WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi all,

i have a navi world with a tang type buckle.

Just Wanted a deployant clasp but my AD said that the entire strap is different .

recently i saw someone with a datora and he had the clasp.

by visual examination , it seems that my existing strap will fit in , and except for the shape of the hidden end and absence of holes the rear ends of the straps look identical.

I really do not want to spend on a new strap as my current one is in great shape.

Can anyone guide me on this.

Thanks in advance,
Vineet

·
Breitling Forum Moderator
8,832 Posts
Hello,

Oh the problem here is the mix and match of sizes and lengths that one might try to marry up to form a whole assembly. The taper of the deployant leather strap has to be sufficient to pass through the choke of the clasp. If it does it may not go far enough to successfully size the assembly to your wrist. I could go on but I think you get my drift.
Bring your strap to the jeweler and see if it can be married up. If not, save a bit for a few weeks and I'm sure you will be able to get what you want before too long.

·
Registered
3,031 Posts
hi all,

i have a navi world with a tang type buckle.

Just Wanted a deployant clasp but my AD said that the entire strap is different .

recently i saw someone with a datora and he had the clasp.

by visual examination , it seems that my existing strap will fit in , and except for the shape of the hidden end and absence of holes the rear ends of the straps look identical.

I really do not want to spend on a new strap as my current one is in great shape.

Can anyone guide me on this.

Thanks in advance,
Vineet
Were you looking at an aftermarket deployant?
You can pick up an aftermarket deployant that replaces the tang & buckle on your current strap. Very easy to install and they use the same holes ase the original buckle.
Companies like Banda.com offer them at a very reasonable price.

Saves on the expense of a new strap with a deployant Breitling clasp and extends the life of the strap.

·
Pil-Mil, Breitling Forum Moderator
12,067 Posts
Bring your strap to the jeweler and see if it can be married up. If not, save a bit for a few weeks and I'm sure you will be able to get what you want before too long.
Hi, Snap. Gotta disagree with the first sentence above but agree with the last. First, from an appearance aspect, a tang/buckle styled strap will simply look wrong. The pointed (vice the squared) tip of the south strap and the punched holes look cobbled together when used with a deployant clasp IMHO. More importantly, the ergonomics are incorrect because of the length differences. Regular length tang/buckle straps are 120/80MM and deployant buckle straps are 110/90MM lenths. The difference is necessary for correct positioning on the wrist of the two different designs. If Vineet doesn't mind the clasp riding a few millimeters closer to the side of his wrist than what is ergonomically correct and doesn't mind the incongruous appearance of the configuration, that is his decision of course, but I'm with you, save enough to purchase what is correct and comfortable for the watch. The Navi World is a great piece and deserves the correct accessories IMHO. :think: ;-) :-!
Cheers,
Ron

·
Breitling Forum Moderator
8,832 Posts
Hi Ron,
I agree with every thing you said. I knew the end result would be sub par but I couldn't exactly put my finger on just what all of the problem/s would be when one got down to tin tacks. I think ejc makes a good suggestion. It will keep the dollars down and end up looking OK because the after market clasps allow for the tang straps. I like to go for the OEM solution. At the end of the day its vineet's decision.

·
Registered
3,031 Posts
Hi Ron,
I agree with every thing you said. I knew the end result would be sub par but I couldn't exactly put my finger on just what all of the problem/s would be when one got down to tin tacks. I think ejc makes a good suggestion. It will keep the dollars down and end up looking OK because the after market clasps allow for the tang straps. I like to go for the OEM solution. At the end of the day its vineet's decision.
1- You can go with an aftermarket deployant for $15-$150 depending on SS or gold
2- No damage is done to the strap, so should you wish to sell it all you have to do is put the original buckle back on.
3-Going OEM could cost anywhere from $600-$2000 depending on SS or gold.
4- I would go after market, that's what I did with my Gold Cosmo on the Croco strap. When that wears out I can decide if i want to switch to an OEM Deployant. The gold clasp set me back something like $100 and looks great, I have the original gold buckle and can put it back on any time.
A GOLD Breitling clasp would have set me back $1300 after discount and a neww Croco strap would have been around $400-$500. My decision was real easy.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanks everyone for the advice , was a pleaseue,

anyway , i dont think i want to get a non OEM clasp.

Meanwhile regarding the debate between ron and snapit, i have a really small wrist , and if the strap fits , all the holes will disappear on the inside of the clasp.However , the wach might fit a little lop sided on my wrist , which is a reservation i have.

Anyway , thanks for all the advice again and will keep everyone posted on my final decision.

cheers,
vineet

1 - 7 of 7 Posts