WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All, I'm new to this forum! I wanted to buy my husband a versatile watch for our anniversary. I want him to be able to wear it dressed up or just to the office. I don't want to spend huge amounts of money on it but i do want it to be a good looking watch, so i was hoping to just get a few recommendations and input. At this point, he does not own any "working" watches. I know he wants a new one but he never buys one for himself. I was really looking at The Raymond Weil Toccata White Dial Black Leather Strap Mens Watch 5588-STC-00300. Thoughts? do you think that's a good "starter" watch? I think it looks good but i need a mans opinion, any help is appreciated!! Thanks!!

·
Registered
312 Posts
Raymond Weil is a nice brand. However, if it were me, I would recommend something in the Hamilton line. Better horological history. Plenty of price points and styles.

Reactions: socrates35

·
Registered
616 Posts
Hi All, I'm new to this forum! I wanted to buy my husband a versatile watch for our anniversary. I want him to be able to wear it dressed up or just to the office. I don't want to spend huge amounts of money on it but i do want it to be a good looking watch, so i was hoping to just get a few recommendations and input. At this point, he does not own any "working" watches. I know he wants a new one but he never buys one for himself. I was really looking at The Raymond Weil Toccata White Dial Black Leather Strap Mens Watch 5588-STC-00300. Thoughts? do you think that's a good "starter" watch? I think it looks good but i need a mans opinion, any help is appreciated!! Thanks!!
I own a different Raymond Weil (Freelancer) and love it. I like the fact that its still a family owned company, even though it doesn't have the history of some other brands.

Raymond Weil is a nice brand. However, if it were me, I would recommend something in the Hamilton line. Better horological history. Plenty of price points and styles.
Hamiltons rock too! I love my Pan Europ OP. Hamilton is definitely the more recognizable brand.

·
Registered
2,010 Posts
Welcome! If you can give us a little more specificity on your budget and what "huge amounts of money" means, it would be helpful. What's your top dollar you want to spend? I'm not a fan of the Toccata you listed. How 'bout something like this:

viso.png
The Tissot Visodate is around the same price range and has a vaguely retro/formal styling that would work well in a variety of situations.

Reactions: mc4nam

·
Registered
68 Posts

Hello. Do you mind giving us a little more info to help you make the best decision?

Based on the information you have given is $500 about the max you want to spend?

What watches does he own now? If so which ones?
What are his hobbies and how dressed up is office? Suits? Business casual?

Side note. It seems these days there aren't really any rules in watch wearing. You can wear a G-Shock with a suit and no one really cares but the opinions you get here will mostly be a little more "buttoned up" IMHO.

Ultimately, do what you and your husband like but we will all gladly give you our opinions.

No offense to the posters before me but Hamilton is more well known than Raymond in Watch circles but not for everyone else.

Back to your request, I would go with the Tissot Visodate - Official Tissot Website - Collections - Heritage - TISSOT HERITAGE VISODATE AUTOMATIC - T0194301603101

IMG_4528.jpg

·
Registered
2,250 Posts
Raymond Weil has some nice pieces. You might also want to look at Frederique Constant or Baume and Mercier. Lots of variety at different price points.

·
Registered
723 Posts
Raymond Weils are nice watches. I have one as well. The one you picked is going to be well-crafted and accurate (since it's a quartz watch), but around this forum we tend to be biased toward watches with mechanical or automatic movements. Those watches get a little more "street cred" with the watch nerds, but they are more expensive usually, definitely less accurate, and will require service every 5-10 years or so.

Other brands that are well-respected and have similar classically-styled watches at price points similar to the Raymond Weil you suggested include Frederique Constant, Tissot, and Hamilton. Baume et Mercier usually runs a little higher but good prices can be found online as well. Bulova also offers well-priced watches in its Accu-Swiss (formerly Accutron) line, and of course the Japanese have lots of options from Seiko, Citizen, and Orient. It's overwhelming, but with a little more information on price, desired movement, and style, we can narrow down suggestions for you.

·
Premium Member
64,752 Posts
I'm sure that any watch that you buy him will be the right one but there's a good reason why so many (me included) suggest you look at the Tissot Visodate.

·
Registered
51 Posts
If you decide to go with Raymond Weil you should know that joomashop usually sells them at 50% less than at a local AD.

Good alternative to the one you picked would be the Tissot Le Locle

tissot-t-classic-le-locle-mens-watch-t41-1-423-33-28.jpg

joomashop has it today similarly priced to the RW you have picked.

Another one to pick would be Frederic Constant Index. Great watches.

While I used to like the Visodate from Tissot, I think it is bit to thick and has a specific "retro" appeal. The one you have picked and the Le Locle are more dressier given the roman numerals.

·
Registered
550 Posts
Maurice Lacroix is definitely a brand to consider. One of the first watches I ever bought was a second hand Maurice Lacroix and I loved it.

·
Banned
759 Posts
Get him a diver.

I think Divers are great for dressing up or down. Check out Seiko. It'll be a few hundred. Will last forever.

I of course love my LeLocle and that's why my nic is LeLocle.

As you can see it looks perfect with my work clothes. Dress shirt and a tie, but with casual clothes it looks and feels very out of place. That's why I got the diver.

You can see how different they are

But a Diver with a stainless steel bracelet would look fine with anything.

Even my Orange diver looks good with a tie, and that's a rubber diver strap.

Can't go wrong with a diver and a bracelet strap. That goes with anything any day.

·
Registered
12,210 Posts
Good suggestions in this thread. I'll just say that Raymond Weil is a good brand, still family-owned and makes quality watches. I bought one last year and really enjoy it.

Whatever you pick, congratulations on the 1 year anniversary!

Attachments

·
Registered
3,129 Posts
Why don't you buy it together? My wife bought me a beautiful baume mercier cost a bunch her and her friends loved it, me I loved the sentiment the watch not so much. I couldnt tell her that. After 10 years of little wrist time told her instead of servicing it again why don't we trade it for something new. We surfed the web together and picked its replacement. Lots of wrist time both of us are happy. I respect everyone's opinion I just don't want other people picking my watch, car, tv etc.

·
Moderator Public Forum
10,282 Posts
RW is a good brand. I'd look through their collection, as well as a couple of other brands like Hamilton & Tissot as suggested and choose what you think he will like. You know him better than any of us.

If he is not a watch nut I would stick with quartz. He may not appreciate a watch that stops all the time if it is not worn continuously.

I bought one last year and really enjoy it.
That's Beautiful.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Any of the Seiko automatics are a great choice for a beginner who might unintentionally be hard on his wristwear. I've heard from serious collectors that the titanium Seiko Shogun is the most comfortable tool watch they've ever worn if you are looking for a one and done.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts