WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have usually had no problems in replacing digital watch batteries. However, my Casio #2587 (similar to 2406 and 2583) Wave Ceptor watch has me stumped. The CR1620 battery is held down by a very thin metal plate that covers most of the back of the watch and appears to be clipped to the body of the watch by four ears that are part of the plate (each ear is on the perimeter of the plate and at 90 degrees to the plate). I wonder if there is some release mechanism to free this plate or does one forcibly unsnap the plate (and, if so, is there a specific ear that should be unsnapped first?). Any suggestions would be appreciated.

·
Moderator G-Shock Forum
21,555 Posts
Hi Wolf,

I think you mean the battery lock (I hope you do). You can release the lock by using a very thin pin (those things that women use yo sew clothes with). There is a little notch you need to pul the lip over and the battery lock will jump open.

Maybe this page will help you. I understand that most Casio's use the same techniques.

Good Luck,

Sjors

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks sjors for your rapid reply. The thing is, that very thin "plate" I describe in my Casio, is a single piece of metal (holding down the battery and making contact with it's positive side). The plate has some cutouts in it, but it is certain that the entire plate must be removed to get at the battery. I am just afraid to try to snap the plate away from the body of the watch without knowing which of the four ears to pull on first! I'll see if I can take a photo of this and post it here Ken

·
Moderator G-Shock Forum
21,555 Posts
Goodmorning Ken,

I think it's the type of battery lock that is locked on two sides (I've seen them before in older G-Shock types). You got to unlock both sides, but the procedure is the same. Placing a photo would be very effective I think, because I can only guess what you see. If you have a digital camera, try to make a macro and post it here. If you don't trust it get your watch to a Casio Service centre...

Cheers,

Sjors

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
I hope these will get you to pictures of my watch. The four "ears" I mentioned each clip to the side of the body of the watch and each is a switch for either the Light, Start, Mode or Receive function.

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b131/wilyoffy/DSCN0041.jpg
http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b131/wilyoffy/DSCN0040.jpg

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b131/wilyoffy/DSCN0037.jpg

I am persisting in this since I have the watch apart, I already have the new battery and for future reference. This watch must be different from most Casios, huh?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Sjors, are you saying that the piece laying directly on the battery has enough elasticity that it can be lifted off of the battery and that it will return to position after inserting the new battery (in other words, it can be bent upwards far enough to remove and replace the battery)?

I keep getting confused, I think, by the word "lock". Thanks for sticking with me on this.

·
Registered
193 Posts
wolf01 said:
Sjors, are you saying that the piece laying directly on the battery has enough elasticity that it can be lifted off of the battery and that it will return to position after inserting the new battery (in other words, it can be bent upwards far enough to remove and replace the battery)?

I keep getting confused, I think, by the word "lock". Thanks for sticking with me on this.
Yes, you shouldn't have to lift this clip very high to get the battery out. It will go back down and lock. Just don't twist it or anything,lift it straight up only as far as you need to remove the battery. Don't forget to ac. the watch once the battery is in place. If you wanna have some real fun try one of these: Oder casio alarm/chrono such as a158,f84w,f91w just to name a few. Done so many,I can do them in my sleep.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Sorry to be so obtuse dw5600, but is the "lock" the black square between the two metal prongs with a hole in it's center ? If so, should I lift up on that or push in on it or what ? So far, I haven't seemed to be able to make it budge at all.

·
Moderator G-Shock Forum
21,555 Posts
wolf01 said:

Hi Wolf,

Sorry for the late reply. Yes you can bend it a little, just enough to pop up the battery, like in my picture.

Don't forget to reset the watch. More complex modules might fail direct or after a while if not reset.

Cheers,

Sjors

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
wolf01 said:
Sorry to be so obtuse dw5600, but is the "lock" the black square between the two metal prongs with a hole in it's center ? If so, should I lift up on that or push in on it or what ? So far, I haven't seemed to be able to make it budge at all.
Should I be trying to lift the metal piece up off of the black plastic piece, or does the black plastic piece itself rise to release the metal piece ?

·
Registered
554 Posts
Arrrghhh...this is a lot easier than you think.

Look at the picture sjors has placed the red arrow on.

The tip of the arrow is on a black rectangular hole/shadow.

Use a pin or sewing needle, point first into this hole i.e. straight into the picture on the pc screen.

Then move the top of the needle left and the spring clip will twang upwards (out of the picture)

Lift that edge of the battery (pry it up carefully with the needle) and slide it out of the recess.

slip the new battery in the same way then press the clip back down till it latches.

You are only bending the battery clip up by 20 to 30 degrees, don't try 90 degrees or it will never be the same again!!!

Does this help? You will die when you discover how easy this is, I expect I could fit a new battery to that module in about 10 seconds max...

regards, Carrot

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
Greetings ALL,
I know Sjors great site provides info for this topic, but if there ever was a push pin topic it was this. Is it not done so as to avoid any irrate voided warranty complaints? Obviously a disclaimer is necessary. Thanks you. Just my 0.02:thanks

·
Moderator G-Shock Forum
21,555 Posts
Hi Wolf,

Like carrot says, check the lat pic I posted. The battery almost releases itself here. Only needs to pull up the lock for a few mm, just to slip the battery under the lip of the lock. I think 10 seconds is a bit fast, a battery could be changed in 30 secs easily...

Cheers,

Sjors

·
Registered
168 Posts
Sjors said:

Don't forget to reset the watch. More complex modules might fail direct or after a while if not reset.

Cheers,

Sjors
Just curious, but what do you mean exactly by "reset the watch"? How do you do that? :think:

·
Moderator G-Shock Forum
21,555 Posts
sam said:
Just curious, but what do you mean exactly by "reset the watch"? How do you do that? :think:

Hi Sam,

The resetting procedure is quiet easy. On most modules (it only occured to me once I couldn't find any) you'll find a contact (mostly a little hole, but in Wolf's module it's the big contact near the battery).

You need to short circuit this contact with the back of the battery (positive side) after placing the battery. The best way to do that is with a metal shart point pincet, but I usally use a staple and a miniature screwdriver. If the reset has been succesfully, the watch start's at 12:00:00. If not, repeat the reset operation until it works. Usually one reset is enough, but I had a very persistant Codename which needed 5 reset attempts before it started.

Cheers,

Sjors

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
Carrot, your words

"Use a pin or sewing needle, point first into this hole i.e. straight into the picture on the pc screen. Then move the top of the needle left and the spring clip will twang upwards (out of the picture)" ------ were just what I needed to finally understand and "unlock" the battery holddown . From there, 10 seconds was actually enough time to change the battery! That mission accomplished. Thanks everyone.

However, a new problem: while I would swear that the plastic back practically fell off after I removed the four screws originally, I cannot get the dang thing to go back into position to complete the job (it almost seems like the back has expanded so as to no longer fit). Does that back need to be forced back in place or what? (My Casio has no gasketing to complicate matters).

I hope everyone stays patient with me.

·
Moderator G-Shock Forum
21,555 Posts
Hi Wolf,

a module normally fits very tight in it's case. It sometimes won't "sink"completelt. If you have that sewing pin near you, try to move the button lips over the button tops, that are probably blocking the module from sinking down (I asume you checked trhe module is places in the right position. The time upside down is a bit looking weird:)). I also hope there wasn't a loose alarm spring in your module. Your alarms won't work if there was one and you lost it....

Good Luck!

Cheers,

Sjors

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
With the module not even in the case I still can't get the back to go into position on the case! I don't give up easy, but........

1 - 20 of 34 Posts