WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have recently decided to upgrade from my basic watch to something significantly nicer. Unfortunately, as I look at whats out there and all the features available I have come to the conclusion that I needed to significantly up my budget which now stands in the $3,000 range. I have also realized that with the thousands of options out there, if I am going to spend that much money it is going to have to have to meet many requirements. First, I have I tiny wrist so 44mm+ is out and 41mm may be the max. Second, I really like the moon phase complication so that is a requirement as well as the date (while the day of the week is not required I do want that too. Third, Chronograph, I initially said no but, based on what I have looked at I definitely want this feature (but could sacrifice it for something else, either price or other complications). Finally, an added bonus would be an annual calendar and/or a retrograde dial for one of the complications but I have not seen anything I like thats small enough and in my price range.

With a leather band being a must I am currently looking at two options and need brand advise and will take any suggestions on others to look at.

Both are practically identical in terms of complications and their arrangement on the face with subdials at 12, 6 and 9. They are:

1) Maurice Lacroix Les Classiques chronographe phases de lune automatic with the silver dial. Model: LC6078-SS001-13E
Maurice-Lacroix-Mens-Les-Classiques.jpg
2) Longines version in their Master Collection. Model L2.673.4.78.3
Longines.jpg

Please let me know what you think.

Thank you,
Alex

·
Moderator Public Forum
2,876 Posts
Although I own a Maurice Lacroix, I am not a huge fan of either brand. With that said, in this instance I like the looks of the ML. As far as brands, not really certain but I think today I am leaning toward Longines.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Hi Alex,

Longines Master all day. You could same I'm biased because I now own the very model, but the truth is, I debated several watches and researched for months before pulling the trigger, and the Longines came out on top.

I think the band and case are much nicer on the Longines. The case is extremely well finished (to my surprise). Furthermore, I prefer the dial and hands on the Longines, but that's certainly more of a preference (whereas, I simply think the case/pushers/band are a better fit on the Longines). It is a chrono, and I think the Maurice Lacroix band is a bit too dressy, whereas the stitched brown band looks great in everyday wear, as well as dressy wear.

Also, the Longines can be readily had for ~$2300 (bought mine at a brick and mortar AD for 2200).

photo(15).JPG

·
Registered
123 Posts
Great addition to the thread!

Please re-read. I never said the price made it good. Price is simply a point of comparison, and since he is comparing two watches, price is generally a consideration. If you are so rich that it is never a consideration, good for you. Recognize, though, that this is not the case for the vast majority of buyers.

Also, why is that a comma before the word "good"?

Price does not make a watch, good.

·
Registered
2,579 Posts
I don't share all the love that Longines seems to get from this forum. For no special reason - just don't see myself getting anything from the brand. Between these two, it'll be ML for me.

·
Registered
38,770 Posts
Just reached over and picked up a few $20 Gold Pieces that fell off the table. My wife, a retired teacher, just
corrected me on that one. She says you get an A for the day. Great addition to the thread!

Please re-read. I never said the price made it good. Price is simply a point of comparison, and since he is comparing two watches, price is generally a consideration. If you are so rich that it is never a consideration, good for you. Recognize, though, that this is not the case for the vast majority of buyers.

Also, why is that a comma before the word "good"?[/QUOTE]

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
thank you, all for your responses. I went to a large watch store, Tourneau, during lunch today and saw the Longines. Think it looks great and the dial looks much cleaner in person than in the photos I have seen. Although I have still not seen the Maurice lacroix in person I am now leaning towards the Longines. I don't like overly bright faces and if the Longines is this much brighter in person then I think the ML will be brighter than I want. I am not looking for something flashy which screams look at my watch and I think the pattern on the Longines' face helps subdue it a little in that respect.

still open to any other suggestions though. Thanks again for the advice

·
Registered
3,096 Posts
I think the ML is a "nicer" timepiece but I prefer the Longines in this instance

·
Registered
10,872 Posts
Here is the EPOS model
001.JPG
It's an excellent watch, I think both are equal in quality.

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
Tough, really tough. This is the hardest h2h (for me, at least) in a long time. They are relatively close in features and pricing.

Longines. The master collection is great, though a tad busy for the Bauhaus crowd (lol), and just appeals more. But I like that kind of busy. For me, the ML is equally busy but somehow seems cleaner. Yet, and yet, I still like the Longines.

·
Registered
28,501 Posts
I prefer the looks of the Maurice Lacroix. While I appreciate Longines, that dial is too cluttered for my liking. Eterna seems to offer something a bit like that as well.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts