as you can see, many other have "breath" the air of the orbiter or the space!

Thanks

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
What I would find more interesting is what the qualifications are that a watch must meet in order for NASA to qualify it for space travel.
This is an interesting question.
There's a lot of info on the web about this topic and this concerning the most famous watch: The Omega Speedmaster.
I think a search on the best search engine give you a lot on info about it, I'm really not qualified to give this kind of info... :-S just I like to read about it in some of the more interesting book (one for all: The Time Capsule) and have knowledge about it, so i can build a reasonable collection as you can see on my site.

About other watch, they are not, "qualified" by NASA but just use in spece.

Some Casio, Timex Ironman and the X-33 are just approved: it menas that NASA allow the crew to use inside the orbiter.

Sorry for my english I hope you have understand...

Thanks!

·
Registered
643 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
What I would find more interesting is what the qualifications are that a watch must meet in order for NASA to qualify it for space travel.
The first article linked earlier in this thread provides some insight into that (although that article is not overly scientiffic in its nature and does not explain methodology actually used).

Michael

1 - 13 of 13 Posts