WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 265 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I almost bought a watch this morning, before realising I was thinking about how I would sell it on if I didn't like it - a clear sign I didn't really want it.

It ticks all of the boxes of something I have been looking for:
  • Very reasonably priced, some places have it for sub £300
  • Sapphire crystal
  • Sub 40mm
  • On a decent bracelet
  • Don't have to ship it from another country
  • 100m water resistance

Enter the Orient Star Contemporary Mechanical - RE-AU0005L

It ticks all of the boxes of what I am looking for, so why didn't I buy it?

What is with that power reserve? Why does it get thicker the more it's wound? It gives it this weird gauge look which throws off the symmetry of the piece awfully.

I couldn't bring myself to get it, I knew that would bother me. So frustrating as everything else is perfect!

So hence my idea for this thread, what are some watches which for you are near perfect, but are completely ruined by a single design decision? (specifically design e.g. bad hands/case, rather than missing functional features)

Looking forward to seeing all the pieces which frustrate you the most!

·
Registered
5,886 Posts
Near-perfect or ruined? You can't really have perfect; what's perfect for you is imperfect for someone else. Take that power reserve meter. Looks completely normal to me. I'm totally relaxed about it. Many PR meters on watch dials do that; it's entirely expected. You personally don't like it, which is fair enough even though to me seems like a trivial matter to get exercised about.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Near-perfect or ruined? You can't really have perfect; what's perfect for you is imperfect for someone else. Take that power reserve meter. Looks completely normal to me. I'm totally relaxed about it. Many PR meters on watch dials do that; it's entirely expected. You personally don't like it, which is fair enough even though to me seems like a trivial matter to get exercised about.
I mean near-perfect/ruined on a personal level, of course! I am sure somebody loves owning the above Orient, all power to them!

·
Premium Member
6,773 Posts
I've discussed this watch before. This Hamilton is a near perfect, black field watch, except for the date window. Not simply that it exists (which it shouldn't), not simply that it's white (if it must it should match the dial), but the fact that they pushed the 15 hour marker out into the middle of the dial in order to squeeze it in.

it looks as if they let bubbles handle placing the date window.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I've discussed this watch before. This Hamilton is a near perfect, black field watch, except for the date window. Not simply that it exists (which it shouldn't), not simply that it's white (if it must it should match the dial), but the fact that they pushed the 15 hour marker out into the middle of the dial in order to squeeze it in.
View attachment 15838660

it looks as if they let bubbles handle placing the date window. View attachment 15838670
That's... horrendous! I see exactly what you mean, pushing the 15 is awful and it also cuts the 3 which I don't like. So confusing.

·
Registered
4,577 Posts
View attachment 15838660

it looks as if they let bubbles handle placing the date window. View attachment 15838670
Yeah...that's awful. The 15 doesn't bother me nearly as much as they way they butchered the 3. If a number has to be affected, it can be done in a more subtle way. Victorinox did an acceptable job adapting on this watch. The 10 is only slightly affected. I also like they way that handled the potential issue at 6, as well as the date placement. A little thought can go a long way!

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I give you one of the best examples of "it would be perfect but..."

... just take a look at that date-window FFS!!
Terrible! Such a shame as well because there is a perfectly available place to put it at 4 o'clock! It also has a great Explorer-esque look, such a shame!

·
Registered
194 Posts
I almost bought a watch this morning, before realising I was thinking about how I would sell it on if I didn't like it - a clear sign I didn't really want it.

It ticks all of the boxes of something I have been looking for:
  • Very reasonably priced, some places have it for sub £300
  • Sapphire crystal
  • Sub 40mm
  • On a decent bracelet
  • Don't have to ship it from another country
  • 100m water resistance

Enter the Orient Star Contemporary Mechanical - RE-AU0005L

View attachment 15838591

It ticks all of the boxes of what I am looking for, so why didn't I buy it?

What is with that power reserve? Why does it get thicker the more it's wound? It gives it this weird gauge look which throws off the symmetry of the piece awfully.

I couldn't bring myself to get it, I knew that would bother me. So frustrating as everything else is perfect!

So hence my idea for this thread, what are some watches which for you are near perfect, but are completely ruined by a single design decision? (specifically design e.g. bad hands/case, rather than missing functional features)

Looking forward to seeing all the pieces which frustrate you the most!
A power reserve is a great feature IMO.....if it's done discretely (best I've seen is one on the underside, visible thru the caseback, on a GS, I believe).

·
Registered
109 Posts
I would not say this is ruined but that power reserve indicator should not be interfering with the subdial imo.

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
I have decided against purchasing a few watches due to the power reserve indicator. It's one of those quirks that goes with the territory for some watches. Would I turn down a bargain-priced Seiko SNR029 because it has one? No.

1 - 20 of 265 Posts