WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have a very vintage Longines from the 1930s, but the spring bars (not the right term to use because they don't pop out), but the bars where you attach to the strap to are sautered into the lugs. What type of strap do I need to buy in order to fit it on the watch? Is there a specific name for this type of strap?

Thanks!
Dan

·
Premium Member
6,673 Posts
Just realized I was wearing an open-ended watch strap today. It is massive, and actually closes with screw-rivets, which is not the right look for all watches, but is good for pilot's watches like this one (also a Longines).

IMG_0078.jpg

·
Registered
161 Posts
Some might grimace, but you can also likely find a jeweler to cut off the bar and drill holes in the lugs for spring bars. I did this with an old family piece whose original strap was lost long ago.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,135 Posts
They are called "open ended" watch straps. The wrap around the fixed bars and either clip in place or are fixed in place with adhesive. You can also use a one-piece strap that threads through the bars.
I could not have said it better! I was thinking how to help before scrolling down - fortunately I did.

·
Banned
26 Posts
Can you post a pic of the watch? if it's very old or militar style, a leather nato could come in handy, best ones are the ones from the guys at www.atelierdelsur.com, they made them in shell cordovan wich is the best leather around. I have a few and are fantastic.

blacknato52.jpg

·
Registered
47 Posts
Are the open ended straps durable or rather safe to wear? Lol. I think I’d be scared it would come loose and I’d lose the watch!

·
Registered
47 Posts
To add, I found this thread as I was asking myself this same question recently and wanted to see what others had to say on the topic. I’ve got 3 fixed bar military issued watches and was hoping to mix it up a bit in terms of strap. One option I found that seems cool and in keeping with the vintage vibe is getting a Bonklip

·
Registered
171 Posts
Are the open ended straps durable or rather safe to wear? Lol. I think I’d be scared it would come loose and I’d lose the watch!
These are actually safer to wear than regular straps (at least on watches that have removable pins), since if one pin comes out, the strap still holds the watch to your wrist. As for fixed pin watches, I've never had a problem.

·
Premium Member
6,673 Posts
These are actually safer to wear than regular straps (at least on watches that have removable pins), since if one pin comes out, the strap still holds the watch to your wrist. As for fixed pin watches, I've never had a problem.
I believe he is asking about open ended straps with clips or glued joints, not one piece straps. They are safe if installed correctly. Read the instructions on your rubber cement and use clamps.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts