WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Banned
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, the Omega bug has bitten hard and am looking to buy a speedmaster professional.
According to the description by the seller, this one has a cal. 861 movt and original bracelet as in the picture.

Is this watch legit to your eyes? How do I tell which model number it is?

Thanks for any help, much appreciated.

·
Registered
7,979 Posts
The watch appears to be legit. The dial has tritium lume and from the patina, I would guess it is an 861 from the 70's or 80's. The bracelet looks like an 1171 but being wrapped up it's difficult to be certain.

Fr. John+

·
Registered
9,532 Posts
I'd want more and better photos

Firstly, welcome to Omegaland. You're looking at what appears to be a legitimate Speedmaster, most likely from the 80s. The best way to date it is to see the SN on the movement. That being said, crappy photos always make me nervous. The hands have taken on a yellow tint, and it's difficult to observe the condition of the dial. I would want to see additional photos of this one, including the movement.

As Fr. John indicated, the bracelet appears to be a ref.1171, which would be correct. As a side note, this bracelet is still widely available.

I would be hesitant to jump on this one, without additional photos. Speedy is a classic and there are plenty of nice examples out there. Take your time and make sure you find one you can be happy with for a very long time.

Good luck!

eric

·
Banned
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'll be meeting the seller in person tomorrow to view the watch in person. Is there anything I should look for in particular?
Anything that can help me distinguish what model or reference number it is, or if anything on the watch has been changed?

·
Registered
9,532 Posts
Good luck!

I'll be meeting the seller in person tomorrow to view the watch in person.
Excellent. That's always the ideal option.
Is there anything I should look for in particular?
There's no particular thing that I can think of. I'd just examine the overall condition of the dial, hands, case and, perhaps most importantly, the movement. It's just my opinion but, if I couldn't see the movement, I'd pass. Obviously, I'd give it a wind and make sure it's running well, including the chronograph. Make sure the hands reset properly.
Anything that can help me distinguish what model or reference number it is, or if anything on the watch has been changed?
The reference number is going to be on the inside of the caseback. It's likely going to be a 145.022. The dial and hands are aged in such a way, that they're likely original. The bezel may have been replaced, but it's difficult to tell in the photos. If it has been, it wouldn't bother me much.

Other than that, I'm not sure what additional advice to give you, other than to remind you that there are a lot of vintage Speedies out there. If you have any doubts, the right one will surely come along.

Good luck, and let us know how it goes!

eric

·
Banned
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks alot for the helpful info!

Some questions I forgot, should it have a display back or solid back? And did this model ever come with a sapphire crystal or acrylic?

I'll try to take some better pictures and post them here tomorrow, hopefully the watch turns out to be alright.

·
Registered
9,532 Posts
We're rootin' for ya'!

Thanks alot for the helpful info!
It's my pleasure. It's always fun to help someone get his hands on a Speedy!
Some questions I forgot, should it have a display back or solid back?
The first display backs appeared around 1980, but the rest of the watch looked identical. A vast majority had solid casebacks, which is what I would expect.
And did this model ever come with a sapphire crystal or acrylic?
It should have an acrylic/hesalite/plastic crystal.
I'll try to take some better pictures and post them here tomorrow, hopefully the watch turns out to be alright.
We're all rootin' for ya'!

eric

·
Banned
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Alright, added new pics now, also realised my phot taking skills leave alot to be desired.

Didnt manage to open the case back and take a look inside, but would appreciate any and all comments on the new pictures. The hands, dial bezel and bracelet look legit?
Are the hands supposed to be hollow?

One thing to note, the top chrono button sticks out noticeably more than the lower one. Is this a big problem?
It might not be very evident in the photo though.

Thanks in advance for any guidance you guys might provide

·
Registered
9,532 Posts
My personal opinion

Alright, added new pics now, also realised my phot taking skills leave alot to be desired.
Oh, your photos are fine, and considerably better than the seller's.
Didnt manage to open the case back and take a look inside,
Well, again, that would be my number one concern, but different people are willing to take different risks. If you have it in your hands for evaluation, I'd recommend taking it to a local watchmaker and having him remove the back for examination.
but would appreciate any and all comments on the new pictures.
I'll give it a shot.
The hands, dial bezel and bracelet look legit?
Yes, the parts appear to be genuine and, at least the dial and hands are likely original. The bezel is a replacement, which I don't think is a big deal.

The dial looks to be in decent condition. I can't tell if the lume has been removed from the markers, or if it just hasn't faded much. Given the fact that the hands have lost their lume, I would have to guess that the dial has, as well.
Are the hands supposed to be hollow?
The hands originally had luminous material (tritium) through the center. It has since deteriorated and been lost.
One thing to note, the top chrono button sticks out noticeably more than the lower one. Is this a big problem?
It might not be very evident in the photo though.
Well, it shouldn't stick out. It's possible that the threads have stripped and/or that it's coming unscrewed. Either way, it should be addressed, or you may lose the button/pusher.
Thanks in advance for any guidance you guys might provide
Overall, for a watch that is probably 25 years old, at the most, I'd describe the condition as below average. The questions I would consider are:

- How much do you care about originality?
- How much time and effort are you willing to put in to improve it?
- And, of course, price

The pusher can be fixed, one way or another. Either re-attached or replaced. You may wish to replace the hands, which is an easy job for a competent watchmaker. All these parts are easy to acquire. Finally, you have to assume that the movement requires servicing, at the least, and possibly repairs. All in all, I'd budget at least $300 for the above.

Again, I wouldn't want to pull the trigger on this one, without seeing the movement. The fact that the hands and possibly dial have lost their lume, along with what appears to be yellowing towards the pinions of the hands (other than the small seconds, oddly. It may be a replacement, too) just makes me nervous. It's just my opinion, and others may disagree.

If you decide to let this one pass, rest assured, another will come along...probably sooner than you think.

Good luck!

eric

·
Banned
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Eptaz, you are one of the reasons why I keep coming back to this board again and again. You and your fellow moderators across the various forums never fail to provide much info and insight to anyone who seeks answers.

I thank you for your frank opinions and will keep this watch on hold until I can get pics of the movt.
Seller also offered me a straight trade for my Sinn 103 St, mint condition on leather strap with full box and papers.

Good deal or fold?

·
Registered
7,979 Posts
Eptaz, you are one of the reasons why I keep coming back to this board again and again. You and your fellow moderators across the various forums never fail to provide much info and insight to anyone who seeks answers.

I thank you for your frank opinions and will keep this watch on hold until I can get pics of the movt.
Seller also offered me a straight trade for my Sinn 103 St, mint condition on leather strap with full box and papers.

Good deal or fold?
I'd keep the Sinn and continue looking for a Speedy. I really can't get too enthused about the one you are considering.

Fr. John+

·
Registered
725 Posts

Good deal or fold?
Ooof!

Definitely fold on that one... As has been said, there are a lot of speedies out there. Even for some of the more "Rare" models, the deal of the century seems to come around about once a month... I'd see if there are some hole-in-the-wall watch shops in your area, and then keep them staked out. Everyone knows what a Speedmaster is, and if you have a couple of shopkeepers who know you're interested, it'll happen.

Good luck!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts