WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
My Grandfather gave this to me with great Pride last week. Hope to pass it down for generations to come. Problem is, I cannot find any information on it. Appears it is a Waltham movement cased by A Canadian Company from Toronto called "American Watch Case" company and it is the "Cashier" model. I believe W.W. Wellner is just the jewellers name from P.E.I. stamped on the dial. But I cannot date it, and I would like more info on the movement, the W.W. Wellner name etc. and I just can't find. Please help.

Case info:
Cashier A.W.C. co gold filled

Dial:
W.W. Wellner
Charlottetown, P.E.I.

Movement:
The Wellner Watch
17 Jewels
CB(What does this mean?)
Fast(What does this mean?)
20170603_184404_HDR[2716].jpg
20170603_184513[2717].jpg
20170603_184522[2718].jpg
20170603_184547[2719].jpg
20170605_210626[2724].jpg
20170605_212725[2729].jpg

Reactions: Junjun

·
Registered
20 Posts
My Grandfather gave this to me with great Pride last week. Hope to pass it down for generations to come. Problem is, I cannot find any information on it. Appears it is a Waltham movement cased by A Canadian Company from Toronto called "American Watch Case" company and it is the "Cashier" model. I believe W.W. Wellner is just the jewellers name from P.E.I. stamped on the dial. But I cannot date it, and I would like more info on the movement, the W.W. Wellner name etc. and I just can't find. Please help.

Case info:
Cashier A.W.C. co gold filled

Dial:
W.W. Wellner
Charlottetown, P.E.I.

Movement:
The Wellner Watch
17 Jewels
CB(What does this mean?)
Fast(What does this mean?)
View attachment 12088906
View attachment 12088922
View attachment 12088930
View attachment 12088954
View attachment 12088986
View attachment 12088994
That is a really fine watch!:) take really good care of it and pass it to your son!:)

Sent from my F3216 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,580 Posts
One answer to start with: Fast means fast (or faster). If you move the regulator to this side, you are shortening the active part of the hairspring and the watch runs faster. Slow on the other side means slower. You can only see the last letter 'W', the rest is under the goose neck (goose neck type regulator).

I don't think it is a Waltham movement, at least not with that serial number.

Origin = Canadian. P.E.I. = Price Edward Island, Charlottetown is the capital of that province (unless you are a Cannuck yourself and know that anyway).

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
It's not a Waltham movement design I recognise. It may be a Swiss movement. There's a marking under the balance wheel that may be a caliber/reference number.

·
Registered
10 Posts
It looks Swiss to me. I've noticed that American movements have the click near the smaller winding wheel (I forget the name) and Swiss movements have it mounted opposite that wheel.
It's also a brand I've never heard of.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you for the info. I can dig deeper now.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I am. That is where my Great Grandfather originated from.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
The number under the balance wheel is 19.71. Looks to be a Longines movement. Unclear on the date as research doesn't show the exact movement. Anywhere from 1900-1942. I have emailed Longines for more info. It appears the 17 Jewels is the top of the line version. I will post when I hear back from Longines.

·
Registered
7,826 Posts
Here's the only site, where the 19.71 is listed:
PocketWatch - Technik Taschenuhren-Kaliber Longines

There appears to be little info about it anywhere.

The serial (should be a Longines one, since the Longines movements sold to other manufacturers still had a Longines serial on them) dates it to 1911.

Since the movement isn't in a Longines watch as such, they will likely only have the date of manufacture of the movement, and the information about the company/retailer/jeweller it was invoiced at. Nevertheless, contacting Longines is indeed the way to go.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Here's the only site, where the 19.71 is listed:
PocketWatch - Technik Taschenuhren-Kaliber Longines

There appears to be little info about it anywhere.

The serial (should be a Longines one, since the Longines movements sold to other manufacturers still had a Longines serial on them) dates it to 1911.

Since the movement isn't in a Longines watch as such, they will likely only have the date of manufacture of the movement, and the information about the company/retailer/jeweller it was invoiced at. Nevertheless, contacting Longines is indeed the way to go.
Thank you very much. Date shows 1896. May I ask why you say 1911?

Kaliber 19.71 Funktionen
Werk: Kronenaufzug
Sekunde: klein
Daten
Durchmesser:
Höhe:
Steine:
Schwingung:
Sonstiges
Baujahr:
Stossicherung: ohne
Bemerkungen
Breguet-Spirale, Kompensations-Unruh, Kurvenscheiben-Reglage
Beispiel (Jahr: Signatur)

·
Registered
7,826 Posts
The sample on that website is from 1896. The serial number on the movement of your watch dates it to 1911.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
Pithy, How many Jewels is that? Appears the 17 Jewels is not so common. Found examples of the 19.71N, but nothing for this exact movement. That picture is not the same movement if you take another look at mine. Similar, but balance wheel is on the opposite side.
20170605_212725[2729].jpg

·
Registered
9,498 Posts
Longines. [hunter version pictured below] Dead common. A jewelers' favorite.
Pithy, How many Jewels is that? . . .

. . . . Appears the 17 Jewels is not so common. . . .
It's the only jewel count that I can remember ever seeing it in.

. . . . Found examples of the 19.71N, but nothing for this exact movement. . . .
I've seen them at most marts I've attended and they used to pop up on ebay with decent regularity.

. . . . That picture is not the same movement if you take another look at mine. Similar, but balance wheel is on the opposite side. . . .
New to watches?

Review my post.

Yours is an open face, mine is a hunter.

Many cos. manufactured versions of each to be able to hit both sides of the consumer street while maintaining a smaller component footprint.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Snarky fellow aren't you Pithy. New to vintage watches and pocket watches for sure. Just saying, Your info doesn't seem to pertain to my exact movement. No need to be rude. What is the difference between "open face", and "hunter"? Thanks.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
The sample on that website is from 1896. The serial number on the movement of your watch dates it to 1911.
Can I ask how you dated the serial number for reference? Thanks.

·
Registered
9,498 Posts
Snarky fellow aren't you Pithy. New to vintage watches and pocket watches for sure. Just saying, Your info doesn't seem to pertain to my exact movement. No need to be rude. What is the difference between "open face", and "hunter"? Thanks.
Noted.

·
Zenith Forum Co-moderator
19,053 Posts
That's because the serial number on yours dates it to 1911. The specimen shown in the link dates to 1896.

On the whole, watch movements are usually made over a period of several decades and are used and cased up as required. Obviously, this one was designed in or before 1896 and still made in 1911.

Hartmut Richter

1 - 20 of 20 Posts