WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all!
I need help validating the authenticity of a watch before purchase.

s-l1600 (1).jpg
s-l1600.jpg e.jpg s-l1600 (2).jpg

I tried doing my own research but I couldn't find a flaw. I'm an inexperienced watch buyer, let alone used watch buyer. the most expensive watch i've owned is a Hamilton Khaki King. I've wanted a ventura for a very long time but at the price this seemed too good to be true for me.

thanks!

·
Registered
10,841 Posts
I'm not the Hamilton Ventura expert but that looks very wrong to me. The base metal case, poor quality case back, tiny crown, strange script font logo, etc. are all red flags.

·
Registered
4,208 Posts
I have seen listings of 1980s Ventura that look like that (smallish crown, "base metal" engraving on back). Selling it in Japan for ~$300.

I am not an expert either, but I have seen other examples that look the same...so either multiple fakes or that is genuine.

·
Registered
36,279 Posts
Be aware there are fakes of these Ventura. Not saying this is one, but cannot be sure it isn't fake.
The crown looks wrong.

If the seller cannot provide better, crisper photos, recommend passing on it.

Jomashop photo of a legit Ventura

Back is different

·
Registered
3,283 Posts
I believe the watch in question is from the mid seventies. I also think it's an original Hamilton. Nice find, perfect for laying the groundwork to your budding collection. enjoy the piece.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Much to think about. It was hard finding a picture to fit the backing. The seller said it's several years old, so that might excuse the backing being a little... 'worn'? Since it's a no return policy I wont be able to see it with my own eyes so i'm probably going to pass. Thanks for the input everyone!

·
Registered
2,527 Posts
There are a ton of Hamilton fakes on the internet. I bought a fake Khaki before sending it back and getting a legitimate one.

As Strmwatch and yankeexpress say, blurry photos are not sufficient to prove fake. But blurry photos are often necessary to hide a fake.

If the watch is from the 70's, it looks like the front has been polished and the glass changed. The box and cards, etc, don't show nearly enough age for an old watch. The crown could have been replaced, although smaller crowns were the norm.

If he says its newer, I certainly wouldn't touch it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts