WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi and thanks in advance for your time and assistance!

Just acquired this beautiful solid 18K Omega 2816 S.C with 354 bumper movement.

1) Would love to know if the beautifully "patina-ed" dial is an all original, non-refurbished, 're-dialed', etc... NOTHING is printed on the dial aside from "OMEGA" and "AUTOMATIC", no "SWISS MADE", "SWISS", etc...

2) Currently has a none Omega-signed generic crown. Which Omega-signed crown should be on it, the "4-leaf-clover" style one?

Thanks again!

Attachments

·
Registered
2,500 Posts
Hmmm. Had a quick nose into the Omega Vintage database and didn't see it there - but there are many pictures not loaded and the database isn't always accurate. OMEGA Watches: Vintage Watches Database

My feeling is that dial is probably re-done. It looks well done, if so, an older re-dial. I think it should have Swiss Made on it; I'm not sure when, but they didn't always have Swiss Made – this became something of a marketing strategy by Swiss manufacturers, so the absence of the the printing doesn't mean it's not genuine. Necessarily, that is, but perhaps one of the Omega experts resident here will fill us in on that.

I'm pretty sure that the crown is incorrect. It should be signed, and as you suggest, I'm more used to seeing these with the clover leaf crown.

·
Registered
18,163 Posts
I too suspect an old redial. But some Omegas were made without the 'swiss made'... the only ones that HAD to have it were ones sold in the US.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Thanks Eeeb and Habitant - thanks for the reply and database info!

I agree with you that it's either a genuine factory dial without the SWISS MADE print or a nice older re-done. It's definitely not a newer re-done. Really like the patina on it.

And after seeing the ones that are on google, and if this is a Seamaster series, then the clover leaf crown should be 'appropriate' for the watch.

Thanks again!

Hoping for more peeps to chime in too!

·
Registered
2,964 Posts
I agree with you that it's either a genuine factory dial without the SWISS MADE print or a nice older re-done. It's definitely not a newer re-done. Really like the patina on it.

And after seeing the ones that are on google, and if this is a Seamaster series, then the clover leaf crown should be 'appropriate' for the watch.
I think your dial is fully original. As previously noted, not all Omega dials from this era have "Swiss Made" under the 6. Sometimes it is small and hidden.

While early Seamasters didn't not necessary have the model name on the dial, I'm not sure that this is a Seamaster, even though it should say waterproof on the back.

I found this picture of what looks to be an original crown for the watch. The dial is a horrible redial, so please excuse it.

$_57.JPG

Take care,
gatorcpa

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Thanks for the info and pic gatorcpa!

edited: Any way to get the measurements for that crown?

I just looked and yes, it does say WATERPROOF on the back, all capitalized letters.

It's very interesting in trying to identify whether the dial and crown are OEM.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts