WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys for the past month I have diligently been working on designing my first watch. I am a newcomer on watchuseek, however think I share the same love of watches as everyone else does on here. Anyways, basically I am starting a brand around this first watch which I hope will develop into more designs and eventually a full fledged brand. Right now I am finalizing photorealistic renderings as well as 3D CADs for a manufacturer based in China.

I have decided to manufacturer in China for three main reasons. One, it is supposed to be more cost effective than other countries. Two, the manufacturers I have talked to so far are able to produce the whole watch, not just the mechanism or watch case but everything. And three, I used to live in Beijing and speak some Chinese, at least enough to grasp a understand of most things they say.

The purpose of this thread is to help me find a reliable manufacturer. I have read all the threads I could find on this including all of IanC's Custom Chinese watch project, and DanC's OWC which is kind of out dated by now as I can contest companies change super fast in China. The manufacturers I have contacted include basically every watch manufacturer that has the word watch in their name that is listed on alibaba. Also I have started to reach out to watch manufacturers on the Hong Kong trade development council website: hktdc.com - Watch from Verified Manufacturers & Suppliers -that is the over 600 company name list you get when searching watch.

For the manufacturers I have contacted thus far, not one has said they couldn't product what I am looking for, which isn't uncommon among Chinese. Also each one has signed a NDA, even though it would be near impossible to use this against them. Furthermore, each manufacturer has filled out a questionnaire I made. So far I have about five possibilities. I tried to attached the questionnaire but keep getting a error.

I would more than appreciate any advice or expertise!

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Update: After contacting over 20 manufacturers based in China, I confined the list down to 5 which I believe to be reputable enough and capable enough to produce my watch. So far I have sent them CAD files of my watch and have gotten price quotes from 2 of the 5. One has quoted me at about $500 for a mould and another has quoted me at about $1500 for a mould. To confine the list of manufacturers I cross checked them on Alibaba, Global Sources, HKTDC, if they had attended a trade show, if they had their own website domain, and a few other minor things. The price they have given me is a mould cost to produce my first sample after which I will have a set price per watch. Is anyone familiar with setting up moulds?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Also any advice on choosing a miyota or seiko movement? Both seem pretty similar and around the same cost according to these manufacturers.

·
Banned
8,921 Posts
Also any advice on choosing a miyota or seiko movement? Both seem pretty similar and around the same cost according to these manufacturers.
If you are going for an entry level movement; you would be better off with a Chinese one. They are as well made as either the Seiko or Miyota entry level movements and far less expensive.

Should you be looking at mid tier like Miyota 9015 or Seiko 6r20; then you will definitely be farther ahead with the Chinese calibres.

·
Registered
695 Posts
Both are extremely good prices for moulds, so good in fact it makes one wonder of the quality.
Might be good, might be bad. You should be very cautious.

Also get your case design 3d printed in plastic to verify the proportions and dimensions match your expectancies before ordering the mould because there's no going back.

·
Registered
Speedmaster coaxial on Forstner Komfit
1,956 Posts
Glad that you can finally answer your own question ;-)

Did you start that company? Right now the information given on the web site seems a bit thin. Posting a few example stories of watches actually produced (or in the process) might help. In any case, at first glance it seems a nice service.

Also, I think a post summarizing the services of this company would be very helpful for many many inquiries on the F6 Watchmaking forum.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts