WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I currently have 5 watches (the 5 underneath the Seamaster in my signature below) that I am thinking about consolidating for one tough diver. I've recently been consolidating my other collections (guns, knives, etc) to one good quality user/tool - now for the watches. I am trying to keep it in the low $1k's, but it's tough. Basically I have several watches and only 1 running at a time. I have bought each one saying I'll wear them and not worry about them, but that never happens. I'm looking for a big, tough, solid automatic diver that won't show wear that much. Something I can wear to work in an office environment, sweat in when I need to get in the field, snorkel/dive and play in the sand with the kids at the beach.

The Sinn U1 keeps calling me name, but it's a little more than I can spend. Recently I've been looking at the Zixen Nitrox II with sapphire bezel insert - this initially seems to fit the bill. I am just not too familiar with the Zixen product and how their fit, finish, toughness is for the price. Welcome all opinions and suggestions!

·
Registered
885 Posts
The Sinn U1 keeps calling me name, but it's a little more than I can spend.
Zixen divers are well known around here for their fit, finish and toughness (I'm sure quite a few will attest to this), however, if the U1 is calling you, it is best to save up and answer the call because you will likely buy watches trying to fill its spot but you never will until you buy it. Better to just go for the one you REALLY want other than buying/flipping others until you eventually get the one...

·
Registered
1,940 Posts
Stowa Prodiver

·
Banned
4,512 Posts
How is it that the Seamaster doesn't fulfill this need? just sell the others if you don't want to wear them, they all seem to be tough enough. if you won't wear a Seiko in these situations why would you risk a more expensive watch?

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
+1. If it's a Seamaster Pro (vs. an old non-pro), you've already got your tough watch. I say sell the TAG and a couple Seikos if you want a second tough diver such as an O7 LM-6, Nitrox, MKII, etc.

How is it that the Seamaster doesn't fulfill this need? just sell the others if you don't want to wear them, they all seem to be tough enough. if you won't wear a Seiko in these situations why would you risk a more expensive watch?

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The only problem with going for the U1 is price. I can get a Nitrox II with both bands for less than the U1 on rubber.

I have a problem using my Seamaster as a "tool" watch. My wife bought it for me, and I'm anal about it. There are some shiny bits to it...It's more of my dress watch that I don't want to mess up, and I realize how silly that sounds.

I'm kind of the same way with the Seikos. They show marks/use more than I would like. Not having a sapphire crystal bothers me as well. I know the idea contradicts itself - spend more on a nicer quality auto diver, but one that I am not worried about using/wearing. Am I the only one that thinks this way :)?

·
Registered
3,811 Posts
If you are anal about your Omega, which I can understand, maybe this would work. Maybe tight under a dress shirt, but keep the Omega for that. This, brand new, is well under your budget, and I have worn mine doing chores, on my motorcycles, in fresh and salt water, and it just plain works. I afjusted it so it runs +/- 2 seconds a day. The lume on m ine is weak but i think that has been improved. And you can wear ir with rubber, SS or leather.

paul

·
Registered
14,860 Posts
I currently have 5 watches (the 5 underneath the Seamaster in my signature below) that I am thinking about consolidating for one tough diver. I've recently been consolidating my other collections (guns, knives, etc) to one good quality user/tool - ...
I agree that if you really want a U1, then sell the rest except the Omega since it was a gift from someone special. As someone who has spent years collecting knives that are excellent user/tool pieces, consolidating those into one is a bad idea. With knives, you need back-ups and plenty of them. Especially since many of them are designed for specialized chores. The most experienced camper I ever met carried back-up knives for his back-up knives when he went out into the woods.

·
Registered
1,787 Posts
A pre-owned Sinn U1 should be less than the Zixen....

Bob

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
U1 is a TOUGH watch. If you are set on it, don't settle for less! Zixen is supposed to be a very tough watch as well. Either way I don't think you could go wrong :)

·
Registered
352 Posts
Stowa Prodiver +2.
$1100 brand new.
You can't get a tougher diver for that money.

·
Registered
3,821 Posts
You are in the exact same situation I was a month ago. I had 6 auto divers and decided that i wanted to slim down the collection and get one really nice piece to wear most of the time. The Sinn U1 has always been my grail, so I took a leap of faith and sold my modded SKX007, Samurai and Deep Blue Master 2000 to fund the U1. I love the U1 in every way. It has a unique design that is destined to be a classic and looks good in a variety of situations. The Tegimented bezel is nearly has hard as ceramic, making pre owned models look like new. Very difficult to scratch and even the regular sub steel on the case is twice as hard as stainless. People on the Sinn forum frequently post photos of U series watches that are a year or two old and they look like new. I picked up a pre-owned model from the sales forum on rubber and it looks like new even though I am the third owner. Top grade 2824 runs -1 second a day. Used U1's pop up frequently on the forum for around $1200 or so USD. Go for it!! It is a good complement to your Seamaster. I am a bracelet guy, but the U1 is perfect on rubber.

Here is more on my experience and a bit of an editorial on what you gain from a step up from affordable divers.

https://www.watchuseek.com/f67/yet-another-sinn-u1-review-what-do-you-really-get-over-%241k-484419.html

Just a word of warning, I parred down my automatic collection to an Orange Monster, Bluering and the Sinn. Of course I just picked up a Spork, so the parring down process isn't always successful.

·
Registered
662 Posts
Nothing wrong with buying a new watch, but if you keep the SM and one of the Seikos (probably the sammi, esp. if it's the steel model with the slightly better movement), you already have a dressy diver and a beater. If you're really going to use it as a tool watch, there's nothing out there that won't eventually show some wear, whether stainless, tegimented stainless, Ti or PVD, (or other coating).

·
Registered
1,532 Posts
I guess when y’all see Pops chiming in, you know which watch I’m gonna suggest…LOL

I don’t have this one yet, but from what I’ve read. They’re great tools and with it’s 13.5mm and 14.5mm height measurements‘. They’ll fit under your long sleeve shirt. Which is the UTS 1000M and 500M respectively. Although you’re gonna have to find one used to fit into your budget of staying just over the 1K plus mark.

Fooled y’all, HUH….:-d....Ok, Ok, I won’t disappoint....:roll:

For 6 - 7 hundred bucks used and or just shy of 9 hundred bucks, at $880 new and only 14mm in height…IMO you can’t go wrong in considering a Vortex…plus another “C” note if you want to purchase a Benarus Bead Blasted Mesh for it (which give‘s the Vortex a little weight). It’s got an ETA for an engine, so it’s readily serviceable, if and when it’s needed.

One other benefit is (from what I’ve seen on the sales boards), if you decide it isn’t for you. The Vortex will sell very well or easily.

Pops

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
Get what you want. Don't settle on something else. It will save you money in the long run. I am not saying other micro brew watches such as Zixen is not worth it. I own one myself and love it. Excellent quality, good design, etc. It just wears too big for my small wrist.

Good luck with your choice.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts