WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi watch lovers! I'm ready to make my first big watch purchase, I'm hoping you guys with more experience can lead me in the right direction, I've only looked at a few brands, but I want to see what's out there :)

1) This is the first time I've decided to spend this much money on a watch
2) I only want to purchase from an AD (I live in Australia, (most gray market dealers are American) just to avoid any hassles for repairs and problems
3) I am willing to call ADs in the US to find out if they are willing to ship to Australia, as most ADs here I've been to are still signifiantly much more than some of the ADs prices I've seen in the US and Canada.
4) The price above is for ONE watch, I do not need anymore watches, and does not include shipping, duties and taxes into Australia
5) I'd perfer a chronograph but some other cool movement would suffice (like moon phase etc)
6) Something that can be dressed up with a dress shirt and pants or dressed down with jeans and sneakers
7) No rubber straps, I own one watch with a rubber strap, although it suits the watch, I much perfer steel or leather
8) Will most likely be worn daily and maybe alternate with Fraser Time Companies Mechanical.
9) I'm not into bulky bezels, and I don't mind divers with clean bezels, I'm just not in love with divers.
10) I'm in my mid-late 20s, but would like to keep this watch for a long time like I have with all my other watches
11) I perfer larger diameter watches over smaller ones basically all the watches I wear right now are 42-45mm

Thanks for all your help!

·
Registered
10,228 Posts
The best mechanical chronograph in your price range is definitely the Ananta Chronograph. Very cool, very unique, great in house movement.

I think it's $2400 ish after discount though, a little more than you were looking for.
seiko-ananta-mechanical-gmt-chronograph-5.jpg

·
Registered
4,155 Posts
Auto chrono from AD being a requirement, I would look at Hamilton, Tissot, Longines and maybe swiss army. Longines has the solid Hydroconquest auto chrono for under 2 grand, and Hamilton has quite a few options that will fall under 2k.

·
Registered
7,751 Posts
Seiko Ananta and Brightz Phoenix chronographs using the cal. 8R28 are excellent suggestions. Another one you might want to consider is the new cal. L688 Longines column-wheel chronograph ...

(borrowed image)

Between $2100-$2300 after an AD discount.

Reactions: Chuck P

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

·
Registered
32 Posts
I think Define Watches has a great selection of mostly German brands - they are local to you (at least as far as country goes) at definewatches.com.au.

They also have a good listing of watches between $1000 and $2000 for your reference.

Good luck!

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I think Define Watches has a great selection of mostly German brands - they are local to you (at least as far as country goes) at definewatches.com.au.

They also have a good listing of watches between $1000 and $2000 for your reference.

Good luck!
Man I wish I could afford those Armin Storm one week watches! but at 30K that's WAY out of my price range!

thanks for the website!

·
Registered
102 Posts
I haven't looked through these links, but I would take a good look at Tissot and Oris. The Oris TT3 is made of titanium and has one of the most comfortable bracelets I've ever tried. And although it's not a mechanical, you might also consider a Citizen Signature watch (they are beautiful). I was given a Citizen when I turned 20 and it has served me well with zero issues in 20 years.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Topper Jewelers has a Longines Master Collection 40MM chronograph on clearance. It has the 2894 movement, is a fantastically finished watch, and is never going to go out of style.

·
Registered
2,435 Posts
Doxa makes a very nice driver's chrono, the Ultraspeed, that is in your budget. At 44mm it meets your size requirement and is also versatile enough to be worn with many styles of clothing. No bezel. It's a value at the sale price of $1990. Full retail is $3490.

ultraspeed_04.jpg

It may too far over budget but Doxa has just announced a new T-Graph. The past T-Graphs both vintage and re-issue have been very successful and are highly sought after. They rarely come up for sale. To me, that says something. The new one is based on the 4000T case and bracelet so it will definitely meet your requirement for size. The black Sharkhunter model should do well with a dress shirt or jeans. It will also be available with a sapphire bezel but that may not be a good look for you if you don't care for divers. It may be worth a look.

RS

Pic credit to Doxa.

426093_314956405226091_100001352032669_779566_2002255435_n.jpg

·
Registered
994 Posts
I like the Longines column wheel chrono mentioned earlier. I'd add the Damasko DC 56 to the list as well. It's only 40mm, but it has no bezel and being medium sized will help if you wear it with shirtsleeves. I like the Seiko options but they are quite large. You have a stated preference for large watches so maybe this will be a positive characteristic for you. Still, they are tallish and the bezel has an overhanging protrusion that looks like it'd be a shirt cuff destroyer.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Hey Daemos.

Your quest inspired me to progress from WUS lurker tofull-on member, hence you’ll notice this is my first post. I’m a fellowAustralian and can only lament at the horrific mark-up we pay for watchescompared to our American and European counterparts. What makes it all the worseis the strength of the dollar at the moment, meaning importing a watch from acrossthe water is even more attractive. As your search is similar to one I undertooka few months back, I thought I’d share.

I was looking to something very similar to what you’re afterwith one (significant) difference; I wasn’t interested in a chrono. I like aless cluttered face on my watches and therefore it’s only a rare chronographthat really catches my eye (example: the Baume and Mercier Capeland). As I’msure you’ve experienced, walking into an AD to purchase here domestically meansthat you literally get half the watch that you’d buy from overseas. My bestexample of this was a recent purchase of a Breitling Superocean Heritage 46which cost me $2300 from an AD in Denmark while the same watch was quoted at$5000 here in Melbourne.

Anyway, I ended up tracking down my grail daily-wear watch,a Fortis B-42 Cosmonauts, for around $1200 – from a German AD. I love the fitand size of this watch (deceptively listed at 42mm), it’s general rough andtumble appeared (ie. unlike the Breitling I’ve got no concerns wearing it inbasically any situation) and that it effortlessly transitions between somewhatclassy (on leather or bracelet) to weekend active (nato). I love this watch.

Basically, this was a long-winded post to suggest to youthat it could be good to chase up some European ADs, as our dollar isabsolutely killing the euro at the moment due to the crisis that’s occurring inthat zone. One of the great things you may find (as I did) is the Ebay store ofa bricks and mortar European AD, meaning you have the flexibility and securityof purchasing from an overseas AD via Paypal, which is great. One of thehassles of European purchases is that many prefer wire transfer, which can be apain in the ass, especially due to fees etc. I had to brave German-languageEbay.de, but it was totally worth it.

On the actual watch-selection front, take a look at some ofthe Fortis models – some of their chronographs look stunning. Good luck!

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
Hey Daemos.

Your quest inspired me to progress from WUS lurker tofull-on member, hence you’ll notice this is my first post. I’m a fellowAustralian and can only lament at the horrific mark-up we pay for watchescompared to our American and European counterparts. What makes it all the worseis the strength of the dollar at the moment, meaning importing a watch from acrossthe water is even more attractive. As your search is similar to one I undertooka few months back, I thought I’d share.

I was looking to something very similar to what you’re afterwith one (significant) difference; I wasn’t interested in a chrono. I like aless cluttered face on my watches and therefore it’s only a rare chronographthat really catches my eye (example: the Baume and Mercier Capeland). As I’msure you’ve experienced, walking into an AD to purchase here domestically meansthat you literally get half the watch that you’d buy from overseas. My bestexample of this was a recent purchase of a Breitling Superocean Heritage 46which cost me $2300 from an AD in Denmark while the same watch was quoted at$5000 here in Melbourne.

Anyway, I ended up tracking down my grail daily-wear watch,a Fortis B-42 Cosmonauts, for around $1200 – from a German AD. I love the fitand size of this watch (deceptively listed at 42mm), it’s general rough andtumble appeared (ie. unlike the Breitling I’ve got no concerns wearing it inbasically any situation) and that it effortlessly transitions between somewhatclassy (on leather or bracelet) to weekend active (nato). I love this watch.

Basically, this was a long-winded post to suggest to youthat it could be good to chase up some European ADs, as our dollar isabsolutely killing the euro at the moment due to the crisis that’s occurring inthat zone. One of the great things you may find (as I did) is the Ebay store ofa bricks and mortar European AD, meaning you have the flexibility and securityof purchasing from an overseas AD via Paypal, which is great. One of thehassles of European purchases is that many prefer wire transfer, which can be apain in the ass, especially due to fees etc. I had to brave German-languageEbay.de, but it was totally worth it.

On the actual watch-selection front, take a look at some ofthe Fortis models – some of their chronographs look stunning. Good luck!
Everything in Australia is expensive! I moved here from Canada a few years ago, I only go into stores to look at things in person, but if it's reasonable/possible I buy online. I could care less about retailers in Australia going out of business because the cost of their products is sometimes triple of what can be bought overseas and online.

Even in Canada, it was cheaper to buy online from the US (even though still cheaper than Aus), or even drive down to the US for a big shop and drive back, and we had to pay gst/pst/duty on all our purchased goods...this has changed though and Canadian retailers are starting to price MUCH better where for the most part it's not even worth it to buy online at US shops anymore. Really the only things the retailers now can rip us off on are larger items like Autmobiles (don't get me started on this one) TVs, furnature, and appliances.

Retailers use the GST and shipping as excuses to why their prices are so high...which is sad, I've purchased video games, clothes, shoes, pens, watches online, and I usually save almost 50% even if you take into account shipping costs! Some things I save even more than 50% and it can end up being more like 75% (such as brand name stuff like nike, adidas, merrel etc...not even high end stuff just regular stuff)

I could rant all day long about the horrific prices people pay for things they could get for the fraction of the price online, yet I know tons of aussies who would rather pay triple the price to get it "right now" but get pissed off when 2 days later I get the EXACT same thing but paid a small fraction of the price.

Hell, if you even wanted...and you are not in a rush, stuff like common things (well I think) around the garage like socket sets, wrenches, impact guns etc...you could get it shipped from an EU or American retailer (with a step up voltage transformer) have them ship it by sea (which is dirt cheap) and it'll get here in like 3-4 months but seeing the prices here you'd only pay like a 1/4-1/3 of what you would pay to buy them here.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts