WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys,

Today is my B-Day and my wife did pretty good job at finding a watch (hu, hu, hum...well...I might have set-up a folder with a ton of links with ratings called "favorite watches").

Anyway I got this sharp Jacques Lemans GMT - World Time - 10 ATM - #GU200D.
The box is very nice, the watch is good heft and balance, clean details under a loop, the band feels good and band moves nicely. With my customers all over the world and travel, I gravitate toward GMT and world time watches.

I would like your help of three issues:

1. With my small wrists I'm not sure if I can handle this 44mm. See photo below.
  2. I know this is not a dive watch but with 10 AMT I expected the crown to screw down. Press and press and it still sticks out a 1/2 mm. Also the instructions are for every JL watch ever sold but not a GMT. I can find nothing about the crown except to press it in.
  3. Do you know of a GMT or world time watch that is under 39mm, hopefully Swiss made, mechanical (this JL is quartz), waterproof and under $350?
Please feel free to give opinions on size issue, crown and especially a different recommended watch. If I felt better about the size and crown I might keep this one.

Thanks,

Bulldawg

Attachments

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
nice looking watch! Your wife did a good job!!

Regarding size of the watch, I think it looks pretty good. If you're used to 40mm and below, it may take a bit for you to get used to, but this doesn't seem too big...

As for water resistance, I wouldn't expect a screw-down crown on a watch with a rating of 10atm. Getting caught in the rain is probably the extent of what you would want to do. I certainly wouldn't go swimming with this watch.

You might want to check out the GMT selection of watches at Longislandwatch.com - they have a very nice selection and probably something you might like.

If you willing to look at diver style watches and have a budget of around 350 or so, you may be able to find a Bernhardt Globemaster for sale on the forum. That is a beautiful watch and will more than certainly be great for water.

·
Registered
561 Posts
I have quite few world timers in my collection, but none mechanical.
I did see a Marco Polo Mechanical World Time Watch Silver which is about $150 and apparently a very practical world timer.
Not sure if it's Swiss, but it's 17 jewel manual wind and only 37mm diameter and on Amazon there is also a user comment, which is useful.

If we are allowed direct links - this is it - http://www.amazon.com/Marco-Polo-Mechanical-World-Silver/dp/B000BZ6QGG

·
11,865 Posts
Well this one is mechanical (automatic), world time not GMT, 41mm case but wears smaller, way under $350 at $65, but NOT Swiss. Check Orients other offerings if you can live with a quality Japanese Movt.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi Guys,

Thanks for the quick answers.

Heyman - I never thought about a dive watch with GMT. The Bernhardt Globemaster and the soon coming Bernhardt Binnacle look great and smaller than most new dive watches. Also I think the way they modified the date on the ETA to be the GMT hand makes it very unique.

Sixtysix - The Orient Automatic with the GMT and world time run $350 and not $65; can you point out a better website source than what I could google? I'm not at all predigest on Japanese or Chinese movements; just this JL was Swiss and would like to keep raise a good challenge here.

Boswell - thanks for the tip on Marco Polo Mechanical World Time! This might be my next watch, they all hit my requirements.

I think I will lose those extra links and keep the the 44mm Jacques Leman. But before I do I will get 100% clarification on the 1/2mm gap under the crown (when pressed all the way in). That still worries me.

If anyone knows of something else please feel free to post. There will always be more b-days and Christmas coming.

THX, Bulldawg

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hi Boswell,

I looked at the Marco Polo website and absolutely memorized all the watches! I don't know if you noticed on the first three watches, there is a SS bracelet unavailable at the same cost as the leather. It looks nice highly polished and the crowns are different too.

I know it is not the same but sixth and seventh down looks a little like my Massimo Blainco from Minnor without the second adjustment crown. The world time on the Massimo moves in 24 hour cycle. http://www.minnor.com/proview.asp?proid=1150&protitle=Massimo watch 2

The below were my first watch photos before I found the macro on my camera.

I think that top Marco Polo will hopefully be my next watch.

Cheers,

Bulldawg

Attachments

·
Registered
453 Posts
The Seiko SBQJ017 (White dial) & SBQJ015 (Black dial) may suite your requirements.

Watch costs 400 USD shipped from Japan.

It is not swiss and not mechanical.

However, it is titanium with scratch resistant coating, has a 10 year battery, accurate to 20 seconds a year, has a perpetual calendar, is 39 mm in size and is 10 bar water resistance. It also has a GMT hand, and an individually set hour hand.

·
Registered
561 Posts
Hi Boswell,

I looked at the Marco Polo website and absolutely memorized all the watches! I don't know if you noticed on the first three watches, there is a SS bracelet unavailable at the same cost as the leather. It looks nice highly polished and the crowns are different too.

I know it is not the same but sixth and seventh down looks a little like my Massimo Blainco from Minnor without the second adjustment crown. The world time on the Massimo moves in 24 hour cycle. http://www.minnor.com/proview.asp?proid=1150&protitle=Massimo watch 2

The below were my first watch photos before I found the macro on my camera.

I think that top Marco Polo will hopefully be my next watch.

Cheers,

Bulldawg
Hi Bulldawg,
It looks as if there is some cross-migration of cases/movements between a few different brands here. But they are all pretty neat watches with some slight differences - with these minor options it's quite nice to pick out one that suits your own requirements more closely.
I would be tempted myself, but for the fact I'm negociating for a pre-owned Vacheron Constantin, which will be my big purchase for this year - so cash is now offiically (according to my wife - :-( )......tight!

Best of luck with whatever you decide - if you get it please post a pic..:-!

·
Registered
1,367 Posts
Do you know of a GMT or world time watch that is under 39mm, hopefully Swiss made, mechanical (this JL is quartz), waterproof and under $350?
A swiss made mechanical GMT usually means the ETA 2893 movement, which is pretty expensive. The best deal I can think of is:

http://www.watchseller.com/atworgmtss.html

But I can't think of any new watches under $350 for auto GMT.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks guys,

I will not get that watch resized yet. But the wife is asking if I will keep it. I think I know what that means in "wife language".

Spluurfg - That Atlantic Worldmaster GMT is a beauty and ETA 2893

Boswell - Good luck with the
Vacheron Constantin, post a photo when you get it. You might have to PM me because I don't get over to the Vacheron Constantin section too often (mostly in affordable watches or Chinese mechanical).

Naturally - A good Seiko is always a classic. My uncle gave me my first automatic and it was a Seiko.

Thanks, Bulldawg

·
Affordables Moderator
17,578 Posts
Can't go wrong with a Bernhardt!
I have the diver style Globemaster:

but Fred is remaking the originals with the GMT bezels too.

It is a solid piece of steel, I never forget I have it on! There is also the Debaufre sub/diver GMT, though I am not sure how much they are going for now.

Cheers,
Griff

1 - 13 of 13 Posts