WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
427 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i want to get a digital ABC watch for my father-in-law. He's a hiking and weather enthusiast who lives in the San Bernardino mountains (CA). The catch? He wears a black plastic ironman, and may not be keen on something that looks and feels too different than that.

soooo.

I want an ABC watch, $100 or less, on the smaller/subdued end, and with a strap, not a bracelet.

Bonus points for black. Which model should I go for?

Thanks in advance! :thanks

·
Registered
3,518 Posts
You will be looking at double realistically unless you come across a deal, recently the Highgear Altis come up online for less than $100 online. there are ABC`s at this price point although you will need to compromise on build quality and durability.

Timex are just about to launch a new ABC the WS4, and that will well priced $150 or less, unfortunately it`s neither small or subdued.

look at the Casio PAW-1300 or PRG-110 (non Atomic & a little cheaper) they are highly recommended and very durable, you should be able to get a PRG-110 from Singapore for about $180. I would tend to pay a little more and get something that will last the course of time, you could always look at Casio`s twin sensor Protrek`s as that are much closer to you budget

PRG-80 & PRG-110Y

Q-6

·
Registered
180 Posts
You might be able to find a Highgear Axio for about that much; I believe regular MSRP is $125, but that's just an AB, no compass. You might also be able to find the Alterra for about that much, too.

Otherwise, search for Origo or Nike. Those tend to be the most affordable decent-to-very good ABC's. Price-wise, Highgear and Casios tend to be a step or so above, and then you get the high end Casios and Suuntos.

As far as size goes, ABC's just tend to be larger than your average Ironman, so it may not be that easy to find one that works for your dad. My Ironman is rather large for the line, and my Altis, which is relatively tidy by ABC standards, is comparatively massive.

One suggestion, if you want to get your dad a high quality ABC, but don't think he'll wear a large one is to get him an ABC that isn't a watch. Highgear makes the AltiTech, which is an ABC on a caribiner. I believe it has similar innards to the Altis/Alterra (so it should be outstanding, functionally), has a giant screen, but because he won't have to wear it on his wrist, it might be more his speed. It retails for $150, but Backcountry Outlet has it on sale for a hair under $100. Backcountry Outlet has a bunch of Origo ABC watches for ~ $100, too.

http://highgear.com/prod/AltiTech210.cfm?InventoryID=10&CategoryID=4&CFID=9996543&CFTOKEN=58494791

http://www.backcountryoutlet.com/ou...l?CMP_ID=SH_FRO002&CMP_SKU=HIG0025&mv_pc=r126

·
Registered
35,399 Posts
You will be looking at double realistically unless you come across a deal, recently the Highgear Altis come up online for less than $100 online. there are ABC`s at this price point although you will need to compromise on build quality and durability.

Timex are just about to launch a new ABC the WS4, and that will well priced $150 or less, unfortunately it`s neither small or subdued.

look at the Casio PAW-1300 or PRG-110 (non Atomic & a little cheaper) they are highly recommended and very durable, you should be able to get a PRG-110 from Singapore for about $180. I would tend to pay a little more and get something that will last the course of time, you could always look at Casio`s twin sensor Protrek`s as that are much closer to you budget

PRG-80 & PRG-110Y

Q-6
+1 b-)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts