WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have this Eterna-Matic Turler and the guy who has it can't determine which movement is it, the movement is very damaged and he tells me that the stem is very damaged at the point he can't remove it to see the movement and which one is it...And it only has visible what appears to be a serila number of the movement? Google hasn't been helpul too...
This is the watch:

WhatsApp Image 2020-11-05 at 11.22.06 AM.jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2020-11-05 at 11.28.09 AM.jpeg

·
Registered
Datejust 116234
489 Posts
***** what happened to it? It gives me goosebumps just looking at haha

·
Registered
Datejust 116234
489 Posts
same question my repair guy asked... sad to see such beautiful movement destroyed by previous owner
previous owner is going to hell :) joking of course, good luck with the repairs, be sure to post some pics when you're done

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
previous owner is going to hell :) joking of course, good luck with the repairs, be sure to post some pics when you're done
Kinda hard if i don't get the exact movement... as spares for a watch that has more than 50 years and being inhouse movement is a bit tricky get a movement on working condition... Might buy an 1421..
My repair guy has another Eterna Matic 3000 which also was salvaged and it has some parts of the original 1500k but movement was out of budget, so i ordered an Titus ETA 2892-2 and he told me that he was going to work it, as it was incomplete with the ETA 2892-2. And he also love old Eterna's but they are a bit rare on eBay and can get ridiculously priced. He also is working other watches from other costumers so he is really busy.

·
Registered
2,116 Posts
tonochito...Hello.

Ouch...looks pretty bad, but: not THAT bad! ( well...it could be worse ).

I think that there's a decent chance that this movement 'may be saved'. Specifically, the release screw for the stem is usually made of really tough steel, and even a fair amount of corrosion may not prevent it from turning enough to release the stem. Try applying oil around the screw / give it some time to soak in / clean-up the screw as best you can / make sure the screwdriver REALLY fits the screw / go to it...with just a bit of luck, the screw will turn, the stem may be removed / the movement examined / HOPE!

Still: from what's showing in your image, there IS some severe damage here that may be more trouble and expense to remedy than you'd want to deal with. Sorry to say it. I've gone through this a few times, and it's depressing to take the movement apart to clean, and see more and more damage...until, you get to the point where you're looking at a parts movement, and not something that will run again, without a Major & Expensive effort.

Even so: give it a try!

Michael.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Kinda hard if i don't get the exact movement... as spares for a watch that has more than 50 years and being inhouse movement is a bit tricky get a movement on working condition... Might buy an 1421..
My repair guy has another Eterna Matic 3000 which also was salvaged and it has some parts of the original 1500k but movement was out of budget, so i ordered an Titus ETA 2892-2 and he told me that he was going to work it, as it was incomplete with the ETA 2892-2. And he also love old Eterna's but they are a bit rare on eBay and can get ridiculously priced. He also is working other watches from other costumers so he is really busy.
tonochito...Hello.

Ouch...looks pretty bad, but: not THAT bad! ( well...it could be worse ).

I think that there's a decent chance that this movement 'may be saved'. Specifically, the release screw for the stem is usually made of really tough steel, and even a fair amount of corrosion may not prevent it from turning enough to release the stem. Try applying oil around the screw / give it some time to soak in / clean-up the screw as best you can / make sure the screwdriver REALLY fits the screw / go to it...with just a bit of luck, the screw will turn, the stem may be removed / the movement examined / HOPE!

Still: from what's showing in your image, there IS some severe damage here that may be more trouble and expense to remedy than you'd want to deal with. Sorry to say it. I've gone through this a few times, and it's depressing to take the movement apart to clean, and see more and more damage...until, you get to the point where you're looking at a parts movement, and not something that will run again, without a Major & Expensive effort.

Even so: give it a try!

Michael.
Well yes the movement is done... Repair guy can't even unscrew the stem due to corrosion, he told me the movement is complete but the gears are so bad that is impossible to repair, may be getting what is broken he can replace it, i told him if it was necessary to use 409 to disolve the stem or the corrosion it has he can do it, i know what you mean that it might be more expensive to make it work than just get a new one but old Eterna's are so rare to find now...i was thinking to just get a 1421 that seems compatible but i wonder what can go wrong with those 2 inches less on this movement...

Also i love or like it's stainless steel, instead the typical brass or gold plated or RGP of watches from 1970. I don't mind spending a few bucks on repair it, here where i live Central America service isn't that expensive as United States or Europe, average service like cleaning, lubricating and basic maintenanceis just $30 - $32 with a watchmaker, and even Citizen authorized dealer here just charged me $32 for the repair of my Promaster NY0040 and damage that needs a serious work like this can go to $100 of course if i get the parts that are needed and not going to authorized dealers. But of couse if i go to the big brands authorized dealers like Omega and so cost go higher, last year i went to Rolex and they told me average service of their watches and Panerai and stuff like that was on $500. I had a particular case that i had a Hamilton Sea Cliff III and i went to the store of the authorize dealers of Swatch and some other brands here, i had to pay $17 for revision and i left a Khaki touch and other Hamilton quartz that the movement was dead from the 1970 era and they were charging me $270 for the maintenance of the Sea Cliff... I was like no with that money i can get a Khaki field used on eBay if i am on the hunting, but i just took it to a local repair shop and they did the service just for $30...

Only bad thing about here is that Seiko had their own repair shop but they sold the business to the Swatch group dealer...

·
Registered
4,339 Posts
I think I have the semi chronometer model of that movement in my movement box. Looks exactly like yours except mine says Adjusted to 2 positions instead of Eterna Matic and has a small fine adjustment screw by the hairspring stud arm.

No caliber listed

Found 3 similar movements to yours. One could be a date movement. Just looked the backs

1411U, 1412U and 1420 Couldn't find a picture of my movement

DON

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I think I have the semi chronometer model of that movement in my movement box. Looks exactly like yours except mine says Adjusted to 2 positions instead of Eterna Matic and has a small fine adjustment screw by the hairspring stud arm.

No caliber listed

Found 3 similar movements to yours. One could be a date movement. Just looked the backs

1411U, 1412U and 1420 Couldn't find a picture of my movement

DON
Do you have yours for sale? According to Ranfft the 1421 seems compatible... Other or the same movement of a donor watch seems impossible or not worthy as i should have to buy a working watch just to take some parts and pay the repair...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts