WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys,

I'm new to these forums but have been reading various posts and am very pleased with the quick and helpful responses the community gives around here. For the past month or so I have been reading up about watches and doing my research on which watch brands would give me the dress watch that I'm looking for within my budget of $2000 (this is the max I am willing to go).

I have narrowed it down to these two after considering quite a number:
1. NOMOS tangente
2. Baume & Mercier Classima Executive 8731

Both are about the same price but pretty different designs

Which do you think would serve as a better dress watch, and by all means, if any of you have other suggestions of dress watches within my budget, please post em up! Thank you so much!

·
Registered
9,883 Posts
I would get the B et M, it just moves me more. However, the Nomos may be a better value, but that is always secondary to me versus liking the watch.

·
Registered
10,228 Posts

Both would make terrific dress watches. I used the Nomos Tangente Datum here since I wasn't sure which one you wanted and it created the best parity between them.

I think you're going to be happy with either, but personally, I'd take the Nomos. I think the design is more refreshing and clean for one thing, although that's simply a matter of taste. The Tangente is also very thin, being a handwound watch. It also has a prettier movement:

Different watch, bu same movement and decoration, so it'll do.

Not much to look at on the Baume.

I also rather suspect the Nomos will be a little more accurate. Although you will have to handwind it every day (unless you go to the Tangomat version).

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you all for your comments!

In terms of the outside display, Baume & Mercier seems to attract me more, but in terms of movement, NOMOS definitely wins as it is an in-house movement.

Citizen, the glass back that you showed me, that does look lovely, sadly it would be more expensive to have the glass back than without :(

So hard to make a decision! though i'll have to make one within 12 hours.

More thoughts on this are welcome! Thanks again!

·
Registered
1,375 Posts
Have you checked out Frederique Constant's Manufacture line? They should be available right around your budget.

Reactions: FCGVA and CitizenM

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
imo, neither truly fits the bill for a first dress watch. The B&M looks more the part, but is 42mm wide. The Nomos is more the right size, but is a bit more eclectic. They would both make great 2nd dressers, with more versatility. In your budget, I'd look for something from Longines like the L4.708.4.72.2.

·
Registered
10,228 Posts
Thank you all for your comments!

In terms of the outside display, Baume & Mercier seems to attract me more, but in terms of movement, NOMOS definitely wins as it is an in-house movement.

Citizen, the glass back that you showed me, that does look lovely, sadly it would be more expensive to have the glass back than without :(

So hard to make a decision! though i'll have to make one within 12 hours.

More thoughts on this are welcome! Thanks again!

I think it's a pretty nominal price increase for the sapphire back--definitely money you want to spend on it. If you don't you will always regret it.

One thing to keep in mind about the Baume is that it has an easier to set date mechanism. This makes almost no difference if you wear your watches a lot (or wind them a lot in the case of a handwound), but if you let your watches die and are frequently setting the date, the Nomos can be a bit of a pain since it has no quickset date.

On the other hand, people really like the straps that come on Nomos watches. I guess I have a little different tastes in straps than most Nomos fans, but the consensus is that their straps are top notch for the money.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts