WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Greetings new friends.

This is my first post on this forum and I am as new to this as I could possibly be....lol

I received a decent number of vintage watches in a trade I did recently and I am having a difficult time verifying the watches I have.
It seems I can find the brands easily but the actual model and value are very hard to ID and I don't want to start ripping these all apart as they
may have value and I do not want to risk damaging them.

I will post this first watch just to see if we can work together to ID these very interesting watches.
It is an American Waltham pocket watch. It is blank on the back and it is NOT hinged. I suspect gold plating but not sure.
The watch still runs when you shake the case a bit. I am having it sent out to an expert vintage watch man to have it cleaned inside and oiled.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
I figured out how to open it - thanx YouTube!
If my intel is correct, this watch was made in 1890.
Can't figure out much more than though

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
You have an 1889 vintage Waltham size 18 model 1883 watch with 15 jewels in the P.S. Bartlett grade. This is a mid-range grade. The model 1883 was made from 1883 till 1920 with 5.4 million units produced making it the most produced American pocket watch. Considering all combinations of jeweling and grades approximately 137 variations were made. In addition there are many variations of plate finish including the plain gilt plates of your watch as well as many styles of damaskeening using nickel plates.

I can't read the case markings, but I suspect the case is gold filled.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You have an 1889 vintage Waltham size 18 model 1883 watch with 15 jewels in the P.S. Bartlett grade. This is a mid-range grade. The model 1883 was made from 1883 till 1920 with 5.4 million units produced making it the most produced American pocket watch. Considering all combinations of jeweling and grades approximately 137 variations were made. In addition there are many variations of plate finish including the plain gilt plates of your watch as well as many styles of damaskeening using nickel plates.

I can't read the case markings, but I suspect the case is gold filled.
Thank you Ron!

Very nice to know now exactly what this is.

Cheers
Bernie

1 - 7 of 7 Posts