WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

Need help with Universal Geneve watch

4K views 8 replies 6 participants last post by  dougcee 
#1 ·
Hi

Is this Universal Geneve pilots watch (it is listed and described as pilots watch)?
Did Universal Geneve produced pilot watches?

Thanx in advance

See less See more
#5 ·
Watches that are "military" usually have some kind of stampings/engraving on the caseback.
Ask for a pic of the caseback!

#6 ·
I'm not a UG expert, but they most definitely made pilots watches .. what we now call chronographs.

That looks like a 1940s / 50s style dress watch. Doesn't look like a military watch to me.

I think by the late 1950s the Polarouters and Compax's pretty much dominated their offerings.

PS - Do a search for a Universal Geneve Tri-compax moon phase for some watch ....

#7 ·
From what I can tell, the most famous UG military watches are the ones like this which were issued to the Dutch armed forces at the start of WWII

#8 · (Edited)
Does it have microrotor automatic wind movement? This a small sized rotor now used by the most expensive watch makers. It was first in the Polarouter named plain dial watch advertised as used by pilots on northern route Euro. to U.S. I have one. Will try a photo. double click photo for better view. this has screw on glass back. So I guess it could have been called a pilot's watch because of the general association of U.G. with pilots through their advertising. At any rate yours is worth having.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.