WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

What do you think a fair price is for a Seamaster f300hz? It is NOS (even if it is almost 40 years old)!

f300.JPG

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
heh. i've been watching this one on the bay for a while now too. its a real pretty watch, but his buy it now price is obviously a little high. it ran for a month with no takers. it was just relisted.

i offered him a fair but lowish number, and he (understandably) passed.

im sure the vets here on the board could tell you what its worth. their collective knowledge is breathtaking. but i think valuation-type talk is generally discouraged.

good luck.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the info.

I guess I am too new here to understand why valuation talk is discouraged. In any event, if anyone is willing to chip in feel free to send me a PM instead if that makes any difference.

·
Registered
6,644 Posts
i didnt look at the watch which I assume is on bay? Anyway-This is one of the more desireable of the many asst f300hz. NOS also helps in keeping the price high. If its a 'true" nos -as in never touched or used-there shouldnt be any wear on the date wheel other then general age.
As for value f300s are a funny lot. 3 yrs ago you (or at least I found two) in excellent working condition-a Geneva and a Seamaster 'cone' for under $120 each. But the prices have jumped considerably in the past 3 yrs and I think your average working f3oo geneva or SM goes for apprx $225 to $500 and your model either in the white face or the black dial (which is harder to find in good condition( go for $400 -800 and I've seen them higher at online dealers).

You may very well be able to find a nice looking Geneva model f300 for under $200 but not a working model of the SM you have pictured above

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Thanks Dabaeker. The watch in question is advertised as NOS, but apparently without box/papers. As you mention, I have also read about issues with the date wheel and that the technology in general is quite fragile? Any info on typical lifespan of the accutron movement inside and the date wheel mechanism?

It is advertised for 1,150 british pounds which is equivalent to almost 1,850 USD - quite a distance from the price ranges you mention... Quite a lot of money for a watch which may be fragile and questionable in terms of "collectibility".

I do find it attractive, but if I bought one I would like to wear it often. I am just worried about wearing it frequently, as I have read about people who take out the battery and just keep in a box for most of the time, which I think is a shame. I do have quite a few other Omegas and Rolexes, but any "new" watch I buy deserves some wrist time IMO.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Judging by the number of replies, people either do not have sufficient insight about the watch or maybe the so-called discouraging of valuation talk is putting a lid on comments (something I still fail to understand). Input is still needed. Perhaps I should be posting this under the vintage board...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts