WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
20,651 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

Too much different G-Shocks to go through and check whether the one model offers what my friend needs. So I thought I ask THE experts in here b-)

My friend is a field hockey trainer (will become the trainer for the Dutch ladies team after the Olympics) and he is looking for a new watch. It should have features like:

• countdown timer
  • split timer/interval timer
  • 2nd timezone (he travels all over the world)
  • chronograph
  • ana/digi dial
Please let me know your suggestions.

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
I'm no expert on this watch but this could be an ideal piece which is used by match referees in say soccer for example.

G-Shock DW56RTB

Shock Resistant
200M Water Resistant
Auto EL Backlight with Afterglow \
World Time
29 time zones (48 cities), city code display, daylight saving on/off
Daily Alarm
Referee Timers
9 preset start timers: 10, 12, 15, 20, 25, 30, 35, 40, 45 minutes
Measuring unit: 1 second
Timer modes: Elapsed time, auto repeat
*Measurement of elapsed time for up to 60 minutes after the countdown reaches zero
9 interval timers
Input range: 59’55 (5-second increments and 1-second increments)
Auto-repeat function
1/100 second stopwatch
Measuring capacities: Upper display: 59’59”, Lower display: 99’59”
Measuring units: 1 second (upper and lower display)
Measuring modes: Elapsed time, event timer, injury timer
Hourly Time Signal
Auto Calendar (pre-programmed until the year 2099)
12/24 Hour Formats
Accuracy:±15 seconds per month
Battery CR2016
Approx. battery life: 5 years
Module 2991

Size of case/total weight
50.2 x 43.0 x 13.4mm / 52g

·
Registered
171 Posts
Hey Chief,

I can't find exactly what you're looking for, but this is what i can do (I'm sure the experts would chime in later)

G-056 (aka Polygon) http://www.casio-intl.com/wat/g_shock/standard/g-056.html

It has:
Timer
Interval timer
Stopwatch/chrono
World time
and it's thinner than most g-shocks

It doesn't have Ana-digi display, though.

Good luck!

·
Registered
3,299 Posts
As far as I know, none of Casio's ana-digi have preset interval timers,
just the basic 1 hour count down timer.

·
Moderator G-Shock Forum
6,286 Posts
Agree!

I´m also not aware of a ana-digi one according to admins requirements.
If ana-digi is dropped, there are many Gs available, i.e.:
G-7700
Mudman
Gulfman
DW-6900
DW-5600

·
Registered
4,569 Posts
Hi Ernie,

I agree with our previous friends. Ana-Digis G-Shock have some limitations, not only in the chrono and timer capacities, but also in terms of legibility, which I think must be important for a sports coach.

Just for example, there is the AW591CL C-Spec, a recent model. It has, among others, the following functions:

* 1 hour digital chronograph with split time and 1st 2nd times.
* 1 hour countdown timer.
* World Time mode with 29 time zones/27 cities.

But, as you can see, its legibility is kind of limited, because those functions are displayed on the little subdials:

I think that a good digital option for your friend would be the G7710 G-Spike, which has an outstanding chrono function, among others. It has many of the functions he's looking for:
  • Shock Resistant
  • 200M Water Resistant
  • Auto EL Backlight with Afterglow
  • Dual Time
  • World Time 29 time zones (48 cities), city code display, daylight saving on/off
  • Week and Day number display.
  • 4 Multi-function Alarms and 1 Snooze Alarm. Alarm Repeat Patterns: daily, once, weekend, Weekday
  • Countdown Timer (TR1): Measuring unit: 1 second. Countdown range: 1 minute to 100 hours. Other: Auto-repeat Function (Timer-to-timer, 5 repeats)
  • Countdown Timer (TR2). Measuring unit: 1 second. Countdown range: 1 minute to 100 hours. Other: Auto-repeat Function (Timer-to-timer, 5 repeats).
  • 1/1000 second stopwatch: Measuring capacity: Lap time 59’59.999”; Split time 9:59’59.999”. Measuring modes: Elapsed time, lap/split times. Memory Capacity: 2 Elapsed time records, each w/ 100 entries (1 elapsed time entry, 99 lap split time entries). Recorded Data: Elapsed time, lap/split times, lap/split numbers, best lap and number, month, date, time. Other: Auto-start
  • Hourly Time Signal
  • Signal Repeat Patterns: specified start/end time, daily, weekend, Weekday
  • Flash Alert (stopwatch auto-start, countdown timer time up alarm, countdown timer progress beeper, alarms, hourly time signal)
  • Button operation tone on/off
  • Auto Calendar (pre-programmed until the year 2099)
  • 12/24 Hour Formats
  • Accuracy: +/-15 seconds per month
  • Battery: CR2025
  • Approx. battery life: 5 years
  • Module 3095
  • Size of case/total weight: 52.3 x 45.9 x 14.6 mm / 58g.
You can see it in detail here:

http://www.casio.com/products/Timepiece/G-Shock/G7700-1/

And welcome to the forum. :-d

·
Registered
29,512 Posts
I think that a good digital option for your friend would be the G7710 G-Spike, which has an outstanding chrono function, among others. It has many of the functions he's looking for.
Agreed. It comes closest to the specified requirements. The aesthetics are a bit dubious, but that's probably not a priority considering its intended use.

·
Registered
4,619 Posts
I would say it's between the DW56RTB and the G7700 / G7710 too. If 2 intervals are enough then the 7700 / 7710 would definately be my choice. If it must be more, then the DW56RTB (basic version) will do the job, and has a nice, clear display.

·
Registered
919 Posts
I suggest the AWG-100 Multi-Band 5 "solar atomic."

http://www.casio-europe.com/euro/watch/gshock/

The digital subdials can be quite small so your friend should check out other non-G Casio analong digitals with lager digital displays. Casio analog digital stopwatches & countdown timers often reset after 1 hr. so he might want to avoid those models. Full digitals are much better in that respect.

·
Registered
2,782 Posts
Hi Ernie, looking through the Casio website this one came to mind as the digital part is larger so easier to read, I think it fit's the bill spec wise as well
Here are the specs and picture.

G304RL-1A1V.

• Shock Resistant
  • 200M Water Resistant
  • EL Backlight with Afterglow
  • World Time
    29 time zones (27 cities), city code display, daylight saving on/off
  • 4 Daily Alarms & 1 Snooze Alarm
  • Countdown Timer
    Countdown range: 1 minute to 60 minutes
    Auto-repeat Function
  • 1/100 second stopwatch
    Measuring capacity: 59’59.99”
    Measuring modes: Elapsed time, split time, 1st-2nd place times
  • Hourly Time Signal
  • Auto Calendar (pre-programmed until the year 2039)
  • 12/24 Hour Formats
  • Accuracy: +/-15 seconds per month
  • Battery SR927W x 2
  • Approx. battery life: 3 years
  • Module 4367
Size of case/total weight
51.7 x 46.0 x 16.5mm / 58g

·
Registered
8,522 Posts
hi ernie,

its not a g-shock, but nevertheless as tough as it gets and with the best (and useful) dial layout I have seen to date on any ana-digi watch, I love mine and can't recommend it highly enough:

or a little "stealthier" if he prefers:

I have the metal band version, and although its stainless steel, it looks like all titanium, I swear:

in short: the watch got all the features, we are looking for (including 24h stopwatch AND 24h countdown timer !!!)

for the complete specifications have a look at this:

http://www.casio-europe.com/euro/watch/sports/spf-60-1aver/

regards, holger

·
Registered
6,361 Posts
introducing the G601-1av

• World Time - 29 time zones (27 cities), city code display, daylight saving on/off
  • 1/100 second stopwatch
    Measuring capacity: 59’59.99”
    Measuring modes: Elapsed time, split time, 1st-2nd place times
  • Countdown Timer
    Countdown range: 1 minute to 60 minutes
    Auto-repeat Function

·
Registered
5,160 Posts
hi ernie,

its not a g-shock, but nevertheless as tough as it gets and with the best (and useful) dial layout I have seen to date on any ana-digi watch, I love mine and can't recommend it highly enough:

or a little "stealthier" if he prefers:

I have the metal band version, and although its stainless steel, it looks like all titanium, I swear:

in short: the watch got all the features, we are looking for (including 24h stopwatch AND 24h countdown timer !!!)

for the complete specifications have a look at this:

http://www.casio-europe.com/euro/watch/sports/spf-60-1aver/

regards, holger
These models look great. They don't seem to be in many shops though. :think:

Very smart way to have the see-through hands. |>

·
Registered
8,522 Posts
These models look great. They don't seem to be in many shops though. :think:{/quote]

hi blue,

yes those models are not available in the US (with exception of the metal one), nor are they listed on the casio.com US site. however, they all can be bought in europe, most of them via ebay.de

Very smart way to have the see-through hands. |>
right and one great way for a good illumanition technique. we are all aware of the fact, that it is next to useless when casio tries to illuminate hands on analog watches, aren't we. what casio really can do great is to illumate a digital display with the el-backlight. if you look on those watches at the display at night you clearly can see the hands as silhouettes, which looks just great. I try to make a nightshot of my sea pathfinder as soon as I find time.

regards, holger

1 - 14 of 14 Posts