WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'll preface this by saying that I am a student so my budget is ~$300 but I really want to diversify my watch rotation. Right now I have a Seiko 007 (the classic, first watch and I love it) and a Seiko 5 (SNKA05) which I like a lot but it looks a little more like a dress watch than the casual everyday knockaround.

I want to add to my small collection by getting a new style and I love the simplicity of classically styled aviator watches. Right now I am primarily between two watches (Seiko SNE331 and Laco Aachen) but I am open to anybody's suggestions if you have something I should take a look at! I obviously love the price point of the Seiko but I wish that it were automatic instead of quartz. The Laco is automatic and comes with sapphire glass which is always nice with an everyday watch, but it will most likely cost me around $200 more. I am definitely willing to spend more if the watch is worth it though. Ultimately I would just like to hear from people that have experience with these watches or any others that I should take a look at.

·
Registered
10,896 Posts
Have you looked at the Orient Flight?

Or to knock out two birds with one stone-- pilot and chrono -- have you looked at the Laco Trier? No shame in a quartz chronograph since you just can't do automatics in budget.

·
Registered
4,038 Posts
welcome to WUS Ben.

I'd suggest the Seiko over the Laco. Primarily because of the movement in the Laco. Personally I prefer the 9015 over the 82xx series when it comes to Miyota. The Seiko Solar should give you many years of service.

·
Registered
7,200 Posts
Orient Flight or a Tisell flieger would be my choice.

Also, Junkers has several good looking pilot style watches. I really like the G38 series.

Another to check in to is Gavox.

I honestly could keep naming brands to check out. Keep an eye on the WRUW threads, find something that really speaks to you.

·
Registered
127 Posts
I have the Seiko SNE331 and its blue strapped version. I have received compliments on both of them. They are rugged and reliable since they have quartz movements. The solar charging is a nice feature and the power reserve is good. They don't have sapphire crystals but that would have raised the price. I also have a couple of Orient Flights. Not quite as rugged as the Seiko's since they are automatics but they are reliable and quite the conversation starter if someone notices the type B dial. Again, no sapphire crystal but that would have made it more expensive. I recommend both the Seikos and the Orients without any reservations. Just pick the one that meets your needs.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks everyone for your input. I remember telling myself that I was going to buy a quartz movement for my next watch so I decided to pull the trigger on the Seiko SNE331. When I get it I will upload my review as I've noticed that there aren't really any online!

·
Premium Member
73,641 Posts
Like many have already said take a look at the Orient Flight. I have the Laco Aachen B and it's a lovely bit of kit.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts