WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all fans of German watches :)

I've been searching for a new watch lately, and my wish-list has so far been a) automatic b) at least 40 mm c) centrum second hand d) preferably less than € 500. After been looking for a long time, I had finally decided for a Stowa Marine Automatic. I thought.

Enter the Nomos Club Datum, which is a) mechanic b) too small c) small second dial d) way above my price limit. Nevertheless, I felt the second I saw it that this is the watch I want :p (which never occurred with the Stowa). I am afraid I cannot longer justify spending € 520 on the Stowa, knowing that it would be a compromise. Damn.

Fortunately, I found a used one. But it is the 36 mm model, and with black dial. It will fit my budget though. A new Club Date with white dial will cost me twice, and I even got a rebate from my AD ... But 36 mm is usually too small for me, having a 7.5" wrist. Do you think it will wear large? It does have quite a bezel, which usually means not.

So I'm not sure what to do o|, take a chance on the used 36 mm model, destroy my saving account and go for the white Club Datum or wait and save and hope to come across a used one in the future (which frankly doesn't seem very likely).

Any help would greatly be appreciated. I'm a student and this is my first "real" watch, so I want something that I can have for a long time and will look good both for everyday wear in school as well as when I need to look a bit more dressy.

·
Registered
374 Posts
I have a Nomos Tangente and I enjoy it. The watch has a big face/thin bezel, so it wears big. I will say I'm 5'7"--relatively small.

Search for Nomos wrist shots, including mine!

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
I've been wearing my 36mm ivory dialed Nomos Club for 3 weeks now. I have a 71/4" wrist and am quite happy with the way the watch wears. I think this is due primarily to the fact that the lugs are long, thus making the watch wear larger than it is.

I cannot praise this watch enough, it is very readable and the movement exquisite. Also the watch is very accurate, just under 4 seconds/day.

Perhaps because I'm a 69 year old fart the supposed small size of 36mm doesn't bother me remembering when much smaller watches were the norm or is just you young-uns just compensating.

Attachments

·
Registered
919 Posts
I tried on the white, 41.5 mm version a few months ago. It wears large, and I thought it looked too big on my 7.25" wrist. I was looking for a dress watch and the size combined with the orange accents made it too sporty for me. It's a very nice watch though. It's much more impressive in person than in photos IMO. If I get one someday, I think I'd go for the 40mm, black, no-date version.

Good luck, and post photos when you get it!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks everyone for the insights! |>

scarlet knight, good idea, but Tangente has a smaller bezel afaik, and it's a dress watch that "should" be smaller.

mike, well in many cases I certainly agree but I think it depends on the wrist and the watch. I will definitely try before buy! I tried my 36 mm Seiko that also wears big (ie small bezel) and it looks ok but on the small side on my wrist, but that is a chronograph and such watches does imho look better on a bigger watch. 36 mm could work.

Ron, haha, funny last sentence - might be true ;-) That watch looks really good on your wrist, congratulations. I think it not only "wears big", but also has a design that looks good in smaller sizes. Funny that Nomos claims the Club to be aimed at a younger audience knowing your age, I consider that as a sign of truly great design - appeals to all ages.

drewmcd24, thanks, when you said you were looking for a dress watch and thought it was too sporty, that's exactly the kind of watch I want! :-! I think the automatic are out of the question, too expensive and I prefer the creme color rather than the white. But I'm flexible if I find a "bargain".

My plan is to try the 36 and 38.5 in the store, if the 36 feels good I might buy either the used one or a new in creme, otherwise I'll probably wait a little. However I'm very certain that the Club will be me next watch, it's more a question of when ...

And I will of course take some photos b-)

·
Registered
647 Posts
Saving and waiting is probably the right move if the Club spoke to you in the way you describe. Not hugely expensive watches for what you get and I am sure you won't be disappointed when you open the box!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks, the question now is if I want the white (creme) one, or the black one! What is your opinion?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts