WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got this problem. I'm sure you must be thinking "add it to the list".. .

In the past month or so, I've acquired an Orange Monster, Black Monster, Millemetri "deep blue", and an U1. I don't even want to go into the rest of '07, in terms of purchases. It's been a good year for watches, in spite of it being an awful year for some of us in the building business.

My girlfriend is good with watches, generally speaking. But I think she's starting to wonder about my spending habits. I get kind of excited to see new faces populating the collection, and it's tough to curb my enthusiasm by not looking at my new watch every five seconds. I am handcuffed by time itself!

For starters, I don't let her see any packaging. No inner or outer boxes or receipts anywhere in sight. I made an issue of the excellent deal I made on the Orange Monster, and all the other USED watches I've been getting.

However, the "I've had this thing forever" explanation is falling on deaf ears- and the population is growing.

I KNOW some of you guys are dealing with these same issues. I'm looking for suggestions on how to snow the loved one in my life about the dreaded mania that's taken over my existence.

Thank you for your time.. .

·
Registered
763 Posts
I lol'd
It catches up with you! I am in the midst of selling a lot of watches. I just bought a brand new Breiltling and I have a used Omega on the way - the wife finally snapped!!
I mean she really got pissed! I have to sell all the watches that she never sees me wear. The funny thing is most of these watches are cheaper but the 4 I have sold have already added up to $1000 so it is helping to pay for the new ones. I have come to realize I only wear a couple of my more special watches so from now on If I buy a new one I will sell the one that gets the least wear.
Hopefully that will keep the peace!

·
Registered
95 Posts
This comes up on other collectors forums as well. The best answer I've heard is getting a "gun" safe. Any safe thats stated purpose is to hold things she WONT be interested in. The object is to make her as aware of things in the safe as you are of the make up in her makeup drawer or bag... A tool safe, a knife safe basically a man safe. Good luck!

·
Registered
5,448 Posts
I don't bother trying to find an excuse. I just tell my GF that a new one is incoming. Her answer to that statement normally is, "if you can afford it and want it, why not?". Honesty is the best policy in my book.

Alex;-)

·
Registered
5,369 Posts
I've got this problem. I'm sure you must be thinking "add it to the list".. .

In the past month or so, I've acquired an Orange Monster, Black Monster, Millemetri "deep blue", and an U1. I don't even want to go into the rest of '07, in terms of purchases. It's been a good year for watches, in spite of it being an awful year for some of us in the building business.

My girlfriend is good with watches, generally speaking. But I think she's starting to wonder about my spending habits. I get kind of excited to see new faces populating the collection, and it's tough to curb my enthusiasm by not looking at my new watch every five seconds. I am handcuffed by time itself!

For starters, I don't let her see any packaging. No inner or outer boxes or receipts anywhere in sight. I made an issue of the excellent deal I made on the Orange Monster, and all the other USED watches I've been getting.

However, the "I've had this thing forever" explanation is falling on deaf ears- and the population is growing.

I KNOW some of you guys are dealing with these same issues. I'm looking for suggestions on how to snow the loved one in my life about the dreaded mania that's taken over my existence.

Thank you for your time.. .
Lynn said that she will give your GF a call to point out this thread, so it doesn't matter what you do now!

Mitch

·
Registered
1,362 Posts
Start off the way you mean to go on. Honesty.
Or the sexist answer:
If she still does not approve just point out you are the breadwinner, pay all the bills, put a roof over her head and give her money to spend what you do with the rest is your business.

If she is the breadwinner, collect beer mats:-d

Merry Christmas
Andy

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
Just tell her you traded one of the watches you already owned for this one. After a while she won't have clue what's going on. Just don't put the watch box on your night stand... the safe is a good idea.

·
Registered
354 Posts
I would try and rationalize whats going on with the buying spree compared to the financial situation in your life...

if you can make a solid argument that: A. the bills are paid B. you expect to be able to pay the bills in the forseeable future, C. you can reserve some cash every month for entertainment for you and the GF, D. you can reserve some cash every year to take a vacation of some sort, E. there is a general sense of financial stability in your life, you should be able to justify the purchasing.

Try and get to the root of her dissatisfaction in your spending habits, and find out what the actual issue may be. Here are a couple examples of what I mean...

Perhaps she is thinking in her mind: "I want to get married and buy a house with meta4ick soon, and the way he buys luxury items is freaking me out! How are we going to pay a mortgage?!" or maybe she is thinking: "my last boyfriend or last husband was horrible with our finances and we got into heavy debt! meta4ick's watch buying really scares me of getting into that situation again!" And lastly, it could be something as simple as: "I'm jealous he gets to buy the luxury items and I can't." People have hotbuttons and maybe you are pushing hers without knowing it.

once you can find the actual problem, you can develop a plan to talk through it.

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
This comes up on other collectors forums as well. The best answer I've heard is getting a "gun" safe. Any safe thats stated purpose is to hold things she WONT be interested in. The object is to make her as aware of things in the safe as you are of the make up in her makeup drawer or bag... A tool safe, a knife safe basically a man safe. Good luck!
Gun Safe - That is where I keep my watches. I even keep them in a couple pistol bags. This does keep her from really wanting anything to do with them; but, as Alex and Andy have stated, "Honesty is always the best policy."

If you don't dig a hole, you never have to explain why you are dirty.

I've been on a spree this past year as well, so I been "feeling the heat." Granted, she may want to speak her mind on it, but that's the toll you have to pay. I also foresee that I will have to "sell off some assets" soon. I have other watches that I never wear. I don't list them below for that reason, so I will probably send them to eBay or if they are worthy enough, I'll head to the Sales Corner. Some are not even worth the effort of selling. I should probably donate'em or toss'em.

When she looks over my shoulder all she sees is a "whole bunch of watches"--as she puts it, and "How many do you actually wear?" she says. I tell her maybe half of them; so, the others will move on. Most will not be missed once they are gone...

...but, she wants me to sell a car or two or three as well. That's more difficult...but that collection will also be reduced. If I ain't driving'em, they ain't really cars; they are a rusting cart of parts.

So be as upfront as possible. The permission versus forgiveness proposition was made up by a guy who either didn't care if he lost what he had, or didn't have a woman in the first place.

Moderation in all things!

DJ

·
Registered
95 Posts
Hey I'm honest about things... I think selling off one or two toys has huge benefits, even if you buy them just to sell them. It shows that if there is a need at some point, you will be able to let them go. It also shows that your mostly responsible about things, because its not all BUY BUY BUY. It demonstrates some degree of moderation...

·
Registered
4,051 Posts
I don't bother trying to find an excuse. I just tell my GF that a new one is incoming. Her answer to that statement normally is, "if you can afford it and want it, why not?". Honesty is the best policy in my book.

Alex;-)
Right on the money. Married 13 years, and while I don't go over board, my wife and I have the same approach when it comes to purchases.

If she has issues with it, but it is not adversely affecting YOUR finances, you need to make it clear that your spending on your hobbies is your business. Make sure this kind of stuff is on the table and a non-issue prior to getting married. Otherwise she gets half your watches in the divorce...ouch!!!o|

If she has you scurrying around about this now, you are done if you get married.

R

·
0 Posts
LOL. Welcome to the "spouse got your balls" club *(just kidding). Let see, I had a good collection of watches before I met my wife - Breitling, Sinn, Omega, Marathon, Rolex, IWC, Fortis, etc. etc. etc. I also had a Ducati 749S (my red devil) as my fun weekend ride. Sold my Duc and several watches to get an engagement ring (ouch and yeah she loves the "huge" rock).

She was nice enough to get me a Breitling Blackbird I always wanted. But there was a catch - I had to rid of the watches I don't wear. (ouch again). She says you need 1 watch, that's it - the blackbird she got me. (ouch ouch!)

Things gotten much better though. I told her that I wanted to buy a Breitling Emergency since I'm flying a lot again and needs a secondary "insurance" device, she let me get one.

Just be up front with her and take care her needs first. (i.e. diamond earrings or necklace) A little bribery works very well.

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Lynn said that she will give your GF a call to point out this thread, so it doesn't matter what you do now!

Mitch

:::Rick shakes Magick Eight Ball:::

:::answer comes into view:::

"THERE IS AN LM6-GMT IN YOUR FUTURE"

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
You know, I get what you guys are putting down, as they say. An inventory of ideas would suggest that the following options are currently available:

Get a couple of LM6-gmt's.

Gun safe.

Diamond earrings or necklace or RINGGGGG.

Take the heat.

Collect beer mats.

Say the new watch came as a result of a trade.

"Dump the GF."

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
Make sure this kind of stuff is on the table and a non-issue prior to getting married.
Yes, Sir. :-!

Otherwise she gets half your watches in the divorce...ouch!!!o|
Ohh, the horror! :-(

If she has you scurrying around about this now, you are done if you get married.
AND from experience I will say, been there, done that, got the lawyers papers & the t-shirt and wished I hadn't. o|

Solution: :think: Refer to the first passage above.

DJ

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
My wife finally blew a gasket the other day when another paypal payment was posted for roughly a grand.

I have been placating her for the last six months with the old: I sold three to buy one, sold some other stuff cameras etc to buy this one, this is the last one for six months, that was a great deal and I can flip it for a profit, I've seen a QVC box everyday for the last month coming to the house, I am not spending the grocery money for this ya know, and it has been sort of successful until the last one.

Well I was in deep as you could imagine so I pulled the out: I am easy to get along with, don't drink ,do drugs, don't cheat, good husband and dad (I think) and have a damn good job which I work hard at for long hours, most of the time I am wheeling and dealing when the kids are asleep and these watches give a small amount of joy.
I think the fear of the constant turnover is what gets her, the need for immediate gratification possibly extending to other things.
good luck
eds

1 - 20 of 35 Posts