WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all, its time for another thread with me asking for opinions on a new-to-me affordable watch.

I am going into nursing school and need something that I can decontaminate, if necessary, and durable as an AK-47.

I really want an analogue watch, I've never been a fan of digital watches, and NEED a second hand.

While its not required, I would like a date readout.

Budget: I would like to stay under $300

Thanks for any info that you can give.

·
Banned
54 Posts
There are quite a few options that meet your criteria. A good, durable option is something in Seiko's SKX line, on a bracelet or rubber strap. I'm not exactly sure what decontamination entails, but I'm guessing it needs to be waterproof.

If you "NEED a second hand," does that mean a timer would be useful? You might consider a chronograph like the SNDA65.

·
Registered
241 Posts
TBH there is such a huge array under the $300 mark. And most from the big brands will more than suit your needs. I'd look for a 100m water resistance rating at least for piece of mind during decontamination (not sure all that decontamination entails, though) From Seiko I know you can find Military style, diver style, sport style, or dress style all well under that mark that fit the bill. You can find very nice Orients in there too.

Since you mentioned "durable as an AK-47" I can't help but mention the infamous Vostok Amphibia. It has the same, no nonsense, soviet design that the Kalashnikov has. The style looks a bit dated to some, but I love mine. And they can be had usually around $80 shipped and are very durable and water resistant. Note that there are many more subtle designs without anchors, ships, subs, divers, etc.... I just don't have any :p

Do you have a preference for Quartz or Mechanical? You can find great ones in both categories. Also, I'd recommend a non porous material for the strap, for sanitary purposes. a stainless steel bracelet could work, but has lots of nooks and crannies that water can sometimes stay trapped in for awhile until it starts leaking back onto you randomly. Rubber/synthetic would probably be best. I probably wouldn't do any sort of leather or cloth material.

Another notable mention are Casio G-shock watches, most are digital, but they do have some Analogs that should be very tough. I have no experience there so can't recommend any.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
There are quite a few options that meet your criteria. A good, durable option is something in Seiko's SKX line, on a bracelet or rubber strap. I'm not exactly sure what decontamination entails, but I'm guessing it needs to be waterproof.

If you "NEED a second hand," does that mean a timer would be useful? You might consider a chronograph like the SNDA65.
The reason that I need a second hand is to measure pulse and Blood pressure the old fashioned way; some hospitals and Doctor's offices require nurses to measure without the use of 'fancy' machines.

EDIT:

I have been considering a Russian watch, near the top of my list of things to get, but at a pawn shop near my current place of work there are a couple of watches that I've had my eyes on. Namely a Seiko Orange monster that they have for $150 and have been debating if I should jump on it or not.

·
Registered
241 Posts
I have been considering a Russian watch, near the top of my list of things to get, but at a pawn shop near my current place of work there are a couple of watches that I've had my eyes on. Namely a Seiko Orange monster that they have for $150 and have been debating if I should jump on it or not.
I don't know what they go for, but I know they are quality watches that come highly recommended... if you can get over how they look. Which I can't do.

·
Registered
5,830 Posts
The Russian or the Seiko?
If AK47 toughness is what you want, I'd go for a Seiko BFK, Citizen Eco-Drive, or an Analog G-Shock (the big daddy of tough watches). The Russian Vostoks are good watches, but can't touch a tough quartz for accuracy or durability. The Seiko Orange monster is an awesome watch and would be my personal choice between the two, but it's an aesthetic preference on my part.

Will

·
Registered
255 Posts
Have you looked at Bulova's Precisionist line? they are close to your limit, but they have sweep second hands, but quartz accuracy. which will be important when getting pulses, bpm, ect.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
If AK47 toughness is what you want, I'd go for a Seiko BFK, Citizen Eco-Drive, or an Analog G-Shock (the big daddy of tough watches). The Russian Vostoks are good watches, but can't touch a tough quartz for accuracy or durability. The Seiko Orange monster is an awesome watch and would be my personal choice between the two, but it's an aesthetic preference on my part.

Will
The Eco-Drive is what I had up until a couple of days ago, it did not go gently into that good night. While I loved the style of the Nighthawk and how it looked, mine was notoriously bad at keeping time and I had to replace the battery twice on my own dime.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Have you looked at Bulova's Precisionist line? they are close to your limit, but they have sweep second hands, but quartz accuracy. which will be important when getting pulses, bpm, ect.
interesting, but expensive.

I shall keep on the look out for one of these as I continue my search.

·
Registered
38 Posts
The Eco-Drive is what I had up until a couple of days ago, it did not go gently into that good night. While I loved the style of the Nighthawk and how it looked, mine was notoriously bad at keeping time and I had to replace the battery twice on my own dime.
My Eco had a habit of dive-bombing the ground. Eventually *something* inside broke during one of those bombing runs.

·
Registered
472 Posts
If I were you, I'd probably have two watches. One beater quartz for work/school, and then, if you like watches, a nicer watch for weekends etc. though I know school does take up a lot of time.

The toughest watch short of a G-Shock that I had would probably be the Casio HDA-600. It comes with a '10 year bettery' and will probably last 7 or 8 years, which is pretty great. It has a funny looking - but removeable - metal guard on the front which actually does work and protects the face. The resin case can take a beating - I dropped mine a million times. 100m water resistance was proven in a swimming pool and I regularly scrubbed it under a running tap. The lume is not bad, will last an hour or two. Finally, the best part, it's cheap. $20. When you lose it, you can buy another. Leaves you some good money for a nicer casual watch |>
The bad part? It's one ugly watch!
SAM_0636.JPG
SAM_0490.JPG
rs2.jpg

·
Registered
285 Posts
My lady friend is in same profession and needed a watch. I got her a Tissot PR50 and she loves it. I remember she explaining being analogue and quartz were important, but I forgot the reason:-d

So I guess PR100 quartz version could work for you. I heard they are built like tanks.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
If I were you, I'd probably have two watches. One beater quartz for work/school, and then, if you like watches, a nicer watch for weekends etc. though I know school does take up a lot of time.
It's not really that school takes up a lot of time, though I'm sure that nursing school will, and this is my 2nd degree so I know what kind of work load to expect.

Its more of the fact that I kinda wanted something that I could use in any place/situation. A watch that I could, if need be, dress up for a formal occasion (like a wedding) or just wear with whatever; my Nighthawk filled that role perfectly, I'm just tired of sending it in to get repaired.

Are mechanical watches, in my price range, okay or should I suck it up until I can afford an expensive watch later and settle for a cheaper watch now?

·
Registered
472 Posts
Ah yeah, that's understandable wanting a one-for-all type watch - it was the decontamination bit that got me..! i.e. do I want to wear watch that has been covered in.. whatever.. to somewhere else!

Regarding your budget, I think that's quite a healthy chunk to play with! You could take a look at any of the Seiko 5 range, which are very highly regarded and by all accounts 'tough'. They come in every style under the sun, dress, diver, military. Here's a good example of a diver with 100m WR:
Seiko Automatic Sports Watch SNZH57K1 SNZH57K SNZH57

If you're looking for something Swiss, you're probably looking for something with the ETA 2824 movement, again seems to be highly regarded, but budget may not allow a large selection. As mentioned above, Tissot make some nice watches!

It's not really that school takes up a lot of time, though I'm sure that nursing school will, and this is my 2nd degree so I know what kind of work load to expect.

Its more of the fact that I kinda wanted something that I could use in any place/situation. A watch that I could, if need be, dress up for a formal occasion (like a wedding) or just wear with whatever; my Nighthawk filled that role perfectly, I'm just tired of sending it in to get repaired.

Are mechanical watches, in my price range, okay or should I suck it up until I can afford an expensive watch later and settle for a cheaper watch now?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts