WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 87 Posts

·
Registered
2,179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok. I have a few NATOs on a few stealthy black mil spec watches (traser, luminox) plus some others that suit a NATO due to their military leanings (U-Boat homage, etc.).

I see the various NATOs on here, such as the simply beautiful light blue and orange 'Gulf' NATO seen recently, which led me to instantly go to the appropriate website and pull the trigger on one myself. It arrived and it is gorgeous!

The problem is that, no matter how hard I try, I just can't settle on a NATO if it isn't on a black mil-spec watch. Even though I think they look great in pictures. I WANT to like them on civilian-spec watches, but I've always struggled!

I had the Gulf NATO on my mako for a day or two, but have just tonight switched it back to its bracelet. I now feel at peace again.

My verdict, after many years of watch fanaticism, is:

NATOs only really work well if they are black, and on a predominantly or totally black military watch. Anything else is just unholy and doesn't work in reality, even though they often look great in pictures.

Tell me if I'm right or wrong people!

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
4,243 Posts
My verdict, after many years of watch fanaticism, is:

NATOs only really work well if they are black, and on a predominantly or totally black military watch. Anything else is just unholy and doesn't work in reality, even though they often look great in pictures.

Tell me if I'm right or wrong people!

20140427_115600 007 rally resized.jpg

...you're wrong.
but if this is a ploy to get people to post watches on nato straps, a genius move, well done! :-! i love pictures

·
Registered
10,151 Posts
I think that, frankly, anything goes. Nobody else cares about watches, so as long as it's not a trashbag or obvious faux-leather (or plastic. Plastic is unholy) material (note - good looking faux leather is perfectly fine, imo), just put it on and call it a day.

Here's something that's not military, nor black:
IMG_0046.JPG

·
Registered
691 Posts

Pelagos on NATO. Looks and feels great, IMHO.

·
Registered
2,179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I think that, frankly, anything goes. Nobody else cares about watches, so as long as it's not a trashbag or obvious faux-leather (or plastic. Plastic is unholy) material (note - good looking faux leather is perfectly fine, imo), just put it on and call it a day.

Here's something that's not military, nor black:
View attachment 1473032
But, as I said, the fact that they look great in pictures (and that DOES), does it work in real life, on the wrist? For me, I dabble in NATOs, and then after a couple of days I stick the bracelet back on and... aaah.... relax again, the universe is in harmony again.

The only NATOs that have stood the test of time in my collection are the black ones on the black military watches. That is definitely 'right'.

·
Registered
10,151 Posts
But, as I said, the fact that they look great in pictures (and that DOES), does it work in real life, on the wrist? For me, I dabble in NATOs, and then after a couple of days I stick the bracelet back on and... aaah.... relax again, the universe is in harmony again.

The only NATOs that have stood the test of time in my collection are the black ones on the black military watches. That is definitely 'right'.

I'd say it does, but mainly because I don't really have black clothing (it's all usually shades of brown/blue/green/some gray/whites) - a watch on a black nato would be the one sticking out!
And that's a bit of a salient point, imo - a canvas/cynil/fabric nato is like clothing, meaning you have to match it to your outfit. If you wear a lot of black-tone (or black-complementary) colours, then a black nato will look better, sure.

For disclosure purposes: I don't really wear fabric natos or fabric straps, because I don't think they work.. That leather nato is an exception because, well, it's leather. An entirely different feel on the wrist, and a diff. look (that I can match with shoes pretty well). And I agree with your point - natos often seem to look better in posed pictures, and not so good when worn.

·
Registered
2,832 Posts
I tend to feel the same way, I have 2 beaters and they are on NATOs - for me a beater is unacceptable on anything else despite my love for leather straps. One of the beaters is all black and the NATO fits perfectly, I love the comfort, etc, but I don't think NATOs work on everything. And my NATOs are black or black/gray so yeah you are not alone.

·
Registered
2,832 Posts
That leather nato is an exception because, well, it's leather. An entirely different feel on the wrist, and a diff. look (that I can match with shoes pretty well).
I agree 100% that leather NATOs are a different animal, to be honest I don't even think of them when talking about NATOs, they are just part of my leather strap collection. As far as fabric NATOs go very few work with my watches.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Truth to be told, the more you wear natos, the more you smile when you get a bracelet or a rubber on your wrist and vice versa. Variety is the spice of life. :)

Colourful natos make the summer, every diver owner should give them a shot. :)

·
Registered
2,179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I have to say that I love them on certain watches. Here are two of my favorite on two that I own. Far more comfortable than the stock bracelets.

Ok, those two look nice... :) i would most likely have them on bracelets, but they do look good on those NATOs :)

·
Registered
75 Posts
I don't really have a great deal of choice TBH, my wrist is 8½" around, so I need 8¾" of strap to avoid it feeling tight.
NATOs are the cheapest way I've found to get a long strap that I like.

I've always liked a nice watch, but only became more interested in the last year or two, and really only discovered NATOs/ZULUs about a yr ago - before that I either had to use one of those godawful velcro things, or I had a couple of decent quality oversized leather straps which I'd had for years, and shifted from watch to watch. NATOs are a godsend to me.

Most of the ones I own are black (most of my watches have black dials), apart from a navy-blue one that goes with a dk. blue faced watch, and a sand/beige that is on a watch which originally had a light tan leather strap.
I've never fancied a striped one, though I might if the colours matched a watch I had.

I do like the look of some of the leather NATOs I've seen on WUS, and will probably be investing in a couple quite soon...

·
Registered
1,815 Posts
I very much disagree Sir!

:-d

1 - 20 of 87 Posts