WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

21 - 40 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
what are people using as the reference for these tide times?

·
Premium Member
270 Posts
I have had mine for several weeks now with the tide set for San Francisco. The high and low times are off by 20-30 minutes which is OK for me. I just accept the fact that the watch only provides an approximate range. The Operation Guide says, " Displayed information is intended for reference only." Differences of hours would not be acceptable. You can change the high tide time hours and minutes for your Port using the Setting screen which may improve your accuracy.

·
Registered
47 Posts
It's hard to accept "approximate", the only reason to buy a GBX was the tide function for me.
In this case, i can continue to use my GLX5600 and GW7900, they are easier to set. No buggy Bluetooth app needed.
Is it difficult for Casio to provide an accurate service ?

·
Registered
742 Posts
The real questions are:

What data is CASIO pulling from for their tide info?
Is the data from CASIO's data source being accurately mirrored on the watch?

·
Registered
47 Posts
New iOS app version, 1.7.0
Tides are totally wrong for me.

Today high tide :
Casio : 10h24am
Reality : 12h04

1h40 too soon, can't trust this ****ty app/datas atm.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Today difference Casio/reality is 1h50. Ridiculous.

I sent a mail to Casio app developers. Here's the answer :

Dear ladies and gentleman,

Regarding your question, we can inform you about the following.

We registered your complaint, and know that our research and development department in Japan are working on it. Nevertheless we cannot give you a solution that improves the tide forecast. We forward your request to our technical center.
Please visit us on our website:

Support | CASIO

Best regards

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi All,

New here but signed up as I was having the same issue.
Live on the East Coast of Australia.
Tide function is way out when entering manually.
Really frustrating given the cost of the watch in Aus & it being the main reason I bought it.
I did some research to decide whether to return it.

Not sure if its been posted but I found the following on Casio's website.
Looks like there will be an update by early November.

Appreciate the info in the above forum.

[Apologies for failures of tide functions]
To Users of GBX-100

September 24,2020
Thank you for using GBX-100 and the dedicated app G-SHOCK MOVE.

We have found an issue in the functions related to the tide installed in this watch and the application. We sincerely apologize for any inconvenience caused.
When a preset area other than Japan or Europe (excluding some areas) was selected with the tide function of the watch or the app, the time of high and low tide and tide level will be incorrectly shifting.
Cause of failure:
There was a bug in the tide algorithm other than Japan and Europe (excluding some areas).
Fix schedule:
It has Planned to fix by early November. Once the schedule would be specified, we would inform you again on this website.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi All,

New here but signed up as I was having the same issue.
Live on the East Coast of Australia.
Tide function is way out when entering manually.
Really frustrating given the cost of the watch in Aus & it being the main reason I bought it.
I did some research to decide whether to return it.

Not sure if its been posted but I found the following on Casio's website.
Looks like there will be an update by early November.

Appreciate the info in the above forum.

[Apologies for failures of tide functions]
To Users of GBX-100

September 24,2020
Thank you for using GBX-100 and the dedicated app G-SHOCK MOVE.

We have found an issue in the functions related to the tide installed in this watch and the application. We sincerely apologize for any inconvenience caused.
When a preset area other than Japan or Europe (excluding some areas) was selected with the tide function of the watch or the app, the time of high and low tide and tide level will be incorrectly shifting.
Cause of failure:
There was a bug in the tide algorithm other than Japan and Europe (excluding some areas).
Fix schedule:
It has Planned to fix by early November. Once the schedule would be specified, we would inform you again on this website.
That’s good to hear... thanks for the heads up

·
Registered
3,221 Posts
I just received my GBX-100 yesterday. I set up the Tide function using the Move App by clicking a point on the map for Rockport, MA Harbor where I spend a considerable amount of time on the beach during summer and is the main reason I purchased this watch. The high and low tide times shown on the watch are within 5 minutes of published tide charts on the internet for this location.

The beach I spend time on here at high tide becomes really small so unless you get there a couple of hours before high tide you'll have trouble finding a spot to put your blanket out, especially on weekends. So, the information in this regard is useful to me.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I tried all the presets for my east coast location in Australia, either in the app or the phone, but they were all way out.
Created my own User location but that was out too, coincidentally by + 60 minutes, so I turned DST off in the custom settings of the tide location and so far it has stayed pretty close to correct.
DST is still in use for watch time, but not the tide location I created.
Would prefer to see the name of the location I created on the watch face instead of “User”.
Any suggestions would be appreciated.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Forgot to mention that the name I gave my custom location shows on the phone app, but doesn’t transfer to the watch.
Thanks

·
Registered
47 Posts
Hi
My GBX received Firmware 04, and my phone the latest Move app.
And there's still a bug with tides. Now, on smartphone app, when i try to go on tides menu, i can't select manually location in my country. When i click on the red location symbol i want, the smartphone screen becomes grey, and that's all.
Tides are more bugged than ever.

·
Registered
259 Posts
I see the same issue with the GShock Connected app and the new GWF-A1000 Frogman. The tide shown in the app is nearly an hour off from the NOAA tide chart. Northeastern USA location.

·
Registered
7,255 Posts
Casio always used very crude tide function.
If you really want exact tide just get another watch.
Considering smart watch nature of watch in question and pairing with phone it should not been an issue but i think tide function not that smart.
Bottom line: want good tides get Garmin, Nixon or RipCurl/Freestyle

If you want Casio get WSD smart watch and install 3d party app

·
Registered
7,255 Posts
Hi
And there's still a bug with tides. Now, on smartphone app, when i try to go on tides menu, i can't select manually location in my country. When i click on the red location symbol i want, the smartphone screen becomes grey, and that's all.
For Casio to get it right they need either connect to tide database via location and have direct display of it or include far more sophisticated algorithm and take into account different types of tides and local corrections.
Current one is either just for show like in models like GW7900 it takes it by time zone so not representative at all and for more advanced models it's semidiurnal tides with some correction so if you in this region and you manually correct for local delay it will be within reasonable accuracy in general.... Casio did not include any other types of tides. Not to mention corrections due to seasons and sun/moon positional variation are not included either.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi
Hello,
I just received my watch and I got the exact same behaviors as what you describe. Here is what I tried for TIDES

• APP mode: Selecting a port on the map in the app leads to a grey screen and that's it
  • PRESET mode: works for the 50 existing presets in the watch but values are wrong. I added "BOUCAU" which is a port in south west of the French coast near Biarritz, but values are totally different from the ones on maree info (French reference website), and not by just a few minutes.
  • CUSTOM mode: I entered the GPS coordinates of BOUCAU manually and gave the high tide value manually, and the next low tide value isn't even correct. Also the water height and low values in centimeters are not displayed in this mode.

I opened a case for the support and also wrote to CASIO directly on twitter. On Reddit a guy said he will contact Casio boss over LinkedIn :)

I think we should put pressure on them until some developers in an office somewhere in Tokyo solves this. We all bought the watch for this very function and we want it to work, if not exactly, at least with a precision of 20 minutes let's say.
I think quitting is not an answer. Casio can't advertise this function as one of the main features of this watch and then letting us with a toy-function, imaginative times and graph.

Rocket1991 seems to be pessimistic about this function being accurate one day.... I hope Casio will do something. They should not re-invent the wheel, just use a proper tide reference database.

Thanks to all for keeping faith :)

A bientôt !

Arnaud

·
Registered
742 Posts
Obviously one major issue would be the reference tidal database itself. CASIO would have to constantly update their intake routines over time to compensate for changes in the reference database api.

Can they maintain it for 10,20 or 30 years?

is there a robust enough static, deterministic algorithm or lookup table to provide the accuracy people are looking for?

would it be better if people could just upload their own tide tables to the watch?

·
Registered
47 Posts
Hello,
I just received my watch and I got the exact same behaviors as what you describe. Here is what I tried for TIDES

• APP mode: Selecting a port on the map in the app leads to a grey screen and that's it
  • PRESET mode: works for the 50 existing presets in the watch but values are wrong. I added "BOUCAU" which is a port in south west of the French coast near Biarritz, but values are totally different from the ones on maree info (French reference website), and not by just a few minutes.
  • CUSTOM mode: I entered the GPS coordinates of BOUCAU manually and gave the high tide value manually, and the next low tide value isn't even correct. Also the water height and low values in centimeters are not displayed in this mode.

I opened a case for the support and also wrote to CASIO directly on twitter. On Reddit a guy said he will contact Casio boss over LinkedIn :)

I think we should put pressure on them until some developers in an office somewhere in Tokyo solves this. We all bought the watch for this very function and we want it to work, if not exactly, at least with a precision of 20 minutes let's say.
I think quitting is not an answer. Casio can't advertise this function as one of the main features of this watch and then letting us with a toy-function, imaginative times and graph.

Rocket1991 seems to be pessimistic about this function being accurate one day.... I hope Casio will do something. They should not re-invent the wheel, just use a proper tide reference database.

Thanks to all for keeping faith :)

A bientôt !

Arnaud
In French, for Arnaud.01 :
C'est vraiment la merde cette montre, le coté montre connectée est certainement le plus gros fail de Casio ces dernières années.
On trouve des Huawei, Honor entre 50 et 100 balles avec un excellent écran Amoled, Casio nous a bien enflé avec sa montre pas trop connectée mais buguée au possible. 150 balles pour ça, j'en suis personnellement dégouté. Je m'étais super emballé pour l'acheter dès la sortie, au final, c'est bien la seule montre que je ne mets pas actuellement.
N'importe quelle vieille Apple Watch avec l'appli Marées.info fera le job 10 fois mieux.
J'ai même l'impression que la montre est introuvable à la vente. Aurait-elle été retirée du marché ?

So, i consider this watch like the biggest Casio fail atm.
They consider us like beta testers ? Casio only release update once a month ?
Why it takes so long to solve software problems ?
Already contacted Casio, but nothing happened. "We transfer your request to our engineers blablabla..."
Really disappointed by this sh!tt! GBX.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Casio always used very crude tide function.
If you really want exact tide just get another watch.
We are in 2020, not in dinosaurs era.
There's lot of official services all over the world to get accurate tide times.
In France, we have Horaires de marées gratuits du SHOM
So, why Casio are not using datas from Shom for example ? Money cost ? They are too stupids to get good informations ?
Everyone with a 50 € smartphone can get more accurate informations than Casio's joke watches.

21 - 40 of 45 Posts