WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I'm a newbie and I need some help. I would like to get my husband a new watch for X-mas but am having problems figuring out a model that would fit the bill. I am seeking a durable daily wear watch that would be a step up from what he is currently wearing (and recently broke the crystal), a Timex Expedition http://www.timex.com/gp/product/B0007PJR2A/sr=1-3/qid=1196877407/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&m=A1S5XB33AHYRMX&timexBrand=core . My husband works a corporate job that on rare occasions calls for him to move stuff around in the server room. He also likes to do handyman type stuff around the house on the weekends. He likes to wear his watch through all these activities so his daily wear watch typically take a beating. I would like to get him something that will look nice when he is wearing around the office but will take the abuse. I would like to spend $100 or less (most likely at a site like Overstock or Shop NBC) on his watch. Do you all have any suggestions about appropriate brands/model numbers I should be considering?

:thanks

·
Affordables Moderator
17,574 Posts
If he is open to an automatic, how about an Invicta 8926? They are readily available at ShopNBC and a great value for the price. I work in IT and have to haul computers/move servers/install switches etc and have done it many times with that watch on with no problems.

It is also available in variations, like with this gray dial:

I hope this helps!
Griff

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Looks like a sharp watch! Thanks for the pix. Do you have experience with other Invicta models? Like the some the multifunction or master calendar watches? I'm not sure if he would appreciate the strong "diver" style of this particular model.

·
Registered
797 Posts
Hello,

How about a Casio G-shock watch. Lots of choice of models for under $100. Many of these models can be found at your local JCPenny in the US or The Bay in Canada.

http://www.casio.com/products/Timepiece/G-Shock/
(prices are manufacturer suggested price - often can be cheaper)

Shock resistant. 200m water depth rating. Mineral crystal (ie hardened glass, not plastic). Recessed design helps protect glass from scratches.

Scroll down and look at G100 model; this is a similar style to the Timex expedition in case he likes analog/digital combinations, and can be had for much less than $100.
http://www.casio.com/products/Timepiece/G-Shock/G100-1BV/

There are even G-shock models that are solar powered and have waveceptor.
waveceptor = every night it receives the radio time signal of the atomic clock at colorado and synchronizes itself. Many also have multiple time zones.

I got the GW810 (new) for much less than $100. Metal bracelet watch.
http://www.casio.com/products/Timepiece/G-Shock/GW810_Series/product/GW810D-1A/

Good luck

·
Registered
13,407 Posts
Looks like a sharp watch! Thanks for the pix. Do you have experience with other Invicta models? Like the some the multifunction or master calendar watches? I'm not sure if he would appreciate the strong "diver" style of this particular model.
I think a pretty common opinion of Invicta watches around here is that while there are many solid models, at times their quality control can be lacking and they can be difficult to deal with in repair issues. In the price range you're looking at I'd not have qualms about an Invicta but I'd not spend big money on one personally.

·
Registered
181 Posts
I would like to spend $100 or less (most likely at a site like Overstock or Shop NBC) on his watch. Do you all have any suggestions about appropriate brands/model numbers I should be considering?

:thanks

You can also consider the Orient line of watches. Most of the following examples will fit your budget. Though I'm not sure if OverStock or SNBC carries them.

Btw, forget Fossil, you might be better off getting their Zodiac line for less than $100. You can find them in most Fossil outlet stores. Great value IMHO.

Attachments

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hello,

How about a Casio G-shock watch. Lots of choice of models for under $100. Many of these models can be found at your local JCPenny in the US or The Bay in Canada.

http://www.casio.com/products/Timepiece/G-Shock/
(prices are manufacturer suggested price - often can be cheaper)

Shock resistant. 200m water depth rating. Mineral crystal (ie hardened glass, not plastic). Recessed design helps protect glass from scratches.

Scroll down and look at G100 model; this is a similar style to the Timex expedition in case he likes analog/digital combinations, and can be had for much less than $100.
http://www.casio.com/products/Timepiece/G-Shock/G100-1BV/

There are even G-shock models that are solar powered and have waveceptor.
waveceptor = every night it receives the radio time signal of the atomic clock at colorado and synchronizes itself. Many also have multiple time zones.

I got the GW810 (new) for much less than $100. Metal bracelet watch.
http://www.casio.com/products/Timepiece/G-Shock/GW810_Series/product/GW810D-1A/

Good luck
I didn't know that Casio G-shock came with a metal band. Could you tell me if the band feel/looks substanial or is it kind of flimsy like my husband's Expedition?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
You can also consider the Orient line of watches. Most of the following examples will fit your budget. Though I'm not sure if OverStock or SNBC carries them.

Btw, forget Fossil, you might be better off getting their Zodiac line for less than $100. You can find them in most Fossil outlet stores. Great value IMHO.
The Orient watches look nice. Could you tell me the features and model number of the third watch you posted?

·
Registered
181 Posts
LongIsland is an authorized seller. You will notice the prices will be slightly above your budget because as an authorized dealer, they offer standard manufacturer warranty. Now, if you want to get these at a lower price, say you can get these watches at less than $99 each you can look in eBay. Downside is they don't offer the manufacturer's warranty but most of them will accept returns or exchanges if upon receipt of the watch you found a defect. I'm not sure about the other retailers. You can also visit the "Seiko, Citizen and Orient" forum in this site, guys over there might know other retailers.

Btw, here are the model nos. arranged as they appeared in my previous post.

Mako - CEM65002D(blue dial)
CEM65001B(black dial)
CEM65006D(blue dial/pepsi bezel)

Sub - 2ER00002B(black dial)
2ER00002D(blue dial)

Slide Rule - CEM58002

·
Registered
797 Posts
Hi,

My GW810 metal band is pretty rugged and is stainless steel. Links are pretty thick and strong - it is definitely not flimsy. As well it should be, for G-shock are reknown for their toughness. Pretty well every big box store has some metal band G-shocks; drop in next time and check out the band's sturdiness for yourself.

For some fun reading on the toughness of G-shocks, a scuba diver ran a serious of torture tests upon his G-shock.
https://www.watchuseek.com/showthread.php?t=57302&highlight=dw-9052+torture

I think G-shock's give the best bang-for-buck in terms of durability and features.

Happy hunting.

·
Registered
2,093 Posts
LongIsland is an authorized seller. You will notice the prices will be slightly above your budget because as an authorized dealer, they offer standard manufacturer warranty. Now, if you want to get these at a lower price, say you can get these watches at less than $99 each you can look in eBay. Downside is they don't offer the manufacturer's warranty but most of them will accept returns or exchanges if upon receipt of the watch you found a defect. I'm not sure about the other retailers. You can also visit the "Seiko, Citizen and Orient" forum in this site, guys over there might know other retailers.

Btw, here are the model nos. arranged as they appeared in my previous post.

Mako - CEM65002D(blue dial)
CEM65001B(black dial)
CEM65006D(blue dial/pepsi bezel)

Sub - 2ER00002B(black dial)
2ER00002D(blue dial)

Slide Rule - CEM58002

I can second the vote for an Orient. I had one from the bay a while back a Blue Mako. It was an awesome watch and at under $100.00 there really is nothing else like it in terms of quality and looks. The blue dial model is stunning. A very accurate entry level automatic too.

I would highly reccomend the Orient or the Seiko 5 line of dive watches which are in your price range. The Orient Mako has a better bracelet and movement than the Seiko but you really can't go wrong with either. If you wanted to spend around $160.00 or so 21jewels.com has a nice selection of Seiko SKX dive watches such as the SKX007, SKX009.

I think for the money you will not find a better watch than the japanese models. Invicta or any other brand is fine but in my opinion I would say in terms of quality and value there really is no comparison.

I wish my wife had the idea like you to go on a watch forum and research a cool watch for me! He is a lucky guy!:-!

Robzilla:-!

·
Registered
2,093 Posts
One last thing. Overstock and Shop NBC are fine retailers but generally their prices are higher and I have had more defectives from Overstock than anywhere else!

Robzilla

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
One last thing. Overstock and Shop NBC are fine retailers but generally their prices are higher and I have had more defectives from Overstock than anywhere else!

Robzilla
Where else should I be looking to shop? I don't feel real comfortable with the idea of shopping on Ebay but would love to have your input on other shopping options.

·
Affordables Moderator
17,574 Posts
Long Island Watch, highly recommended!

The third Orient in the pic you referenced is a titanium cased automatic with slide rule bezel. They come in black, gray and I think white dials. I have the grey that I also got from ShopNBC awhile back. About two years ago they had a famous $50 off coupon, so I got the Invicta 8926 and the Orient for $100. Unfortunately they haven't had a deal like that in awhile.

As was mentioned, you can find Orients on eBay for less, but they are 'gray market' and don't have a manufacturer's warranty. Long Island Watch is an authorized dealer, and Marc is a great guy.

Cheers,
Griff

·
Registered
17 Posts
I am in the IT field also and I have this watch. It is a good watch. I got this one and the blue faced version and they were pretty rugged and worked flawlessly until I stopped wearing them. After that, I have had issues trying to get the blue faced one running properly after it sat in a box for 13 months (probably just needs to be serviced).

By the way, in case you haven't noticed, watch collecting is habit forming. I just get into all the small gears and springs that makes a watch work.

If he is open to an automatic, how about an Invicta 8926? They are readily available at ShopNBC and a great value for the price. I work in IT and have to haul computers/move servers/install switches etc and have done it many times with that watch on with no problems.

It is also available in variations, like with this gray dial:

I hope this helps!
Griff

1 - 20 of 23 Posts