WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey everyone,

been a proud owner of a navitimer since the past 2 months, however i have 5 watches(3 breitlings):) and 1 wrist.

is it ok to manually wind navitimers regularly in case they are not worn?or preferable to set the time everytime it stops and let the rotor wind the watch up when worn

·
Registered
300 Posts
Absolutely fine, no problem at all..>>

I would give it a full wind before starting to wear it. The movement of your arm will be more than sufficient to keep it wound during the day.

Cheers,

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks for the reply,

i however meant that , if i am not wearing it , say , for 2 weeks, is it ok to keep winding it up regularly during the period or let the watch wind down and stop , and then reset everytime before wearing?

regards,

·
Registered
2,201 Posts
I would let it run down if it will only be for 2 weeks. If it would be for substantial longer periods, maybe winding it once every month would be a good idea?

And if it doesn't have a quick-set date, keeping it on a winder makes it a bit easier.

Kind regards,

Cinq

·
Breitling Forum Moderator
9,111 Posts
Gentlemen,

There is no problem letting a simple movement wind down and a few weeks later give it ~30 winds, set the time and pop it on your wrist. If you have a watch with complications like date, perpetual calander, or moon phase then many would favour keeping the watch on an autowinder. This way the watch may gain or loose a few minutes but will be ready to wear with a quick adjustment of the time.

If you wanted to keep your watch going, most Breitling movements have a power reserve of about 40-42 hours from fully wound so would require attention every two days. It may increase wear on the stem but this is acceptable and would be serviced during regular maintance. The maintance interval for mechanicals is 4-6 years given normal wear and tear.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
my watch is a navitimer world , so date is quick set , however , a duty free shop assistant at the frankfurt airport( not totally dependable) told me winding the watch wears out some gears and also wears out the waterproofing gaskets.

however , my ad says its fine , in a dilemma still, experts your opinion

·
Breitling Forum Moderator
9,111 Posts
Good. As to the waterproofing, the Nav World would not be regarded as a watch to swim or shower with. The splash of water from hand washing or rain shouldn't trouble it. The stem has a dual gasket so should very reliable if serviced as mentioned above.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts