WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 20 of 96 Posts

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been tempted by both of these high-end, beautiful ( I think ), blue dialed watches for some time
Either represents a significant watch investment for me, as good pre-owned examples of either will cost over $7,000, a difficult purchase to rationalize for somebody whose wrist will never see the inside of any office again, and whose typical outside the house attire is either shorts or pants with an elastic waist band
Fortunately I own some watches I can sell or trade to get me over that hump.

I think both are appealing choices. Both can be had in a case size that represents my personal upper limit on my 71/2" wrist ( 42mm ), and I think both look great with a blue dial.

Any facts or opinions from anybody willing to chime in are greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Watch Analog watch Silver Clock Rectangle

Watch Analog watch Clock Watch accessory Font

Attachments

·
Premium Member
9,364 Posts
JLC

·
Registered
5,869 Posts
I have been tempted by both of these high-end, beautiful ( I think ), blue dialed watches for some time
Either represents a significant watch investment for me, as good pre-owned examples of either will cost over $7,000, a difficult purchase to rationalize for somebody whose wrist will never see the inside of any office again, and whose typical outside the house attire is either shorts or pants with an elastic waist band
Fortunately I own some watches I can sell or trade to get me over that hump.

I think both are appealing choices. Both can be had in a case size that represents my personal upper limit on my 71/2" wrist ( 42mm ), and I think both look great with a blue dial.

Any facts or opinions from anybody willing to chime in are greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

View attachment 16641313

View attachment 16641315
Of those two, definitely the JLC, although I'm not a particular fan of it. That Panerai is just the least interesting one I've ever seen. Personally I'm really turned off by the fact that the JLC isn't really a dive watch, it's a dive "style" watch. You can't really dive with it, so.....what's the point? I get that people buy a Range Rover and never take them on anything more challenging than a gravel driveway, but part of the appeal of them is still that they CAN do serious off-roading, even if 99% of owners never actually do.

The JLC on the other hand is an incredibly high priced faux-diver, and the initial ones leaked. Not exactly confidence inspiring.

If it were my money, it'd be between a Glashutte Original SeaQ, and a Panerai Mediterraneo.

·
Registered
14,813 Posts
JLC.

BUT, that Panerai is very interesting. It's so far out of their usual wheelhouse it's intriguing. However, it just doesn't hold up against the JLC.

·
Registered
1,518 Posts

·
Registered
474 Posts
JLC > Panerai any day of the week for me. GO SeaQ is a serious contender as well, particularly the Panorama Date version with the sapphire case back.

·
Registered
3,659 Posts
I'm just piling on at this point, but the Polaris is the clear winner for me, too. I would've bought one long ago if not for the crown that controls the internal bezel. It spins freely and doesn't lock down. I've experienced that on cheap Seikos in the past and the random alignment of the bezel drove me nuts.

The Panerai does not appeal to me at all.

1 - 20 of 96 Posts