WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys,

As the title says, i need a durable watch for under $50. I run a bike shop during the sumer, so I'm prity tough on my watches. i would like something that i can just throw on a NATO and not care, but still have it nice enough to wear casually (with chino shorts, and a linen shirt). here is the catch. I hate the look of G-Shocks, and the weekender is too plain for my tastes (if there is a version with date i would be willing to try it). i was thinking about a seiko 5 SNK, but about 50% of my job is mountai biking, so idk how well it would hold up. I'm open to any sugestions, Chinese mechanicals included :)

thanks in advance,
-esk :)

·
Registered
2,713 Posts
If you can spend another $15-$20 I highly recommend getting a Vostok Amphibia. The flat case against the lugs is practically made for a nato. It can take a serious beating (I mountainbike and jog in mine), and it's 200m water resistant. You can't ask for a much better watch in it's price range. Plus the assortment of dial type and colors is endless.

(These photos are not mine, all were found through a google search)
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1368667811.323337.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1368667829.291243.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1368667843.289701.jpg

·
Registered
4,767 Posts
If you can spend another $15-$20 I highly recommend getting a Vostok Amphibia. The flat case against the lugs is practically made for a nato. It can take a serious beating (I mountainbike and jog in mine), and it's 200m water resistant. You can't ask for a much better watch in it's price range. Plus the assortment of dial type and colors is endless.

(These photos are not mine, all were found through a google search)
View attachment 1086142
View attachment 1086143
View attachment 1086144
+1. I am VERY tough on my watches. I chose a Vostok amphibia for the tough mudder race, and it took it easily. I also mountain bike, scuba dive, run, etc, etc and this automatic takes a beating.

However, nothing compares to a good quartz for accuracy and shock resistance. I just think the Russian watch is very unique, and most people will give it a second look because they are unsure what make it is...

·
Registered
4,767 Posts
.....but it is not under $50 as the thread requests. Even my shark quartz was more than 50!

·
Registered
5,400 Posts
The Vostok Komandirskie is a decent choice, it is a hand wind mechanical instead of an automatic like the Amphibia, but it is cheaper (around $40-50)! Very durable as well, I can't tell you how many times I have smacked this watch around (oh ya, the case it made of brass, so the shiny plating may wear off over time, but so far I have yet to put a ding on it!)

20130503_083936.jpg

Although, the Amphibias are more waterproof (if you think you may be swimming with it on), and automatic so you don't need to wind it.
20130514_184541.jpg
More expensive though, they run anywhere from $75-90 depending on the model

·
Registered
4,160 Posts
It took me a while before I came around, but after braking many bracelets, shattering crystals, and horribly stained NATO straps, I finally bought a G-Shock. I love it.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
WOW! so many more responses then i though i would get :)... ty for all your help thus far :)

Does it have to be mechanical? I have a 30 lap Ironman that I love and isn't nearly as hideous as my G's
no it doesn't, but mechanical is definitely a bonus :)

That is definately an option, but for around $75 i would probably just get this, since i have been drooling over it for a while now anyways :p
1089edda4477bd7eddb5808950820214.image.150x99.jpg

The Vostok Komandirskie is a decent choice, it is a hand wind mechanical instead of an automatic like the Amphibia, but it is cheaper (around $40-50)! Very durable as well, I can't tell you how many times I have smacked this watch around (oh ya, the case it made of brass, so the shiny plating may wear off over time, but so far I have yet to put a ding on it!)
Although, the Amphibias are more waterproof (if you think you may be swimming with it on), and automatic so you don't need to wind it.

More expensive though, they run anywhere from $75-90 depending on the model
I will look into those... hand wind doesn't bug me in the slightest, but i would like to be able to go swimming with it (i have a watch i use fordiving already though. i just dont wear it else where cause its hideous :p)

oops, just saw your comment about the Weekenders. Casio Waveceptors are pretty rugged and not a gaudy as G-Shocks (i am a happy g-shock owner):

example Casio Men's WV58A-1AVCR Waveceptor Atomic Digital Watch: Watches: Amazon.com
unfortunately im only realy only looking for analog (ill put that into the OP)

For sale on amazon right now for 49.93 USD. Its not the only watch with digital that i like.
(not my pictures)
that is suprisingly good looking. i have also only seen good reviews from my 5 min google search just now :p()

Timex Camper?
Timex Expedition series, hands down. I'm partial to this model, but there are a couple of different cases and dials to choose from if you search around.
i have no idea what it is about timex watches, but they just feel so plain to me :(

Hi there,
Assuming quartz is still in the mix, what about the Casio MDV106? They seem to be well liked around here and it's in your price range. Would look good on a NATO strap and should be as durable as any other quartz watch in that price.

Casio Men's MDV106-1A Black Analog Anti Reverse Bezel Watch:Amazon:Watches

Good luck with the search.

Jeff
cassio is now definitely on my research list :)

that is actualy prity well executed... tbh, i didn't expect to find nice looking watches for under $50 :p

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
look good. what watch is that?
40mm parnis quartz chrono... I think they are an older model, so I'm having a decent bit of trouble finding them in stock, but parniswatch.com has them I believe... $85 ea, but its a beautiful watch IMO, and would fill a niche I don't yet have :p

·
Registered
2,289 Posts
Check out rotary it has the navitimer look like the parnis for $65 usually

Sent from my Potato using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 32 Posts