WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,809 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Need help from you guys because I'm new to this "nice" watch thing.

A little background: this is my first real automatic purchase. And my first $500+ watch purchase. I've already purchased an Aquaracer (WAB2010) but have yet to take shipment. I'm also in the market for a TT1 -- and I'll sell the one I choose not to keep.

My question is, in your opinion, which one is better? Consider everything from styling to which has superior movement or features. Also understand that there's about a $200 price difference for 2nd hand TT1s vs the Aquaracer.

The price difference for me isn't a deal breaker at all but should be considered.

Any input would be greatly appreciated, including some comparisons in the movement used in each.

·
Registered
621 Posts
Owned both, Oris was built like a tank.
Oris for me too, even though I still have
the Tag. I had earlier models of both, I believe
both of mine used the 2824-2.

·
Registered
1,809 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Owned both, Oris was built like a tank.
Oris for me too, even though I still have
the Tag.
What made you keep the tag and get rid of the Oris?

·
Registered
13,407 Posts
The movement is the same in both more or less.
Get the one you like best.

·
Registered
621 Posts
I didn't own them at the same time. The Tag came long
after. Side by side, you will see the difference. The only
thing I didn't like about the Oris was the limited strap
options. Drove me nuts. I do like my wab 2010, just not
more than the Oris. Both good choices by the way.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Oris...

It's shinier.

·
Registered
6,763 Posts
Oris has solid rep. (So does Tag.)

·
Registered
800 Posts
Oris has a more substantial, chunkier feel. More affordable pricing.

Tag has a more classic dive watch design. Also, it's more of a recognized status symbol, and mainstream brand.

Both are great quality watches. Just depends on what your looking for.

·
Banned
668 Posts
tag. I sold one for 700 a few weeks ago. What was I thinking? It was so nice, looked like the Sea Master and I think will keep the value for a long time. Bezel scratches easier than I liked but hey

·
Registered
4,956 Posts
I prefer the TT1 because:

1. It's a beautiful, unique, soon to be discontinued, watch. Take a look at the Aquis and you'll see a bleak future for Oris divers.

2. You can get an aftermarket ceramic bezel insert for scratch resistance. The Rolex Submariner insert actually fits the Oris and they can be as cheap as $20 on eBay.

The Aquaracer is nice too and more people will recognise it, but I like wearing something that a little less common.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Oris without a question... Oris fit and finish is high above it's price point. I like vintage Heuer's. I have not been that impressed with what TAG did to an iconic brand. The TAG chrono's are nice.. I especially like the Caliber 16. But there's no way I'd take an Aquaracer over an Oris diver.

·
Registered
2,435 Posts
No one seems to have mentioned what, to me, is a huge deciding factor, Oris's lugs. I would choose the Oris any day of the week based on styling and excellent build quality but the lugs make it a deal breaker. You can only use the factory bracelet or an Oris rubber strap, no leather, no mesh, no Isofrane, etc. I enjoy changing out straps to change the look of a watch. It also keeps me from getting tired of one too quickly.

For that reason alone, I would choose the TAG. Other options exist but the OP is choosing between these two only...

RS

PS. This is my post of the beast, #666. Awesome!

·
Registered
1,809 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I was a little frustrated when I read up on the bracelet/strap situation with Oris. I'm not one to swap out a lot of different straps, so that wasn't AS big of a deal for me. And I've also located a reasonably priced bracelet for the TT1 I have coming. At least this way it will be an apples to apples comparison.

That being said, if I ever needed to replace that bracelet, I may be in trouble. Because they are pretty expensive on the ol ebay.

No one seems to have mentioned what, to me, is a huge deciding factor, Oris's lugs. I would choose the Oris any day of the week based on styling and excellent build quality but the lugs make it a deal breaker. You can only use the factory bracelet or an Oris rubber strap, no leather, no mesh, no Isofrane, etc. I enjoy changing out straps to change the look of a watch. It also keeps me from getting tired of one too quickly.

For that reason alone, I would choose the TAG. Other options exist but the OP is choosing between these two only...

RS

PS. This is my post of the beast, #666. Awesome!

·
Registered
5,038 Posts
I own both watches, a blue WAB2010 and a full lume dial Oris Divers Date. Given the choice I'd prefer to keep both since I think the TAG is about the best looking blue diver available in the $1000 range (give or take a few hundred). However, if I could only keep one I'd choose the Oris because it's more unique.

By the way, you can find custom made leather straps for TT1s. I ordered one from Jacob Straps in Spain but seriously considered several others. This is my strap (cost about $90 USD):

Coris_Hilo_Rojo.JPG

For something more offbeat I considered this from Combat Straps:

Combat-Straps.jpg

I wish I could show a picture of the Jacob strap actually attached to my Oris, but almost everything I own is trapped in a moving POD while I wait for a house to close so my Oris and strap are with me, but the OEM buckle and screw bars are an hour away (the watch was sent without the original strap to IWW so the case could be bead blasted, I ordered the strap and got the watch back after I moved).

·
Registered
4,956 Posts
How can you not like the stock bracelet? It's the only thing that actually matches the watch. Any strap (even the stock rubber) seems out of place on these divers. For me, the lugs are a non-issue - I own 2 Oris divers w/ bracelet.

·
Registered
623 Posts
Oris for me. I have an older Tag 2000 and have looked at the aquaracers up close and there is no contest. The integrated strap is a necessary evil; I can't see how 'orthodox' lugs could accommodate the unique case shape which is one of it's most appealing features. Both the strap and the bracelet are first rate as well - once you have both, there's not a lot more required, though there are third party straps available on ebay and plenty people get leather ones made.

Finally, my Oris is for me a real tool watch. I'm not a diver, but I wear it hill walking, scrambling, in the water, doing heavy work and so on, where I'd never wear my omegas and indeed my tag. On the rubber especially - which removes most of the scratchable surfaces - it's just a watch I'd wear anywhere. And yet on the bracelet it can be worn with a suit, well if you go for the 44mm anyway.

If you are gonna plump for it then as above, get in before the TTs disappear. The Aquis is nice but far far less unique than the TT1.

·
Registered
14,861 Posts
Over those two choices, I'd take the TAG Heuer.

The Oris is chunkier and more of a tool watch. That's great if that's what you want. But chunky often translates into heavy. Another issue is that chunky watches tend to be tall on the wrist. I prefer an all-around dive watch that can be used for swimming (or diving as well) and can do double duty with a suit & tie under all but the absolute most formal of occasions. Honestly, I've found few divers that don't look silly with a suit. The Orient black Mako with the right strap would be one of those few. That particular Aquaracer would qualify as well.

If you want a nice all-around dive model, go with the TAG.

If you prefer more of a tool watch, go with the Oris.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts