WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I get the NATO craze... I understand the beauty of inexpensive straps that can be changed upon a whim... and I love how they can take a dressier watch and make it feel much more casual. I've tried a few different NATO straps - both fabric and leather - and my experience is:

- There is just too much fabric for smaller wrists (under 7")
- Small watches get overwhelmed by the fabric - especially leather. With all the rings and tucking of extra strap I think that only larger watches look good.

Again - these are my impressions and YMMV. I guess I'll have to stay with two-piece straps.

·
Registered
5,400 Posts
If you find the nylon straps too long they can be cut down without much effort:

I do agree that NATOs look better on larger watches, but I'm a NATO freak and I'll throw one on anything from 35-48mm :)

·
Premium Member
71,325 Posts
If you find the excess material a bit much you can always shorten the strap. Can't comment on the size of watches that suit a Nato best as I've only ever put Natos on larger watches.

·
Registered
865 Posts
Within reason I find that with nato straps, the strap itself is half the statement. So I don't mind the extra "bulk/bling" of the extra strap material and rings. The watch case itself becomes just part of the apparatus.

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
Within reason I find that with nato straps, the strap itself is half the statement. So I don't mind the extra "bulk/bling" of the extra strap material and rings. The watch case itself becomes just part of the apparatus.
Agree. I have a thick leather Zulu which is by no means a shrinking violet. Love it.

DSC02051.jpg

·
Registered
10,144 Posts
I find that a nato looks better on my other wrist on it's own, next to a fitbit. The watch stays on a leather strap - far more comfortable and complements the dial better.

·
Registered
2,631 Posts
My problem with NATOs is simple: they look great on other peoples wrists.

They look lousy on mine. I have a dresser drawer full of them. They tend to stay there.
I'm with you on that one. My wrists are a hair under 7" but bony and flat and I just don't like the way NATOs sit on my wrist and where the buckle lays. So in the end, either I chop them shorter, go for the single-piece RAF style ones instead, or find a Perlon on nylon single-piece strap.

This is by no means a criticism of them -- I think they look great on many people's wrists and complement watches nicely, I guess they just don't do it for me!

·
Registered
5,219 Posts
I get the NATO craze... I understand the beauty of inexpensive straps that can be changed upon a whim... and I love how they can take a dressier watch and make it feel much more casual. I've tried a few different NATO straps - both fabric and leather - and my experience is:
- There is just too much fabric for smaller wrists (under 7")
- Small watches get overwhelmed by the fabric - especially leather. With all the rings and tucking of extra strap I think that only larger watches look good.
Again - these are my impressions and YMMV. I guess I'll have to stay with two-piece straps.
You can solve the problem and save a few dollars here:
Original NATO Straps – Cheapest NATO Straps

007_11d.jpg

1 - 13 of 13 Posts