WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I need to find a new watch, and since I have always been fascinated with watches, and have a habit of over-researching, I've been trying to educate myself and pick up a new watch at the same time. I'm a value guy, so getting a good deal is part of the fun. I'll patiently wait if I have to. I just bought an interesting but cheap Timex Expedition Diver/Chronograph to hold me over - half price ($35) from the guy who said he couldn't fix the Zodiac gaskets and told me to send it in. Now I realize that Zodiac is now a Fossil (irony), time to look at something new maybe.

I have a 1993 Zodiac diver - silver dial/bezel which was $350 back then. Also have a Sears Swiss-T watch my father had. And of course, my Timex prv mentioned Timex holdover.

First watch I saw that I loved was the Seiko Scubamaster Stingray. It's a shame that it's so expensive and rare. But what a nice watch.

Having trouble deciding between Automatic/Kinetic, Quartz and Eco-Drive. Probably prefer mechanical, but you can't switch watches with an automatic unless you have manual wind - right? That's why an Eco-Drive might be cool. I am 5'8" 1/2 standing straight, but weigh 190 or so with medium stocky build. So a watch too massive watch may not work - but it doesn't have to be small.

Am overwhelmed by the variety of watches now, and having trouble settling.

Here are some watches I have considered, and I am open to other ideas.

Citizen Eco-Drive - Nice watch. Don't really like the hands, and no red second hand, which I prefer. But the Eco concept is cool. Looks durable.

Seiko Blue Tuna - Nice, but I'd worry about scratching my kids up with that bezel. No red second hand either.

Seiko skz209 Seiko 5 Sports Superior - I found this intriguing because I camp often. But finally decided that the extra crown protruding out might be a pain to deal with. And the compass doesn't appear to be a floating compass that's easy to deal with. The Atlas seems to be the same watch. Many people seem to question the water resistance capabilities - a requirement for me since I spend a lot of time in the water.

Seiko SMA235P1 Kinetic - nice looking. Only 100m, so how water resistant is it? Also, being kinetic, has to be worn daily to stay set.

Seiko SKA293P2 - another kinetic. Divers 200m. Nice metal bezel, red second hand. Hands are okay - not my favorite, but okay. Nice looking watch.:think:

Seiko SGEB75 Submariner - quartz, but a 'less is more' watch. Has red second hand. Simply says 100m (no water resistant crap). Quartz. But handsome. Might have bought it on looks alone, but they bid it up too high on ebay though. I wouldn't pay a lot for a 100m quartz watch.:-S

Citizen Promaster NY0054-04EB - Beautiful. Meets all requirements. I like the dial, good luminescence, red second hand, nice metal bezel.:-! But I am not sure about the quality. It is an automatic, so I would need to wear daily I guess to avoid winding issues.

Citizen Aqualand II - Chrono/Diver - same issue as the Seiko compass watch. That huge thing sticking out the side makes it perhaps too busy. But otherwise, I like the dial, bezel, red second hand.

St. Moritz Black Chronograph - looks thinner than most watches. Not sure about water resistance. Cool looking watch though.

Seiko SNM011 - Classy Retro-looking dial. I prefer a dial without ordinal numbers on it - not a requirement, but they tend to look better to me.

S.U.G - I was fooled. This watch looks more high quality than it actually is. Great reviews on this forum. Might be heavier than it looks in picture, but I like the retro-dial, red second hand, and the bezel is unique.:-!

British SBS with red second hand - I like the dial and second hand, but clearly this is a cheap watch. saw a picture of one opened up. And they seem to be launched on ebay from hong kong - something seems wrong.

Tauchmeister - Is this the German equivalent of a Seiko? It gets decent reviews, but priced similarly to Seikos. I always thought it was a low-end watch, similar to Timex.

Some very cool German watches in the German forum. Some are very expensive (more than I can get away with paying). Just don't know enough about German-made watches.

Considering investigating the "next level" to see what a few hundred more might buy, but is there really that much of a difference? I want to wear the watch often and bang it around a bit.

·
Registered
817 Posts
Since you're on the Dive Watch forum, I'm assuming you want to get something at least 200m water-resistant. That said, you can't go wrong with almost anything that Seiko makes. Their "monsters" which are all automatic are about the best value there is, and you'll find a lot of folks on this forum that have them in their collections. Personally I prefer the Seiko quartz divers but that's neither hear nor there. Almost anything in the Citizen Pro-Master or Aqualand collections are superb as well. Good luck with your searching....it's a fun process but be fore-warned: watches can be addicting!

·
Banned
5,568 Posts
I would have to echo the Seikos and the Marathon :-! .

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes...the Marathon SAR looks nice. Seems a bit more expensive than others I have mentioned (would be good to understand why). I wonder what a 'good deal' on such a watch would be. I see retail of $599.

I liked the Ocean 7 too - of course, my champagne taste selected the one that's limited edition and sold out. At a price of 800-1000 USD, probably more than I can spend.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'd like to make sure my understanding between quartz and automatic is correct. Quartz keeps more accurate time, and the internals of a quartz are nonmechanical - right? Battery operated and electronic components, many of which are plastic, correct?

Automatics are mechanical, and have a rewinding mechanism based on kinetic properties - some of which give you a manual wind option (which I think would be an important feature). Quality based on jewels, and metals used in movement, without mention of case and crystal - which I think I have a handle on.

Am I right here?

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
You can't go wring with the Seikos and Citizens.
Once the Seiko kinetics are fully charged, they run for weeks even if you don't wear them.
For less money, take a look at the Pulsar Tech Gear (Seiko's second label) 200m solar power diver (about $200).

Good hunting.

Steve
Fine watches are like diamonds for men

·
Registered
13,407 Posts
If you did decide to go up a notch and you have an interest in german brands,
here's a very good looking diver with your red second hand for 695$:

·
Registered
2,302 Posts
Welcome!!!

Just take your time and hang out around here for a while. The folks on this forum have or have had a ton a really great watches. You will find new options to consider...perhaps more than you want.

Dont forget to check out the Bathys (a favorite of many), which has both auto and quartz models and a red second hand as well.

I am sure you will find a great watch...or two to meet your needs.

Take care.
Al

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I had just decided that the Citizen Promaster NY0054 was it. I loved the metal bezel, bold dial marks, and red second hand. Just one problem - the darn crown is on the left hand side. And they don't make this model with the crown on the right hand side. Unbelievable. And sad. I was ready to purchase it. Really sucks. Why did they do that?

·
Registered
2,302 Posts
I had just decided that the Citizen Promaster NY0054 was it. I loved the metal bezel, bold dial marks, and red second hand. Just one problem - the darn crown is on the left hand side. And they don't make this model with the crown on the right hand side. Unbelievable. And sad. I was ready to purchase it. Really sucks. Why did they do that?
That looks like a nice watch!:-!

I think that the crown on the left is done, in some cases for comfort, as the crown won't dig into the back of you hand that way. I have a couple of watches with that feature and with the exception of having to remove the watch to change the time it it not an issue at all. I actually like it that way.

Good luck
Al

1 - 12 of 12 Posts