WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
3,185 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After perusing sales ads for years there seems to be recurring statements that are nearly useless when looking at watches online. Here are a few of the big offenders

Rare
Keeps good time
Running
Ticking
Accurate
Recently Serviced
Runs strong
Works great
Vintage

Have you ever seen any other words or phrases that sellers use consistently that are less than helpful or properly descriptive?

·
Registered
75 Posts
I partly agree, esp with some, however I have a counter argument for descriptions like “keeps good time,” “accurate,” and “recently serviced.”

There may be instances sellers may want to hide issues by simply not pointing them out and hope buyers would assume the best of intentions. As a seller, I would rather be verbose and get those nitty gritty things out in the open, esp if there no issues, so the buyer knows up front in the event they’re at least curious.

I think “recently serviced” is especially helpful b/c servicing a watch costs money, and it allows the buyer to be aware that a service could be coming up even if the watch is running well.

·
Registered
864 Posts
I love the "No visible (bezel/crystal) scratches, you will need to use a loupe to see any" - I prefer a "Watch looks clean with no major scratches" and some HR pictures to help the observation ...

·
Registered
Samsung Gear Sport
7,999 Posts
2018-05-15_145337.jpg
Everything goes!
I hate then sellers play dumb and greedy: no description, shaky photos and descriptions like great watch used it ones don't need it any more.
another one saw this "..." for "xxx$" last year on amazon/ebay! Which gives birth to not so gently used good priced well above MSRP or at MSRP.
And for final blow: i don't know anything about watches but it worth ...
Seller in local add wants 900$ and provides only 1 photo. The only way to meet such fellow is at police station for your own safety.

·
Banned
3,438 Posts
I agree with much of the list, but what's wrong with listing something as vintage? If it's used inaccurately it's not helpful, but that could be said of most descriptors. Is your issue that it doesn't have a clear definition?

·
Registered
2,075 Posts
New Old Stock. Ridiculous how many people use the term to describe a good condition vintage watch. Not the same.

Reactions: Brey17

·
Registered
485 Posts
They are not particularly accurate terms, but then a lot of buyers are not necessarily that knowledgeable, so vague terms are usually good enough.

·
Registered
3,185 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
"Recently Serviced" is useless sales verbage? It actually means a lot to me when considering a pre-owned watch.
It's not so much the "serviced" part, its the the "recently" part. Totally subjective and as others have said often not verifiable.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts