WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
868 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I really like Seiko watches and have been trying in vain to comprehend the different lines they create. I'm sure someone here can do it, and I apologize if this topic has been beaten to death in previous posts. I went on the Japan Seiko website and they display the different lines such as the Grand Seiko, Galante, Credor, etc. I'm assuming those are the top lines they create. But are the others such as Prospex, Dolce, Criteria etc are a lower quality than the aforementioned? Also where does the Alpinist fit into all of these? So confusing.....

·
Banned
8,921 Posts
I really like Seiko watches and have been trying in vain to comprehend the different lines they create. I'm sure someone here can do it, and I apologize if this topic has been beaten to death in previous posts. I went on the Japan Seiko website and they display the different lines such as the Grand Seiko, Galante, Credor, etc. I'm assuming those are the top lines they create. But are the others such as Prospex, Dolce, Criteria etc are a lower quality than the aforementioned? Also where does the Alpinist fit into all of these? So confusing.....
As with most things that we buy; price is your best guide when it comes to judging quality. Seiko makes watches that start around $50 and then go all the way above $10K for some of the Credors.
The differences in mechanical quality are much much smaller than the prices would lead one to believe.
That leaves fit, finish and functionality to take up most of the price differences.
Seiko makes thousands of models and many of the watches in the different lines you've found; actually cross in price.

Not sure which line the Alpinist might best belong to but it is a low to mid tier watch in today's line up; assuming you mean the current offering.

Reactions: ayhc

·
Registered
8,173 Posts
The Alpinist and other SARBs belong to the "Mechanical" series.

·
Registered
107 Posts
I'm afraid this post might merely compound the OP's confusion, rather than dispel it...

Seiko's Japanese lineup reminds me of the home-market lineups of various Japanese carmakers - there are numerous product lines, many of them overlapping in terms of price and target market.

Premium watches: Grand Seiko is the more stylistically conservative line, with Credor and Galante catering to those who want a dressier / more complicated / more casual watch. So far, so straightforward.

The "regular" lineup is where things get complicated:

- The Prospex line is made up of high-end watches for professional use, e.g. the Spring Drive GMT MarineMaster and LandMaster use the 5R66 movement, which is functionally (but not aesthetically) identical to the GS 9R66 movement

- The Astron, Brightz, Ananta and Prospex lines are (on the whole) high-end watches

- The Dolce & Exceline lines appear to be mid-to-high-end his-and-hers dress watches (higher-end models boast radio time synchronisation and solar cells)

- The Criteria line is made up of low-end solar-powered watches

- The Presage line is made up of dress mechanical watches, mainly at the low end (4R movements) but with some newer, mid-to-high-end models (6R movements)

- The Mechanical line spans the gamut from the low-end Seiko 5s through to the mid-range SARBs (including the Alpinist models) and higher-end models using the 6R2x and 4S36 movements

The upshot is that, at any particular price bracket, there will be watches from multiple product lines, some of which may even be targeting the same audience (e.g. the Presage and Mechanical lines).

·
Registered
2,376 Posts
What i hate about Seiko is that they don't list ANY of the Seiko 5, Seiko Monsters, Seiko Alpinists, NOTHING of this is listed on their webpage (for example Seiko UK). And thats just plain dumb when you have to chase some nice Seiko 5 model on all pages but official vendor page. WHY!? It's stupid. Like they are ashamed of making them, yet they are probaly generating the biggest income for them. And a lot of them are really nice watches. I see nothing wrong by offering entire range of models from super expensive GrandSeiko's down to most basic entry Seiko 5's. You can clearly indicate on the webpage that they are entry models. But they isntead don't list them at all. Only way to even find them is to look at dedicated watch shops or Amazon. And even then you never know what nice watch you will miss because they simply don't sell it, but it does exist.

·
Registered
868 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Took some time off from this post, but I thank you all, especially the great post from ayhc! That cleared up a lot about the lines. I've always been so confused over them and Seiko is extremely prodigious at filling each.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts