WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I'm also posting this in the Public Forum.

I've been bitten by the vintage bug and would like to add one or two to my collection. There are tons of great watches out there I would be happy strapping to my wrist, but I am trying to be selective in order to avoid adding another 15 or 20 dozen watches to the collection. I've scoured many a forum and looked at many a picture to get an idea of what I want, but I'm having difficulty when it comes to finding specific information.

What I want is a 1970 (birth year) Omega Seamaster, Constellation or De Ville, or a Longines Flagship or Admiral. Preferably, the watch would be white gold or stainless steel (I'm not a big fan of bright yellow gold, but something more subdued would work) and would have a seconds subdial. Below are pictures of what I have in mind, style-wise. Square and rectangular watches are ok, but round is preferred. Also, I'm not married to an Omega or Longines but I've seen enough examples of these to know that I like them. Feel free to recommend models from Tissot, Hamilton or similar makers and models.

m5_R-i4dTJT5P_wCjQUwuBA.jpg mNwb0l_28uF-D7dM_90dDsQ.jpg mhm4wQljyglMIJAe7DNkZnQ.jpg m0e4voghesL-SXmMyqMnGJA.jpg mfruMEzcI_CJN_idvwLrqcw.jpg

I've spent countless hours scrolling through pages on Ebay, and most of it has been a waste of time. This is largely due to my not know a damn thing about vintage watches. I know squat about authenticity, how to date the watches, whether the watch has been refurbished/rebuilt with new parts, or whether or not the deal/dealer is shady or honorable. While I would love someone to simply find the me the watch I'm looking for, I realize that this isn't how the game works; it's not very fun, either. What I'm asking for is advice as to where to go to find more and better information. Are there particular books I should read or other websites I should visit? I need help finding info, so please help find the best sources.

Thanks in advance for any help.

-hayday

·
Zenith Forum Co-moderator
19,132 Posts
Some nice choices there - but as you noted, also some of the most faked, redialled and parts-mixed watches on the market! I am afraid there is no easy way: you will have to learn how to weed out the bad ones yourself (or pay a very hefty premium by buying one from an auction at a very reputable auction house where authenticity is guaranteed). Just sticking around this forum and reading all the posts on "Is this old Omega/Longines real?" for a while will get you quite far along the way.

Hartmut Richter

·
Registered
336 Posts
While I would love someone to simply find the me the watch I'm looking for, I realize that this isn't how the game works; it's not very fun, either.
Hi, if you do want someone to find you a piece, there are people who will do this...The Tailored Watch (never used them, no affiliation).
But my recommendation would be to start with a lesser known brand, which is therefore less likely to be faked. If you like Longines, you can't go past Wittnauer, who basically had an arrangement with longines to use the wittnauer name on their watches for the american market.
of course you can post examples of watches you are looking at in this forum and get opinions before buying.
good luck
Ben.

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The problem is that I see watches like the ones below, and think, "holy s**t, that is gorgeous!" and have to find some way to resist temptation. Fortunately, I know that I know next to nothing about them, and while buying one of these watches would certainly scratch an itch, it would also be a bit of a disappointment.

$_103.JPG $T2eC16dHJGYFFkw29e)nBSDWwBR16!~~60_103.JPG

-hayday

·
Registered
317 Posts
Might help a bit, a great resource for Constellation info: Omega Constellation Collectors

I've got me a 1970 Omega Constellation. Its called the "C-shape" case, and afaik was the first watch Genta designed with the iconic integrated bracelet setup. I know, giving you more options is probably the last thing you need at the moment, lol!

·
Registered
3,657 Posts
If you're interested in vintage Omega and Longines, head over to Omega Forums.net. Some of the craziest, most knowledge guys about those two brands hang out over there.

·
Registered
153 Posts
That first Omega looks like it was lettered by hand. The second is small but it looks as bad. An Omega can be a great choice but also be very careful when buying. You'll not find Hamilton's generally that aren't right. They don't seem to be butchered or faked very much. Lower priced than an Omega but still a very nice watch.

IMO, stick with an automatic. They will IMO hold their value the best. But then again, depending on your budget manual winds can be very affordable. I don't believe Omega offered a sub dial in the year you are looking for though.

·
Premium Member
7,408 Posts
I am not sure--my Longines lore is extremely limited--but I think Longines had given up the seconds subdial in the Flagship by 1970. My Flagship is a bit earlier and it used the caliber 285, which has a central seconds hand. I suspect that a seconds subdial was more rare by 1970 except maybe in more high-end pieces.

I found Longines in a jewelry store owned by a family friend--not an approach available most of the time. But it demonstrates that not all Longines watches had any Wittnauer markings thought the watch was sold in the U.S. by the Longines-Wittnauer company. Longines watches (and also JLC) sold in the U.S. were cased in the U.S., though. My Flagship is in a Star Watch Case Company case. This was a tariff dodge, but the Star cases are excellent so it doesn't usually really affect value.

But I've bought a number of vintage brands--Dong Feng, Favre-Leuba, Zodiac--and those are obscure and still quite likely to be marriages, or with garishly repainted dials and corroded movements. I followed Harmut's approach. I became interested in a particular model, and researched it first. I looked at the websites of the vintage watch sales companies, and I studied the pictures in Roland Ranfft's past watch sale archive. I also looked for brushed metal dials--those were more common in those days instead of paint. I spent at least 20 or 30 hours researching the old watches I've bought so that I became comfortable with what those models were supposed to look line.

Rick "thinking it would be a bit easier if you were five years older" Denney

1 - 8 of 8 Posts