WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As we were going through my grandfathers things we found these watches that were apparently his mothers before she died. I haven't been able to find any information on either of them. if someone could give me some information of them and possibly their worth I would greatly appreciate it! 20180203_200854.jpg 20180203_200829.jpg 20180203_200837.jpg 20180203_200715.jpg 20180203_200720.jpg 20180203_200750.jpg

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
But one of the watches as a brand, its fine if their not worth much because I think they are pretty, however I'm mainly looking for information on it

·
Registered
36,311 Posts
But one of the watches as a brand, its fine if their not worth much because I think they are pretty, however I'm mainly looking for information on it
Unknown brands, which why you get nada when googling them.

Unfortunately, the gold is plated base metal, and if you're lucky that metal is brass and not pot metal.

If they are actually worn on the wrist, the plating wears off and they'll look very yucky.

Hopefully the old batteries inside have not leaked.

Enjoy them as family history.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Sorry, but the first one having a quartz movement, its impossible that it belonged to your grandfathers mother

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
The first watch, the Lucien Piccard is probably 1980s/90s, it may have originally retailed for three figures but now the value is low unless it is solid gold? Judging by the steel back on the watch then this is probably not so but worth checking for assay marks (which may be inside the watch). The second smaller watch is a ladies size and looks to be late 1960s, early 1970s, again there is no real value in this piece apart from sentimental.

·
Registered
3,611 Posts
Sorry to give you some unpleasant information about your family heritage (and as such, it has a value for you).

It's one of these watch brands, where old Swiss brand names are used to bolster around with a long history (1923 in this case). But any Swiss watchmaker would be have to commit suicide when caught producing such a watch.

They are fashion watches with Japanese movements and mass-produced Chinese mechanical movements with a lot of bric-a-brac around, making them look pretty.

They can be found in the lowest segment of watches, and I don't know where the new ones on the market come from, offered on the Internet come from nowadays, as ...

'Lucien Piccard' had filed for chapter 11 bankruptcy in Florida in 2010

July 20, 2010
Lucien Piccard Inc. and affiliated companies LP Watch Group and Charles Winston Luxury Group filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy protection in Florida on July 14. Lucien Piccard was founded in Switzerland in 1923. In recent years, the Hollywood, Florida-based LP Watch Group launched new brands LP Italy, LP Swiss, and DuFonte by Lucien Piccard etc. etc. etc.
Unquote

Perhaps they are meanwhile under new ownership, or someone else works under this name or not.

To sum up: Cheap when new, worthless when used.

But this is in no way a strictly negative comment. The watches, especially the quartz type with the Japanese movements, run as precise as a quartz watch should, and there a lots of people out there who expect from a watch no more than to show the time and think that one or two of them with a pretty look are enough and rather spend their money on other things, unlike hard-core collectors which must have dozens of them, preferable mechanical and in the upper price range.

I guess there are people out there who will say 'how nice, beautiful!', and others can't bring out a work, because they are just about to ... (I spare me this comment).

1 - 8 of 8 Posts