WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a vintage Waltham Pocket Watch that needs a Balance assembly. The little jewel that goes into the escapement has broken off. Is there anyone who can direct me to a supplier. See images and description below.

Here is what I know about the watch:

Manufacturer: Waltham
Manufacturer Location: Waltham, Massachusetts
Movement Serial Number: 9137621
Grade: Riverside
Model: 1888
Estimated Production Year: 1899
Run Quantity: 1,600
Total Production: 57,459
Size: 16s
Jewels: 15j
Movement Configuration: Openface
Movement Setting: Pendant
Plate: 3/4 Plate
Regulator: Patent
Hairspring: Breguet
Adjusted: Yes
Adjusted to Position: Yes
Data Research: 1954 Waltham "Gray Book" List
52MM Overal Diameter

1.JPG

2.JPG

3.JPG

4.JPG

5.JPG

·
Vintage & NAWCC Forum moderator
2,429 Posts
Replacing the balance, complete is frowned upon as a general rule, and especially for a problem as small as a missing roller jewel.

Replacement impulse jewels are available, although you need the "long" size which can be a bit more difficult to find. You need a half round jewel. I determine the correct diameter by using a feeler gauge to measure the fork width and then subtracting .02mm(some folks subtract .01, but I generally only get that tight on high grade watches). There are special feeler gauges made just for this, although an automotive feeler gauge can be used(with some difficulty) in a pinch.

When you locate the correct sized jewel, order a couple of them as they are cheap and chances are good you'll lose your first one.

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
tonygret...as always, Ben is a fine guide to American pocket watches.

When you locate a proper impulse jewel, do seriously consider that installing it can be very challenging for anyone new to the procedure...these little critters are: tiny & hard-to-hold & want to fly out of tweezers & are reluctant to go where you want them & must be 'perfectly' positioned in the roller table...!

I've done many over the years, and now find the process rather fun (!), but it's taken quite a long time.

Go slowly, be very careful not to lose the jewel ( you'll see what I mean, when you see the jewel...), and become familiar with the process ( Internet video ), before you start.

Hope it goes well! Michael.

ps: PM if any issues arise...I'll be happy to help.

·
Registered
4,037 Posts
Hi there,

I determine the correct diameter by using a ...
I simply flattened a tapered pin as used for hinges. It can be pushed into the D-shaped hole, and the diameter is taken from it.

...these little critters are: tiny & hard-to-hold & want to fly out of tweezers & are reluctant to go where you want them & must be 'perfectly' positioned in the roller table...!
Rodico is my best friend to place tiny bits anywhere. And I made a brass plate with holes of various depths to hold roller table and jewel in place while heating it to melt the shellac.

Maybe these little helpers need few minutes to make them, but you'll save more than this time when placing your first impulse jewel.

Regards, Roland Ranfft

·
Registered
447 Posts
I have 6-9 D shaped jewels for Waltham 18 PW. Ben said you needed long ones. How long are they(yes I know not very)? I can measure tonight and get back to you tomorrow if interested.

·
Vintage & NAWCC Forum moderator
2,429 Posts
I have 6-9 D shaped jewels for Waltham 18 PW. Ben said you needed long ones. How long are they(yes I know not very)? I can measure tonight and get back to you tomorrow if interested.
I'm working from memory, but I think "long" jewels(for single roller) are typically 2.5-3mm long, while "short" ones(for double roller) are around 1mm long.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts