WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just curious as to whether you can wear watches with Nate strap in the shower every day? I've never had a nato strap before and about to buy a new watch which has one ..... Does it ruin it!!

·
Registered
609 Posts
I think they look better when they looked worn and distressed. Downside is that you'll have a soggy nato on your wrist after showering.

·
Registered
28,501 Posts
I wouldn't want to get a nato intentionally wet daily. I see it as more of a strap that can get wet than one that should get wet. Unless you like a damp (and potentially smelly) wrist.

·
Premium Member
36,232 Posts
Can be done, but certainly not my preference.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the responses and thoughts .... this is a tough one as I usually wear my watch in the shower but maybe I should start to take it off from here on :hushed:

·
Premium Member
4,062 Posts
Just curious as to whether you can wear watches with Nate strap in the shower every day? I've never had a nato strap before and about to buy a new watch which has one ..... Does it ruin it!!
They're made for diving...

They may fade a little with the salt water but I suspect the sun does more damage to the colour.

·
Registered
Revue Thommen Airspeed Lemania 5100
358 Posts
I'm showering with my watch on a NATO once a day(sometime twice) and it's just fine(I'm changing it once a year...because I get bored :) ). As an added bonus - it smells really nice because of the shower gel I use :D

My body-heat dries it up really fast, so sogginess is not an issue...but maybe if you swim in salt water you should wash it separately after usage under a tap to get rid of the saltness that can provoke skin irritations.

·
Registered
609 Posts
Also want to add that I take all of my watches into the ocean exclusively on natos (Maratac brand) and they all still look great after years of use.

·
Registered
609 Posts
+1 Maratac nato brands are worth the price. I have two of them and love the finish on the band and they are very realiable.
Agreed. I also wear Phoenix natos, but I only trust Maratacs in the ocean as they seem to be more durable (especially the hardware).

·
Premium Member
2,645 Posts
I can see not leaving it (and I assume here we're talking about "it" being nylon and ballistic nylon NATOs) in a locker at the pool strapped to a dear possession and instead wearing to swim and shower before/after, and for that matter diving with it. The downside? Soap scum will build up and you'll have to clean it from time to time. The upside? They're very easy to clean and cost very little to replace -- unless you're talking about the OEMs from Omega or Blancpain, that is ;-)

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
I throw my NATOs into the wash in a baggie to clean them, occasionally. None have been ruined by water.

The issue, as others have pointed out, it the unpleasantness of wearing a damp strap, which gets icky and smelly. You could get a spare NATO. Wipe your watch off and switch straps after your shower. Let the other one dry, repeat. That's the beauty of NATOs and Zulus. Easy changeability.

·
Registered
4,085 Posts
it is fine (imho) my SKX009 goes with me to the pool 4x times a week... on a NATO. I've been doing this for months and haven't seen any issues... (except on a gray strap that got some sort of bleached looking marks on the back somehow... but 4x ~ other straps have shown no issues from it... not sure what happened to the gray one... I may have got something on it???

the NATO's dry pretty quick around here... within a half hour or so can't really tell it was in the water...YMMV

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Awesome ... love to hear these straps get put through the wringer so to speak and come out unscathed!!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts