WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for a Chinese/Asian replacement for a Rolex 1570. Gotta match in dimensions ,etc dial feet as well would be a huge plus ! Quartz would be ok -actually more than ok -too ! I know its almost sacrilegious -but I don't care ! Help!

·
Mod. Russian, China Mech.
19,622 Posts
Looking for a Chinese/Asian replacement for a Rolex 1570. Gotta match in dimensions ,etc dial feet as well would be a huge plus ! Quartz would be ok -actually more than ok -too ! I know its almost sacrilegious -but I don't care ! Help!
I'll start with a gentle reminder that we don't do fakes on this or any other Watchuseek forum ;-)

So in what way were you wanting a "replacement"? Just external dimensions, or does the case need to fit a Rolex movement? And will this watch be required to have similar water-resistance and general durability as the Rolex?

I doubt that any Chinese manufacturer would ever bother to match dial feet, stem height or hand sizes with Rolex because Rolex are not a generic movement manufacturer like Miyota, ETA or Seiko/TMI so they're not competitors.

·
Registered
8,842 Posts
If you have a case and want to fit a movement, measure the case dimensions and look on the net. All the information is there, if I can find it, so could you.

Dimensions needed:

- Stem height required: distance from where the dial seats to center of stem hole, minus thickness of dial (approx. 0.4 mm)

- Diameter of movement required: inside diameter of the case, this can be made smaller with case rings.

- Thickness of movement required: distance from dial seat face to inside of case back minus dial thickness and a half millimeter for clearance.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have an old datejust that the movement was shot. Shot being defined as It cost more for parts than it was worth. So I figured it would be a simple thing to just replace it I was wrong ! I was hoping for a simple order xx-xxxx form yyyy.com . LOL ! For the record, its mine ,its genuine, I would just as soon pop in a nice quartz movement. More accurate and less headaches ! I do not view Rolex any different than Timex. Its a watch not a religious artifact ! Sorry for the rant-but this project frustrates me !

·
Registered
1,653 Posts
Actually a Chinese movement might not be the way to go. There are are a large number of vintage movements that are salvaged from gold watches that have been sold for scrap. Also Rolex at the time wasn't as proprietary as they are now. I would start in Ranfft's Pink Pages http://www.ranfft.de/cgi-bin/bidfun-db.cgi?10&ranfft&&2uswk& after you identify movements that will work then search on ebay.

·
Registered
2,240 Posts
There are 4 or 5 1570 movements on ePay right now... out of curiosity, and since I know nothing about Rolei's in general, were their movements proprietary designs or ETA-based?

Clair

·
Registered
8,842 Posts
There are 4 or 5 1570 movements on ePay right now... out of curiosity, and since I know nothing about Rolei's in general, were their movements proprietary designs or ETA-based?

Clair
The Rolex movements (at least the time only ones) were Rolex designs.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
This is going to be more interesting as time goes by, since Rolex decided to stop supporting the older movements/models. ! I get so frustrated w this I am tempted to just throw in a quartz movement- If i could figure out which one would work ! LOL

·
Mod. Russian, China Mech.
19,622 Posts
This is going to be more interesting as time goes by, since Rolex decided to stop supporting the older movements/models. ! I get so frustrated w this I am tempted to just throw in a quartz movement- If i could figure out which one would work ! LOL
Good luck! Rolex are the kind of company who would invent their own units of measure if they thought it would help keep their product more exclusive.

I would advise seeking the assistance of an experienced watchmaker for a project like this. It may be that you can finagle the stem to dial distance somehow, but still need to replace the hands. Plenty of Rolex-style hands to fit all kinds of movements, but then you have the fun of matching lume colour with the dial. This is where somebody in the trade who knows all the tricks can save you a lot of time nd money.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
LOL! I couldn't agree more ! Lets make it exclusive(expensive) then the public will think that is a superior product ! Especially if we spend millions of (their)dollars on advertising (aka-putting lipstick on a pig) and give them away by the boat loads to every 1st,2nd and third rate athlete/actor/and celebrity on the planet ! P.T. Barnum would be proud !

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.