WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5,406 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is the one that started it all, a Gruen Precision Autowind. It was a gift from the woman that I eventually married. I received it new in 1969. I recently took it out of the safe to wear on our 39th anniversary and noticed one of the black inserts on a number marker had come loose. My Problem: I can't figure out how to open the case in order to fix the marker. The only markings on the case back are the words GRUEN and 14k. What appears to be a seam in the below photo, isn't.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.
N

·
Registered
5,315 Posts
Probably a through-the-crystal style of one-piece case with a split stem. You need a crystal lift to remove the crystal first. Under the crystal there's probably a little retaining ring that holds the movment down. After that, on some you can just lift the movement out after aligning the crown so that the split is vertical. On others, you have to gently pry the crown out (the female part of the stem has just enough give to let the stem pop out). Of course, if you're just working on the dial, you don't need to remove the movement, but I'm figuring this probably needs a service if it's been in storage for a while...

·
Registered
7,743 Posts
1 - 4 of 4 Posts